moode vs volumio vs runeaudio

rpi !
This is an excellent point!

I try this also, if I can connect to network share and can control with touch display, but the point is, for me, I do not need the music library at all. I always browse in the directory structure. Never to style, etc. The fact that these are collecting different information from all files and rendering all my music and can sort by different aspects, so it is a big waste of resources for me.

I check this now what you suggested.

... but, I have another question now. Can I switch off this functionality somehow? I do not need sorting by artist, genre, album ... etc.

Thanks,
JG

Had to give up all the mpd distros (volumio, moode, rune).
It took forever to scan (never completed). (about 140000 songs)

Settled for picoreplayer. Never looked back. New scan - 30 minutes, rescan 5 minutes.
Only mpd based distro I could live with was archphile.

Using rpi2b and 3b

I am currently running Volumio and prefer it over PCP as I could never get DSD working properly on PCP. It was plug & play on Volumio. Setting up the drive across the network was tough because of lacking documentation however. I did experience a crash that required me to re-flash the SD and re-install. I am having issues again with a Chromium pop-up on the touchscreen display that I cannot clear. Thinking of trying Rune next.

I used all of them. Picoreplayer, volumio, moode, rune, archphile.
Picoreplayer is hard to configure for first time user. But its reliable and intelligently build package.

Volumio is some kind of fork from runeaudio days. Volumio always sounds like there is a eq somewhere in chain.

Moode is trying to do all things in one package. And it do it well. Tim is doing great work. Sounds wonderful and easy to configure.

Archphile is so far best sounding distro I've ever heard.
Hard to configure. No gui. Set and forget type distro and can be used with mpd controllers. Also you can add basic gui via console for web access.

I'm curious what others might recommend for a Pi zero. My goal is something that is just a hi-res audio player for local files. I've tried Volumio. It's OK. I'm not sure a web interface is required or appreciated, especially since I can easily connect to nearby TV. Volumio wouldn't use my album art, which I didn't like. Just want a super simple media player that handles aiff, has genres, (maybe) has volume control option, and (maybe) a remote control option.