wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system

Hi Joel,

As I mentioned before I just start the player with bunch of files and I do not have a need to go there too often. That however may not work for some people (most I think). I've been thinking how to tackle the topic without using network and I came across a possible solution at work, when searching for something in a computer lab. I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-ServSwitch-Wizard-Gateway/dp/B00DXZIRRM

This baby is a KVM module that you can access remotely over VNC. Expensive, but seems perfect for audio PC without network access. Tried this at work, and the only downside is that you have to test the VNC protocol settings in the client. If you get them wrong, the video update is slow as hell.

Does this help a bit?

F

Hmmmm.... William of Occam's version....

Using a laptop next to the hifi and have output to larger monitor...that's the viewing sorted from across the room...text is way big enough to see.

Using cheapest Logitech wireless keyboard from my listening chair... thats the remote control sorted...
http://www.logitech.com/en-nz/product/wireless-combo-mk220

:D:D:D

Just found a 10 metre vga cable in the "cable tangle hell" cupboard and now have the monitor at my listening chair too. I can select tracks start play then turn off the monitor while listening

Now, if only I could find the keystroke for pause/resume ???? ;) hint hint :)

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... William of Occam's version....

Using a laptop next to the hifi and have output to larger monitor...that's the viewing sorted from across the room...text is way big enough to see.

Using cheapest Logitech wireless keyboard from my listening chair... thats the remote control sorted...
Logitech® Wireless Combo MK220

:D:D:D

Just found a 10 metre vga cable in the "cable tangle hell" cupboard and now have the monitor at my listening chair too. I can select tracks start play then turn off the monitor while listening

Now, if only I could find the keystroke for pause/resume ???? ;) hint hint :)

Both really interesting suggestions.

Just started listening tonight. I can't declare my opinion yet. I need more time. But I'm very intrigued. Certainly far more base. I'm excited.

Thanks particularly to "F". For someone to take so much of their personal time for the rest of us is very generous.

Joel

Excellent Software Player

Hi frd,

I have been trialling your software this weekend. This was my first try of a linux based player(generally I use JRiver MC under OS X)and have to say it's very good. I like the quick bootup, the simple interface and the quality of audio I am getting from my macbook pro and DDDAC is excellent, very clear and dynamic, very impressive, thank you.

For further revisions I would really like the ability to process ALAC files, I'm having to convert to flac at the moment, as all my CDs are ripped to iTunes.

All the best with you project, will definitely use.

Regards
Howard

May I ask, purely from a SQ perspective is network a complete non starter?

I can not say that yet, not before I perform some tests. I am planning to make a build that supports NFS and simply compare. That will take me some time, especially that I already started implementing some other features such as DSD support, preserving settings over reboot and few minor optimizations here and there.

I noted all feature requests (network and others). I will publish a TODO list on the project website tonight.

This is first time I get known of this kvm over ip switch device. I think this device is quite an ingenious way to achieve remote control without running network on the server. If network is no good for SQ, then I rather it is not implemented or have an option to disable it. I have got old CAPS 2.0 server which using atom processor. Can I use it for this player?

:) That is very cool which the computer is sitting unused at the moment. Anyway, I hope this player could also turn into NAA setup, which HQplayer will do heavy lifting by doing upsampling to quad dsd, and then pass the upsampled file to wtfplay to play. Will this hit more birds with one stone?

I am able to get my CAPS 2.0 playing and very happy right now. :) I don't have dac with me yet to try, not until this weekend, so I plug in the ear phone jack to the mother board and music is playing no problem at all. There is only one audio device identifier: hw:0

Anyway, I got a SOtM tX-USBexp PCIe to USB Audio Card attached to the mother board, and it comes with one Windows driver cd:
SOtM Ultimate High Performance Audio

How do I make sure wtfplay able to output usb audio via this card?

@lateboomer: Based on the info on the USB card webpage it is supported under Linux. See 'OS Support' section. I would not expect any issues here. I believe this is USB 2.0 card and there is unified driver for USB 2.0 host controllers in Linux. wtfplay-live kernel has it.

Hope this helps.

F

In terms of licensing: wtfplay and uwtfplay are not under GPL, wtfcui source code be available under GPL when I make some code cleanups.

F

Hi, as a programmer interested in better understand your work, shall I ask you wich libraries are you using to decode FLAC and to operate with ALSA sound system? Are you willing to share your code or thecnical documentation as a reference? (I know is not GPL).

Thanks, Marco.