wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system

I was just wondering what the cheapest solution would be to run wtfplay. A notebook seems like the most convenient option. It seems it would not need to have too much processing power. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Depends how patient you are. Fredryck has stated he is working to port to a Odroid or similar SOC type system. This will hopefully provide a nice low power, low noise and low cost option.

No idea what the release date is though.

Modern low powered Intel (e.g. Atom, Celeron) processors should work fine so a decent notebook with a usb DAC should be fine. You'll need enough ram for your largest track of course.

i586 CPU

Hi, super noob question i guess.
I'm trying to install in an old thin client (maybe hp t5000, it's not in the original case so i don't know precisely). I think i've tried all the iso, same error:
"This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i586 CPU.
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU."

Is there a solution or it's impossible to install on this device?

Regards, Marco.

I have tried to reproduce a similar system with my sparky board (running dietpi)
I have made a very simple script that does the following:
- deactivates the network interface
- stops various programs (those I typically use for audio, and the ssh server)
- mounts an SD card where I have my music files
- creates a ram disk and copies files to the ram disk
- plays file from the ram disk with aplay (and period/buffer settings)

Obviously I do not have a working ncurses interface to allow me to make and run the playlist.

Are there additional tunings that are included in wtfplay or is this basically what wtfplay is doing?

Coming from using an Acer cloudbook running fidelizer and smallplayer, I tried and could not get wtfplay to work. Processor is celeron n3050. So pulled out an old ThinkPad maybe 8 years old, and succeeded.
Absolutely floored by the transcendental jump in quality. Much more low level detail. Imaging and soundstage improvement. Organic quality like analogue.
Thanks Frd.
I'll have to recalibrate my whole approach to computer playback.
I love the UI. It reminds me of what is required to cue up a record. And as others have recounted, I now listen to the whole album because the music is so easy to listen to.
Jay

wtfplay-live 0.7 is out

Hi there,

It has been a while since the last release, but here it is. After a long break wtfplay-live 0.7 is available for download.

No new features this time, but many changes under the hood: new kernels are there and everything else got smaller. Hopefully SQ won't disappoint. Please check out the release notes here: wtfplay-project.org.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the new release!
Just one note - in case of DSD256 content with default hpet timer setting wtfplay frequently loosed ddc connection (Matrix audio x-spdif 2 with ifi iPurifier3). But all ok after increasing hpet timer to 4096 by following command:
echo -n 4096 | tee /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq

0.7, core7-avx, kernel 34.

Last edited:
Thank you !!!

Hi there,

It has been a while since the last release, but here it is. After a long break wtfplay-live 0.7 is available for download.

No new features this time, but many changes under the hood: new kernels are there and everything else got smaller. Hopefully SQ won't disappoint. Please check out the release notes here: wtfplay-project.org.

Enjoy!

Thank you, there is a marked improvement in all cases than the previous version!
If only you had ssh remote controll would be the greatest! Maybe 2 versions, a minimal as now, and a remote control.
Greetings
Anto

Thanks frd, the new 0.7 is faster and better than the older 0.6.2.
Unfortunately i can not play DSD files with my dac Hegel H360 (AKM AK4450 chip).
No problem, i convert DSD files to wav 24/192 and playing with wtf-live, the sound is amazing, much better than playing DSD files with all the other player i tried.
Thanks again
Greetings from Norway.