Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system
wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2016, 07:55 PM   #21
frd__ is offline frd__  Poland
diyAudio Member

Hi Joel,

As I mentioned before I just start the player with bunch of files and I do not have a need to go there too often. That however may not work for some people (most I think). I've been thinking how to tackle the topic without using network and I came across a possible solution at work, when searching for something in a computer lab. I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Serv.../dp/B00DXZIRRM

This baby is a KVM module that you can access remotely over VNC. Expensive, but seems perfect for audio PC without network access. Tried this at work, and the only downside is that you have to test the VNC protocol settings in the client. If you get them wrong, the video update is slow as hell.

Does this help a bit?

F
Old 2nd March 2016, 08:35 PM   #22
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hmmmm.... William of Occam's version....

Using a laptop next to the hifi and have output to larger monitor...that's the viewing sorted from across the room...text is way big enough to see.

Using cheapest Logitech wireless keyboard from my listening chair... thats the remote control sorted...
http://www.logitech.com/en-nz/produc...ss-combo-mk220

Just found a 10 metre vga cable in the "cable tangle hell" cupboard and now have the monitor at my listening chair too. I can select tracks start play then turn off the monitor while listening

Now, if only I could find the keystroke for pause/resume ???? hint hint

Last edited by DRONE7; 2nd March 2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added link
Old 3rd March 2016, 03:06 AM   #23
joelha is offline joelha  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE7 View Post
Hmmmm.... William of Occam's version....

Using a laptop next to the hifi and have output to larger monitor...that's the viewing sorted from across the room...text is way big enough to see.

Using cheapest Logitech wireless keyboard from my listening chair... thats the remote control sorted...
Logitech® Wireless Combo MK220

Just found a 10 metre vga cable in the "cable tangle hell" cupboard and now have the monitor at my listening chair too. I can select tracks start play then turn off the monitor while listening

Now, if only I could find the keystroke for pause/resume ???? hint hint
Both really interesting suggestions.

Just started listening tonight. I can't declare my opinion yet. I need more time. But I'm very intrigued. Certainly far more base. I'm excited.

Thanks particularly to "F". For someone to take so much of their personal time for the rest of us is very generous.

Joel
Old 6th March 2016, 09:54 AM   #24
AudioH is offline AudioH  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Excellent Software Player

Hi frd,

I have been trialling your software this weekend. This was my first try of a linux based player(generally I use JRiver MC under OS X)and have to say it's very good. I like the quick bootup, the simple interface and the quality of audio I am getting from my macbook pro and DDDAC is excellent, very clear and dynamic, very impressive, thank you.

For further revisions I would really like the ability to process ALAC files, I'm having to convert to flac at the moment, as all my CDs are ripped to iTunes.

All the best with you project, will definitely use.

Regards
Howard
Old 6th March 2016, 07:57 PM   #25
chumtoad is offline chumtoad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

May I ask, purely from a SQ perspective is network a complete non starter?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Old 7th March 2016, 10:21 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumtoad View Post
May I ask, purely from a SQ perspective is network a complete non starter?
I can not say that yet, not before I perform some tests. I am planning to make a build that supports NFS and simply compare. That will take me some time, especially that I already started implementing some other features such as DSD support, preserving settings over reboot and few minor optimizations here and there.

I noted all feature requests (network and others). I will publish a TODO list on the project website tonight.
Old 7th March 2016, 10:35 AM   #27
chumtoad is offline chumtoad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thank you and thank you too for your outstanding and selfless work on behalf of the community

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Old 8th March 2016, 03:30 PM   #28
lateboomer is online now lateboomer  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

This is first time I get known of this kvm over ip switch device. I think this device is quite an ingenious way to achieve remote control without running network on the server. If network is no good for SQ, then I rather it is not implemented or have an option to disable it. I have got old CAPS 2.0 server which using atom processor. Can I use it for this player?
Old 8th March 2016, 05:46 PM   #29
jplesset is offline jplesset  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't imagine why network would be a problem. Doesn't this player read the whole thing into RAM? If so, sound quality shouldn't care where the bits come from.

I use MPD, and have tried local SSD, hard drive, and network. I hear no difference at all between them.
Old 8th March 2016, 08:06 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

@lateboomer: what kind of Atom processor is this exactly? The core2 build should run on anything with SSE, SSE2, SSE3 and SSSE3.

wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback systemHide this!Advertise here!