Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system
wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2017, 04:53 PM   #111
thimios is offline thimios  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd__ View Post
I am happy to announce that wtfplay-live 0.5.1 has been released. No new
features this time, but the number of ISOs is growing: Intel Core i3/5/7
with AVX image and AMD optimised images are available.

You can download the images from wtfplay-project.org
The detailed release notes can be found at: wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html

Enjoy!
Boot is successful but my sound blaster don't found(no sound devices detected)

Last edited by thimios; 6th January 2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 6th January 2017, 10:55 PM   #112
frd__ is offline frd__  Poland
diyAudio Member

Hi thimios,

wtfplay-live is primarily targeted for USB DACs users and has a limited support for PCI based sound cards. The full list of supported audio hardware can be found here:

wtfplay-project.org

What exactly is your SB card?
Old 6th January 2017, 11:02 PM   #113
SAC is offline SAC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewy1 View Post
hi SAC
did you Change the boot order in the bios, to boot from usb-key?
Hi, yes, I made USB key number one, but it brought me to a screen I could do nothing with, other than type "exit" to get out.

EDIT; I did get it working on an old laptop this evening, though that is no good to me long term.

Last edited by SAC; 6th January 2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 7th January 2017, 07:25 AM   #114
thimios is offline thimios  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi thimios,

wtfplay-live is primarily targeted for USB DACs users and has a limited support for PCI based sound cards. The full list of supported audio hardware can be found here:

wtfplay-project.org

What exactly is your SB card?
Yes i see.
My sound card is a sound blaster live 1024 24bit./96Khz
Old 17th January 2017, 09:24 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

Default wtfplay-live 0.6 is now available

Hi,

I am pleased to announce that wtfplay-live 0.6 is ready for download.

This release includes playback navigation and a few other changes. The details can be found in the release notes at: wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html

The link to the download directory can be found here.

Enjoy!
Old 17th January 2017, 01:06 PM   #116
Chanh is offline Chanh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,

I am pleased to announce that wtfplay-live 0.6 is ready for download.

This release includes playback navigation and a few other changes. The details can be found in the release notes at: wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html

The link to the download directory can be found here.

Enjoy!
Thank You so much.

I have finally giving this a trial, listenning as I am typing this. Was previously putting off for the unfriendly user's interface, but I now can appreciate very much the minimal interface trade off for best SQ!

This player sounds amazing! I have heard/experienced, from Lots of player(s), including JRiver, JPlay6.2, Volumiox86, Dalphile, APL, Bughead, MPD, and squeezelite.

If this player can have better users' interface via iPad's app or web-control interface like Volumio, is simply the icing on the cake!
Old 18th January 2017, 04:11 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Hi frd___,

Here to report that wtfplayer and wtfplayer-dsd, played well on my Accuphase DC-950. All PCM, flac, waves, and DSD to DSD128, were playing fine. However, DSD256 and higher were not playable. Possibly - the DC-950 driver issue for Linux? Windows via ASIO driver through JPlay6.2 and Jriver were playing fine with DSD256.

Again - thank you for your great works..

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4289.jpg (413.1 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4285.jpg (694.0 KB, 168 views)
Old 18th January 2017, 09:54 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Hi Chanh,

Linux uses a single generic driver for all USB audio devices that are compliant with UAC1/UAC2 standards. In theory all USB audio devices should follow those standards. In practice this is not always the case. Whether the standards leave room for ambiguity or device manufactures decide not to follow them it is not really important here. In reality, many USB devices require specific interactions with the driver that go beyond UAC1/UAC2 standard.

The problematic part in those standards is DSD, or rather lack of it. The standards do not define a way of transporting DSD data from/to the audio device natively. That leaves the open door for device manufacturers. They can do whatever they want on DSD ground and implement the DSD transport how they want. This is normally not a problem for them, as with the device they need to provide the driver for the popular operating system. Well, for many years that operating system did not even have a generic UAC2 driver.

I order to stream DSD data natively to the USB device, the generic Linux driver needs to know how to do it. Unfortunately, the USB device cannot provide that information to the driver. This information needs to be built-in into the driver. Sometimes the device manufacturers are kind enough to share this information with Linux kernel developers. More often, the developers need to simply try various things and decipher how to stream DSD natively to the particular USB device. Sometimes, the USB device needs a special, proprietary low level USB interaction to be switched into native DSD mode.

Regardless which case it is, this is the reason why Linux kernel does not support many USB devices in native DSD mode. Your DC950 is no exception here.

I should also mention that native DSD streaming is not a subject of interest for most Linux kernel developers. Those interested very often do not have access the hardware and it is very hard to to this kind of things remotely.

However I hope that the situation will improve in time. I mean, more DSD devices will be supported in the mainline kernel, and a standard way of native DSD streaming will emerge.

F

PS. The text above may have holes or some parts of it may be oversimplified. I just wanted to show the current situation at the high level, without going into technical details.
Old 18th January 2017, 08:19 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Chanh,

Linux uses a single generic driver for all USB audio devices that are compliant with UAC1/UAC2 standards.....
Hi frd__,
Much appreciated the explanations, and you are deadly correct, that Accuphase is provided a USB2 driver for Windows base platform.

Cheers.
Old 19th January 2017, 12:04 AM   #120
stchan is offline stchan
diyAudio Member

Is there any way to display track names in Korea, Chinese, JP properly ? Think they are double byte characters.

wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback systemHide this!Advertise here!