Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system
wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2016, 06:33 AM   #11
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromperie View Post
My question is; why? If it is a self-interest project, all the best. If it sounds as good as Daphile but lacks all of the many other features, my question stands. The are plenty of other branches off other players that blossom then die. What makes all of the effort worthwhile rather than contributing to a current project?
If you're truly curious (?) you could read the documentation and find the points of difference but here's a quick summary...
It's fast to boot, does not need to be installed, does not require another machine to control it and it loads your music files into, and plays from, ram.(which explains the delay before the selected file plays)
From what I can gather the emphasis in development is on sq and not a slick web interface.
If you've ever tried to run Daphile from the local machine option and then try this player you will be very pleasantly surprised at the difference.

Celebrate diversity, not conformity.

Last edited by DRONE7; 1st March 2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 1st March 2016, 09:25 AM   #12
phofman is online now phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Please what is the license and are source codes available in case GPL applies to the player?
Old 1st March 2016, 10:47 AM   #13
frd__ is offline frd__  Poland
diyAudio Member

I will try to answer the recent questions:

Why I am doing it? It started as small experiment some time ago. Just curiosity, how far I can push Linux in terms of SQ. Tried some other players and after some trials realized that they would require much changes to do get them where I wanted. It was easier/quicker to start from scratch.

Later I shared this with my friends and they liked it. So why not sharing it with everybody else?

In terms of licensing: wtfplay and uwtfplay are not under GPL, wtfcui source code be available under GPL when I make some code cleanups.

F
Old 1st March 2016, 11:48 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd__ View Post
In terms of licensing: wtfplay and uwtfplay are not under GPL
Thanks. Then we can assume only non-GPL or LGPL libraries are used.
Old 1st March 2016, 12:53 PM   #15
jabbr is offline jabbr  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd__ View Post
Thanks all for the interest.

Network storage access: request noted. Will try NFS and CIFS, I'm not sure when though

F
For me personally I would opt for NFS.
First NFS being Linux's native network system, so it will have a close fit into the wtfplay distro and second all NAS-es I know do support NFS because they too are most often based on Linux.

CIFS on the other hand is most often switched on by default on commercial NAS-es, because most users are using Windows as their desktop system. NFS often has to be 'switched on'. I expect however a Linux OS has got to do more for a CIFS network than for an NFS, but I'm not completely sure on that one.

Looking forward to your progress with this project.

Cheers
Old 1st March 2016, 12:58 PM   #16
jabbr is offline jabbr  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromperie View Post
My question is; why? If it is a self-interest project, all the best. If it sounds as good as Daphile but lacks all of the many other features, my question stands. The are plenty of other branches off other players that blossom then die. What makes all of the effort worthwhile rather than contributing to a current project?
I can imagine (or I should say know) that to many features have a detrimental effect on sound quality, so it depends on what the aim of the developer is as to what purpose other players can have for his aims.

I assume he is not satisfied with other players, and to many gimmicks in a player spoil the music.
Old 1st March 2016, 01:07 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
Thanks. Then we can assume only non-GPL or LGPL libraries are used.
Correct.
Old 1st March 2016, 03:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

@Greg Stewart. I missed our post. The ESI Juli should work. I am saying "should" as I never tried this card myself. Also thanks for the suggestions.
Old 1st March 2016, 07:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Juli has had full support in linux for years.
Old 2nd March 2016, 01:47 PM   #20
joelha is offline joelha  United States
diyAudio Member

What are people using for servers (laptop or a server with monitor, keyboard, and mouse)?

And can you operate your server from where you sit or are you getting up and walking over to the server to operate it?

If the server is near where you sit and your audio system is a distance away, how are you connecting the server to the rest of your audio system?

Thanks,

Joel

wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback systemHide this!Advertise here!