Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system
wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2019, 07:40 PM   #181
Zoran is offline Zoran  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Hi
I want to try WTFplay. Mac mini user. I think that i7 is CPU, high sierra OS.
First I want to ask can I play audio files from the external HD firewire HD out -to-thunderbolt mac mini connection. I think that HD is mac partitioned file system?
external DAC at USB, with Amanero/XMOS interfaces.
Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 06:30 PM   #182
frd__ is offline frd__  Poland
diyAudio Member

Hi Zoran,

Unfortunately FireWire is not supported. If you want to try wtfplay, I think the easiest way is to copy a couple of albums/songs onto a memory stick.

XMOS/Amander work fine.

F
Old 10th February 2019, 09:36 PM   #183
JoseM is offline JoseM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default planning dedicated wtfplay machine

Hi everyone.

I have been enjoying wtfplay tremendously, so much so I would now like to explore ideas for building a dedicated wtfplay machine.

I'd only be looking at a motherboard, the processor, and a power supply. I would be hooking it up via a wireless keyboard, and a VGA monitor as I do now and which works very well for me. I have a minidsp dac/amp/dsp based LXmini hooked up at the other end of this and its just sonic bliss.

I was hoping to ask this board for any thoughts of your thoughts or recommendations on this. My first build for a computer. Would very much appreciate any input.

Jay
Old 11th February 2019, 05:07 PM   #184
Zoran is offline Zoran  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd__ View Post
Hi Zoran,

Unfortunately FireWire is not supported. If you want to try wtfplay, I think the easiest way is to copy a couple of albums/songs onto a memory stick.

XMOS/Amander work fine.

F
Can I use this port tiny for photo memory stick (SD card?) at the back of mac mini?
OS for wf player could be at the usb stick.
PS
I am freak out about "upgrading" on newer OSX high sierra. Same everything else, sound different. Less body, too much highs, to much noisy, too sharp, no good mids, less down low end etc... Pissed off really.
Thinking to downgrae back deep into older OSX.
Probably Lion because ypu said that from that point different file system HD used?
Old 12th February 2019, 03:06 PM   #185
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
Can I use this port tiny for photo memory stick (SD card?) at the back of mac mini?
OS for wf player could be at the usb stick.
I do not have any Mac so I cannot tell for sure, but the SD card slot should work fine. Just insert any FAT32 formatted SD card there while wtfplay-live is running and it should be automatically mounted in /media directory. Then you can play audio files stored on that SD card.

If the card is not mounted automatically, then you can see if it's detected with the following command:

Code:
ls /dev/mmc*
This should list files such as /dev/mmc0p1, etc...

If you are thinking about booting from SD card, then I do not know whether it is possible. This depends on your hardware/BIOS. Some BIOS'es allow booting from the SD card.

One more thing about SD cards. Some large capacity SD cards come pre-formatted with exFAT filesystem. This filesystem is not supported by wtfplay-live.

F

Last edited by frd__; 12th February 2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 17th February 2019, 11:22 AM   #186
ceausuc is offline ceausuc  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd__ View Post
Hi there,

It has been a while since the last release, but here it is. After a long break wtfplay-live 0.7 is available for download.

Enjoy!
Hello Fred, I thought this fantastic project was dead, I must say I'm glad you are back. I can't wait to try this new version!
Old 17th February 2019, 12:24 PM   #187
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseM View Post
Hi everyone.

I have been enjoying wtfplay tremendously, so much so I would now like to explore ideas for building a dedicated wtfplay machine.

I'd only be looking at a motherboard, the processor, and a power supply. I would be hooking it up via a wireless keyboard, and a VGA monitor as I do now and which works very well for me. I have a minidsp dac/amp/dsp based LXmini hooked up at the other end of this and its just sonic bliss.

I was hoping to ask this board for any thoughts of your thoughts or recommendations on this. My first build for a computer. Would very much appreciate any input.

Jay
wtfplay uses very little CPU, probably it doesn't do any processing. Any recent I3 will be enough for your pc (even mobile procs like 8130U).
On the other hand why build a pc? Intel NUC's (for instance) are nice and silent little pc's.
Old 18th February 2019, 11:43 AM   #188
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceausuc View Post
Hello Fred, I thought this fantastic project was dead, I must say I'm glad you are back. I can't wait to try this new version!
OK, I tried the new version with some of my test tracks and for the first time I heard a lady talking in the background of one of these tracks.... thanks for this great little piece of software!
Old 18th February 2019, 03:28 PM   #189
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear that.

The project is definitely not dead. I had to park for a time being. I had not even realized when a year had passed.

wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback systemHide this!Advertise here!