moode vs volumio vs runeaudio

I found the webbrowser interfaces to all be pretty mediocre, so while I tried volumio, rune, and moode, I thought they were all unnacceptable to live with from an interface standpoint. Especially with a large library.
That is a very good point : with large libraries you spend your time waiting to for the screen to ne updated; I had a much better user experience with the MPad app on IPad which preloaded the library.
Unfortunately the App is no more maintained :)-(

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So.. it seems that there is an overall concensus around LMS+pCP.

I must admit that it was not my initial intention (initiallyconsidered MPD), but I will give it a try !

Thanks a lot for your advices !
JMF

Hi JMF,

I think we are in a fortunate situation where there are lots of really good choices. I think its more a matter of finding the one that suits you. :)

regards
Greg

So, first attempt to pCP. It is very easy to install. All the guidelines are step by step with pictures: you just have to follow. Really a good job to make it easy to install both the player and the LMS server. Thanks a lot !

I still have an issue with my USB DAC. I have configured in Queezelite => USB audio. It seems I can't stream to it. It looks "populated" during the USB sequence. The LMS and Sueezelite are Green.

Music is played on the HDMI, but nothing seems streamed to my USB DAC. It is a Stm32 board programmed by myself that appears in Linux and Windows as a USB device. It was working previously with MPD.

Did I missed a configuration step ? Any troubleshooting advice ?
Edit: solved ! I just had to set the "output setting" of Squeezelite. I had missed that as it was not just aside the USB DAC setting. My fault

Additional question: with my previous config, I had to set a command for the USB HDD to go to standby mode when not used: sudo hdparm -B127 /dev/sda

Is it possible to do something equivalent on the pCP ?

Best regards,

JMF

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi JMF,

I am not sure of Paul's intentions but I would imagine using dropbox was only for testing purposes. Depending on user feedback, it would probably be added to the pCP repository. Generally, we don't add to the initial pCP image but simplify the download of appropriate software via the web interface, but only if the user requires it.

BTW: I am not sure if Paul is following this thread.

regards
Greg

Hi & Seasonal greetings to all,

Will PiCorePlayer or Moode run on a PC?

At present I'm running Volumio on a little NUC pc (Celeron, 8Gb ram, 120GB ssd), and just wondered if I could install any of these other players on it to try them out.
If not what would you recommend I get please?

FYI - My NUC connects to a synology NAS running Minim server and also plays via usb into a ps audio DSj DAC.

Thanks in advance
Roy.

At present I'm running Volumio on a little NUC pc (Celeron, 8Gb ram, 120GB ssd), and just wondered if I could install any of these other players on it to try them out.

FYI - My NUC connects to a synology NAS running Minim server and also plays via usb into a ps audio DSj DAC.

Thanks in advance

Roy.
Have you checked their website to find out? Besides, why would you want to use a NUC as a DAC when there are lots of low cost, high performance options out there for under $150?

Thanks in advance
Roy.

others to try would include Daphile and Snakeoil-OS.. both run on PC's
Daphile – Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles
Snakeoil OS

Thanks for the quick responses guys,

Duh. Disregard my last. I see you're using an PS Audio DAC.

No worries Bill, - maybe I should have been more clear and checked the web sites first.

So now having checked the web sites I think my only choice would be the Snakeoil OS. I was running Daphile for a couple of years previously and found it to be a very solid and reliable system, but when I ran Volumio on the NUC I thought it sounded so much better than Daphile, especially in the treble.

So I guess I need something to replace my NUC if I wish to try the other music players - is that right?

But what would you suggest? - I can also run LMS on my NAS if needs be.

Regards
Roy.

...when I ran Volumio on the NUC I thought it sounded so much better than Daphile, especially in the treble.

So I guess I need something to replace my NUC if I wish to try the other music players - is that right?

But what would you suggest? - I can also run LMS on my NAS if needs be.

Regards
Roy.
I'm not surprised by your observation about audio quality. A NUC is a general purpose device and not designed for audiophile rendering.

I may be laughed off the board for this, but I've found that a Raspberry Pi and a HAT (Hardware Attached on Top, in Pi parlance) DAC from HiFiBerry or Allo to be a killer solution, and you may find it performs equally well, possibly even outperforms, your PS Audio unit.

For software, opinion varies widely. There are a number of distributions that run on the Pi.

I bounce back and forth between MoOde, Volumio, PiCorePlayer and ROON. The first three are 'donationware' and are quite nice. They are seen by LMS as squeezelite endpoints, so you can run LMS on your NAS and even set up a multiroom system.

In the case of PCP, you can even run both LMS and Squeezelite client side-by-side right on the Pi as a single solution. The ROON core (server) is expensive, but the most robust for music exploration and discovery.

So, for under $150, you've hit a home run solution.

Hi BillTheCat,

I ran volumio on my little NUC, and although it may only be a general purpose device it certainly showed the differences between daphile and volumio.

Now Iv'e downloaded the snakeoil to the NUC and it is sounding even better than the volumio! So I'll stick with the snakeoil for a while now and look to get a raspberry pi so I can check out the other players that have been mentioned.

As I have no experiance at all with these raspberry devices. could you advise on which you think would best suit my needs?
Thanks in advance

Roy

Either a Raspberry Pi 2B, or 3B, or 3B+ will be fine. The 3's have onboard wifi and bluetooth if you need those.

I use one of my 3B with wifi/bluetooth disabled and run MoOde audio on it.

On a 2B I am running the Raspberry Pi port of Snakeoil. (This is very new so not as fully featured as the MoOde Audio O/S)

Hello,
I'm using Moode for several years, but for my wife I want to make another player/inetradio. I've started on an RPI 3+ and 7" display, but I go crazy now with different problems. First I 've installed Moode, but it was not comfortable to handle it on the 7" raspberry display (which is crap for that price by the way). Than I've installed Volumio, everything seems to be fine, but when I add the network drive with lot of flacs, the scan collapse after several hours. With the other player (RPI2), it takes almost a day to scan that drive, but it works fine. With the Volumio, it just hangs or jumps out of the scanning process and I can not play from that drive, it does not even appear for browse. It is listed at the setup page. Do you have other player suggestion?
Thanks!!
JG

I'm sorry for hijacking this thread. The player which I'd like to suggest is not in the subject - Peppy player:
Peppy player

It is not as advanced as players which you listed but it can play Internet Radio, local files, CD discs, Podcasts and any other streams. It doesn't have scanning functionality. It just plays files from the disk using file browser. So you need to know the folder structure of your collection:

ex-5.png

There is no disk image for the official 7" display yet. I'm planning to make it for the next release. But the following threads from German forum can help you to install Peppy player for that display as a desktop application:
Peppy Player in GUI/Desktop integrieren (7" Raspberry Pi Touch Display) - Tutorials & Anleitungen - Deutsches Raspberry Pi Forum
as a console application (running without desktop):
Peppy WebRadio - Seite 12 - Musikboxen, Webradios, Musikplayer - Deutsches Raspberry Pi Forum

If you have any questions just let me know.

Good luck!