USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) vs Moode, Volumio etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are two different animals.. so it's tough to compare. UAPP is an android App, and Moode, Volumo, and Rune etc are Linux based MPD distros.. To compare the sound quality, everything else would have to be equal, including using the same DAC on both setups..
It might be interesting to compare UAPP running on a small Android settop box though..

I've got Moode on my Rpi (USB out) and UAPP on my Samsung tablet running both to a USB DAC (using a ifi dsd micro as DAC only).
Basic setup and a hassle changing cables so not easy to evaluate the two but I was surprised just how good UAPP is.

Edit: Free trial of UAPP at http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/uapp-trial if anyone's interested.

They are two different animals.. so it's tough to compare. UAPP is an android App, and Moode, Volumo, and Rune etc are Linux based MPD distros.. To compare the sound quality, everything else would have to be equal, including using the same DAC on both setups..
It might be interesting to compare UAPP running on a small Android settop box though..

Last edited:
i was using uapp for quite some time running via huawei mate 8, it is very good (infact top notch if you keep only the uapp app running, else might get some crackling sound).

1 month ago, i bought a rpi 3 model b, and quickly installed volumio on it. to my experience first listen found out it is less transparent and vocal sounded not so smooth, sound stage smaller comparing to uapp from mate 8. i tried out many setup like changing a better card reader for music source, change diff power supply all result the same.

i dont see any good reason to use volumio on rpi, perhaps is the cheap hardware and the processor isnt fast enuf to handle bit stream well, who knows?

mate 8 sound quality is same as my laptop running from windows 10 with foobar.

my dac is audio gd r2r11.

feel free to comment and tell me why? it was consistent result where i have switch between them more than 50 times over few weeks to compare.

If your hardware is supported then UAPP 'just works'. No arcane configs to mess with...;)
It copes with DSD much better than most of the Pi players.

Neutron Music Player is another for android that bypasses the android usb limitations.
Easily set up and can render to Pi players.
I have used it to play to MoOde on RPI2

If your hardware is not supported then the Pi players community will be more use in making it work.

Horses for courses.

and then there are some excellent x86 players bubbling away under the radar.....

Snakeoil OS
Which, despite the odd moniker and limited hardware support, is very well appointed.

and if you really want a challenge then there is always wtfplay-project.org

Last edited:
If your hardware is supported then UAPP 'just works'. No arcane configs to mess with...;)
It copes with DSD much better than most of the Pi players.

Neutron Music Player is another for android that bypasses the android usb limitations.
Easily set up and can render to Pi players.
I have used it to play to MoOde on RPI2

If your hardware is not supported then the Pi players community will be more use in making it work.

Horses for courses.

and then there are some excellent x86 players bubbling away under the radar.....

Snakeoil OS
Which, despite the odd moniker and limited hardware support, is very well appointed.

and if you really want a challenge then there is always wtfplay-project.org

what is the reason making pi player sounded bad compared to uapp? is it the cpu issue of rpi?

the wtf player make me wanna say wtf? command linr player haha

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.