moode vs volumio vs runeaudio

The point of Volumio and Mo0de is that they are stripped down Linux OSs gear toward providing audio services. Anything not absolutely needed is not installed. Part of the reason is the hardware runs more efficient.

Stripped down ???
Nope.
These don't come with X. And that's about it.

DietPi is stripped down - a little more. Relevant ?? Not at all.

PicorePlayer @ "50MB" is what I'd call stripped down.
Relevant? Yep. If you want to store the entire OS in RAM you
better make sure the footprint is as small as possible.
The problem with TinyCore - the base OS of PcP - is, it is
awful to maintain.

BUT.

If an OS comes with 2Gig or 50MB doesn't really matter.
You won't be able to buy SD-cards below 16Gig anyhow.

What matters is the number and efficiency of processes
running on that machine.

Here again. PcP wins hands down.

Enjoy.

I think in a digital world everything is very deterministic. If software takes number 1011 from file and spits the same to I2S output then who cares does it use in memory OS does it use stripped OS or anything else. Behind I2S hardware comes to the picture - DACs etc.

If there is a way to make a real testing of different systems I could lend a couple of Pi boards. Without such testing everything is very subjective and biased.

Still less than taking a Linux os and putting a music player on it.

I'd support that. Most inexperienced users demand a pretty much
plug'n play solution. Volumio, Moode, Rune, PcP and some others
were paving that road. That allowed many more users to enjoy a
RPI/ARM based audio solution.

Fact is. For many users burning an image to SD-card already feels like: "That's as far as I want (actually: able) to go."

Btw I know about the pi player. The interface is ugly as sin. Sometime less is not more.

Look. That PcP interface is meant to configure the OS and player. You do that once and then you forget about it!

Do you want fancy themes for that !?!? You gotta be kidding. :rolleyes:

The GUI design is one of the most demanding exercises. If you look for nice GUIs checkout respective Android/iOS apps.

And all of you shouldn't forget. Most people involved in preparing these images/packages spent 100s of hours to get things in place and going.
Most of them not even have time to listen to music anymore. ;)

Enjoy.

Last edited:
How can Moode sound better than Volumio? Aren't both using ALSA?

Here we're touching a hot topic. It's been discussed (at least) since I got myself involved in all this.

Just to mention it.

Tim never mentioned a word about soundquality or sound differences to similar OSes.

The people reporting it simply figured it out by experiencing it! ;)

Here's my point of view:

"Bits are bits - it's all digital"

This is the main statement to begin with.

And this is absolutely correct, if we assume bitperfect transmission towards the DAC.

If "bit-perfection" or sometimes it's called "bit-transparency" is given, what else can make a sound difference on such a system!?!?

First of all we need to understand that bit-perfection refers to the "logical" state of bits. A 0 or a 1. And we can assume that a logical bit arrives at its target as intended.

However.

If you drive your car over a fresh paved freeway at 75mph with no wind, rain and other traffic or if you take an offroad track in bad weather conditions,
you'll get your car from A to B. The question is "how" it's done. Are there any side effects?

The computer with its peripherals is a pretty awful physical environment.
Basically an offroad track in the middle of a storm.

There's noise, all kind of it. There's EMI/RFI. There are power fluctuations.
There are different temperature conditions. There are vibrations. There
are reflections. And, and, and...

Many of these factors would influence an audio performance.

Noise, jitter (bit timing) , EMI/RFI, power fluctuations and ground loops are the typical sources for impacting your sound experience. You might want to add temperature and vibrations as factors.

Pretty much all DACs try to fight these factors. Some do with more some with less success. Obviously it's a matter of effort you'd be willing to put into it.

Meanwhile there are many gadgets out there fighting this physical mess - because the vast majority of DACs fail to do so properly.
You'll find USB or I2S isolators, reclockers, ethernet filters, high quality power supplies, shields, high quality USB and Ethernet cables, ground breaker asf asf.

All above factors are different for any audio system out there. Not a single noise floor will look the same. The noise floor is a mix of all kind of frequencies. It's like a fingerprint of a system. But that one can change and changes over time to make things worse.

Now. How can a OS or a OS setup change the fingerprint from a software perspective!?!?

Basically all you need to do is to start getting the rocks out of, leveling and paving your off-road track.

In terms of SW. We just increase the efficiency. There are numerous
ways of doing that. It's a very complex environment.
And everybody can understand that e.g. lower CPU load and/or a more steady CPU load will influence several of above mentioned factors.
If mpd runs at 5% (jumping over different processors and showing unsteady load down to 2%) or running rather steady at 1% CPU load on a single CPU after increasing the efficiency for doing the same job. It'll make a difference to the "fingerprint".

Of course there are numerous other factors in play.

The way to achieve these kind of gains are usually
the sum of several factors. The revisions of SW (solving flaws and/or increasing efficiency of kernel/drivers/apps), even the compilation of SW can make a difference. Its configurations and numerous OS tweaks will also increase efficiency. If you play a track from
a RAM disk or if you continuously stream over network will have an impact
to your systems fingerprint. If you realtime decode a flac stream or if you resample to 384k PCM it'll have an impact.

Many of these factors are widely known and been discussed numerous times. Some show more some less impact on your systems fingerprint.
Many times you need to find a compromise between this or that approach.
E.g. "features vs. performance"

And again. How much impact your "UPSTREAM" fingerprint will have on your DAC depends on your DACs capabilities to fight them.

That means. The worse your DAC the more impact you'll see from different
fingerprints. It also means the worse your DAC the more impact you might
experience from SW modifications - as an indirect way to impact the fingerprint.

The main issue is, that most of us hobbyists doesn't have the tools to prove
above in a scientific way. We base our wisdom on experiences - we often share with many others out there.

The professionals and manufacturers obviously are not interested to discuss these flaws in public. They rather claim femto seconds jitter performance and you then realize that hooking up a different USB cable makes a hell of a difference. :rolleyes:

And then there are rather ignorant software nerds out there who'd stick to the "bits = bits" theory, completely ignoring that there is a physical world out there.

I'm still waiting for a DAC that's immune to all above mentioned factors.
At that point these discussions hopefully will come to an end.
Hmmh. Probably not.
99.999% of all users out there will not be able to afford such a device.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Here we're touching a hot topic. It's been discussed (at least) since I got myself involved in all this.

Now. How can a OS or a OS setup change the fingerprint from a software perspective!?!?

Basically all you need to do is to start getting the rocks out of, leveling and paving your off-road track.

In terms of SW. We just increase the efficiency. There are numerous
ways of doing that. It's a very complex environment.
And everybody can understand that e.g. lower CPU load and/or a more steady CPU load will influence several of above mentioned factors.
If mpd runs at 5% (jumping over different processors and showing unsteady load down to 2%) or running rather steady at 1% CPU load on a single CPU after increasing the efficiency for doing the same job. It'll make a difference to the "fingerprint".

Of course there are numerous other factors in play.

The way to achieve these kind of gains are usually
the sum of several factors. The revisions of SW (solving flaws and/or increasing efficiency of kernel/drivers/apps), even the compilation of SW can make a difference. Its configurations and numerous OS tweaks will also increase efficiency. If you play a track from
a RAM disk or if you continuously stream over network will have an impact
to your systems fingerprint. If you realtime decode a flac stream or if you resample to 384k PCM it'll have an impact.

Ι have been involved with the development of Archphile since the beginning of 2014 and I have done countless tests towards the direction you just mentioned above.

My current transport is:

- Odroid C2 with a DIY Linear Power Supply
- Archphile 0.99.7-alpha

1. Archphile doesn't use any kind of web server (apart from the integrated to ympd mongoose code), databases, php etc. and as a result is very minimal comparing to the other solutions

2. irq interrupts (usb, eth) are configured and sent to different isolated cores

3. MPD runs in its own isolated core

4. the MPD package I currently use is compiled with much less dependencies:

playground/PKGBUILD at master * archphile/playground * GitHub

Why did I just write all of the above? I am not willing to advertise (I really don't care at all), but to do the opposite.

I am 100% sure that if you ask me to find the transport that I have been building for the last 4 years on a blind test with different OSes (even with different boards to be honest), I won't be able to identify it.

During these almost 4 years, I have read stuff online that make no sense. There are Linux Audio users claiming that they hear differences between different kernel profiles (term introduced by Volumio/Runeaudio at a time where they were struggling with the old RPI and before the FIQ USB driver - they made kernel changes to avoid pops/click etc back at that time), between different MPD versions, between different compilation flags etc....

I am sure that there are people out there that can hear a difference between different RPI plastic enclosures.

In my opinion, all we are talking about is HI END SNAKEOIL that destroys computer audio everyday transforming users to the traditional hi end guys that at some day will place a small stone on the RPI to make it sound better.

The computer audio community today is very lucky. There are plenty of different hardware and software solutions to choose. Just use what you feel comfortable with and ensure that you won't spend your time on the configuration of the transport.

Listening to music is way more important than all these sh1t.

Last edited:
Obviously there are quite some people as inmate tuxx out there. I mentioned that in my last post.

Working on "Archphile" and "selling" it for years -- I'm not sure what the "...phile" is actually suggesting after his summary -- just to realize over and over that he can not make any sense out of his doing and then fooling the stupid crowd by keeping his project under that name up'n running... Hmmh. :rolleyes:

But. I expected this feedback. There's more to come.

There were times where asynch USB DACs were the holy grail.
As soon as people started questioning that, after e.g. adding a powered USB HUB between PC and DAC - building without knowing a reclocker, regenerator, repower device - soon similar commercial solutions popped up.