wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system

I want to report that now I can output audio via SOtM tX-USBexp PCIe to USB Audio Card. Previously the card was taking power from mother board but didn't work, and I not sure where to connect to the mother board. So now I supply external 9V power to the card and the mother board able to detect the board and wtfplay can show the device list.

So now audio output beautifully, and wtfplay is intuitive and brisk to use. Give me very good feel-good factor that I can handle computer audio well. :)

@marcoc1712: I do not have in-depth knowledge about architecture of other
players that are out there to answer that. I can say that playing the stream
and not doing anything else at that time can be a difference. I am sure that
there are plenty of others as every player has a different ideas behind it.

Also, let's not forget that the player is just one of many software elements
involved in playback. The overall system configuration is equally important.

@lateboomer: Thanks for sharing the information. That's really good news.

PS. Sorry for late response. I've been traveling recently.

Order of tuning parameters

Does the order of the tuning parameters matter?

For example, if I run a command of: wtfcui -d hw:0 -p 60 -f 4096 -n 2

does that differ in any way from running: wtfcui -p 60 -d hw:0 -f 4096 -n 2 ?

I'm guessing not, but wanted to check and be sure.

And, as long as I'm asking, when will the next version of the player be posted? I don't want to push, but I love the player and so can't wait for it to evolve.

Joel

itwould be very nice if this could become next mpdpup...as a development target. modpup is not maintained anymore, but has an astonishing soundquality, plays as well from rm etc and is highly tuned for nest sq.

it was puppy based, included mpd as a player and some other nice features, including an newbie assistant for configuration. But first of all, i did not found any player which sounded better than mpdpup. One lack: runs only on x386, no arm etc.

frd,

i have very much enjoyed listening to your player over the last 2 weekends .

The instructions and your website are exemplary . I was able to play a large range of .wav files from rock to classical and it all sounds very fine.

The only problems I had were booting the system with my Paul Pang USB card in the PCI slot . When power is supplied to the card , the system will boot into Bios with no mouse or keyboard available to continue . If I disconnect the power supply to the card the boot process completes . I then supply power to the USB card and all is well.

Some .wav files will not play when selected into the GUI playlist column. The wav files appear in the column but will not play on ENTER command. I haven't tested this yet but I suspect the filenames may be too long , may have prohibited letters and symbols in them.

I highly recommend anyone interested in computer based music players audition wtfplay .

Some .wav files will not play when selected into the GUI playlist column. The wav files appear in the column but will not play on ENTER command. I haven't tested this yet but I suspect the filenames may be too long , may have prohibited letters and symbols in them.

Bear in mind that files are loaded to ram before playing.
Check the file size vs the available ram.
It takes a while to load large files and nothing appears to be happening so wait some, then wait some more, if you have ram enough...:)

Thanks for the suggestion Drone.

I started doing some troubleshooting and went for your suggestion as a starter. Unfortunately it didn't work.

However what seems to be common among the files that can't play is they were all 16 bit /44.1 .wav files downloaded from Qobuz . When I redownloaded them today from Qobuz in Flac they play very nicely , even in hires. 24bit at 88.2 in Flac loads quickly and plays beautifully. Same albums.

So the question is are there different kinds of .wav files. ? Not that it matters given wtfplay can do the alternative really well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion Drone.

I started doing some troubleshooting and went for your suggestion as a starter. Unfortunately it didn't work.

However what seems to be common among the files that can't play is they were all 16 bit /44.1 .wav files downloaded from Qobuz . When I redownloaded them today from Qobuz in Flac they play very nicely , even in hires. 24bit at 88.2 in Flac loads quickly and plays beautifully. Same albums.

So the question is are there different kinds of .wav files. ? Not that it matters given wtfplay can do the alternative really well.

Thank you for reporting the issue.

I suspect there are some extra header chunks in those wav files or the order of the chunks is different than in the canonical wav spec. Would you be able to share such wav file with me? The smallest one will do. You can use following email: contact@wtfplay-project.org

In the meantime I will try to download a wav file from Qobuz and see what is going on.

It's not possible at the moment without typing plenty of commands. This feature will be available in the next release. During first boot, wtfplay-live will create a small partition on the memory boot stick to store settings such as: default audio device, buffer settings and process priority, mixer settings and shell history.