wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system

@promisc: Ubuntu works because it loads a fully featured driver for your graphics adapter (to run Waylaynd, or whatever else they run). wtfplay-live rides on what's has been intialised by the firmware, which has literally very basic functions only.

QUIRK_FLAG_DSD_RAW requires rebuilding the kernel, there is no way around it. But to see if it is even feasible, the first step is to see PHA's UAC descriptors:

cat /proc/asound/cardX/stream0

This should be start. X is the card number assigned for PHA. Later: lsusb -v for PHA. This could be executed on any Linux and should give some clue on what may be going on. Wireshrk USB capture under Windows is also a good idea, especially if Sony chose to use vendor command to switch the device to DSD mode.

And finally, nice remote control. I use BT to UART adapter.

@Henkie01: I am guessing that when you say "an USB port on the same computer" you mean the built-in USB port. Is this happening with any USB DAC (sound card) or just a specific one? What sort of computer is this? Do you know what kind of USB controller chip it has? Did you try it on different computer? From your brief description this sounds like somethign specific to your hardware.

You can try running "lspci" and this will print the identifiers of all PCI devices in your computer, including the built-in USB controllers. Also, after wtfplay prints the error, try running "dmesg" to see the kernel log. I am just curious if it prints anyting interesting there.

In the past there was a problem with PCI card USB controllers that were based on Renesas chips and certain USB/I2S interfaces, such as Amanero with an old firmware. USB driver was failing to configure Renesas controller to operate under parameters requsted by Amanero. The controller did not like one of the bus interval values. I think the firmware update made the issue dissappear completely.

Hi @frd__, thanks for the fast response.
I'm indeed talking about a normal built-in USB port. I tried on 2 different computers, one AMD, one Intel. Both give the same error. I only have one DAC (audial S5), so I can not test with a different one.

Regarding the linux commands you mention, i can post the outcome here if you want. Only dmesg scrolls immediatly to the end of the file so if you have a command so I can scroll through the file myself.

It seems that Audial S5 uses internally XMOS to convert from USB to I2S, so I do not expect issues there. I've been running various XMOS based USB/I2S adapters/DACS and never had any issue, on any system. I take into account that Audial might have customised XMOS firmware, but let's leave that for now.

I presume that your built-in USB ports are 3.x rather than 2.0. Just for completeness, is your Pink Faun card USB3 or USB2?

Once you trigger the error with wtfplay, the kernel error message is appended at the end of 'dmesg' output. I do not need to see the whole kernel log, just the end of it. You can post it here, or better email it at contact@wtfplay-project.org and we will take it from there.

F

@promisc: The intention behind making all ISO images was to make possible to check if CPU specific optimisations matter or not. So anyone could try it on his own computer hardware, in his own audio system, and draw his own conclussions, according to his own sound preferences. Does AVX matter? That was the exact question I had in mind before I built the AVX ISO :)

Reactions: 1 user