Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

moode vs volumio vs runeaudio
moode vs volumio vs runeaudio
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2016, 05:25 AM   #21
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

I tried moode and volumio and could not get either to connect to my NAS (FreeNAS 9.3 with anonymous access to the shared music folder). I tried everything I (read, a Google search) could come up with and nothing.

I've given both the flick and will now use the Pi2 as a car computer.
Old 28th March 2016, 11:39 AM   #22
Zootalaws is offline Zootalaws  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Tim's new MoodeOS wth rel. 2.6 is going to be a big, big upgrade - some great new features and a much smaller package, based on Jessie Lite.
Old 8th April 2016, 08:03 PM   #23
r100 is offline r100
diyAudio Member

I've use Volumio 1.55 but MoOde has replaced it. Volumio V2 should be interesting but it has been ages since the dev was launched and to date there is no stable release. MoOde's Tim Curtis is very responsive and has built a nice system which just works for me. The new MoOde OS should be very interesting. Am looking forward to it.
Old 10th April 2016, 12:15 AM   #24
Zootalaws is offline Zootalaws  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromperie View Post
I tried moode and volumio and could not get either to connect to my NAS (FreeNAS 9.3 with anonymous access to the shared music folder). I tried everything I (read, a Google search) could come up with and nothing.

I've given both the flick and will now use the Pi2 as a car computer.
I have used Moode with my freenas since I first started playing with music players - it works just great.

If you can't get it to connect, check the log on FreeNAS - it's fairly informative about what the error was.

Or, post your shared folder configuration (FreeNAS end) and I'm sure I can work out the config for you.
Old 8th May 2016, 02:37 PM   #25
Origin8 is offline Origin8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I want to share my exeprience as I used the 3 software Volumio, Runeaudio and Moode Audio.

I started using Volumio, I switched to Runeaudio because in my opinion it is the best user interface comparing Volumio and Moode, then I tried Moode audio and find a significant audio quality improvement (I don't know why, maybe because of ALSA?) so I left Runeaudio to go Moode Audio.

Cheers,
Old 11th May 2016, 03:37 PM   #26
AlistairH is offline AlistairH  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I've had my RPi/PiDAC combo streaming music for over 18 months and never felt the need to use Moode, Rune or Volumio. Just install MPD on top of whatever OS distro you have installed on your Pi, configure the MPD conf file and away you go.

There's plenty of MPD clients out there for Windows/Linux/Android et al. Personally I use MPDroid on my Android devices and Ario on my Linux PCs.
Old 11th May 2016, 04:50 PM   #27
rpi is offline rpi  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlistairH View Post
I've had my RPi/PiDAC combo streaming music for over 18 months and never felt the need to use Moode, Rune or Volumio. Just install MPD on top of whatever OS distro you have installed on your Pi, configure the MPD conf file and away you go.

There's plenty of MPD clients out there for Windows/Linux/Android et al. Personally I use MPDroid on my Android devices and Ario on my Linux PCs.
This is like buying new furniture. You can buy it either assembled or disassembled. Some people prefer assembled the other disassembled. But you are right functionality/sound quality wise I don't think that assembled system is better if you know what and where should be tuned for better sound. You can consider those systems just as a web UI on top of mpd assembled into Linux image.

Last edited by rpi; 11th May 2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 05:12 PM   #28
bambadoo is offline bambadoo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Have been going back and forth a billion times between different rpi distros.
Running an i2s dac direct from it.
My verdict is as follows.
Archphile for sound quality
Picoreplayer (LMS) for functionality

Rune, Volume and Moode did not do the trick for me.
Old 11th May 2016, 05:23 PM   #29
Odal3 is offline Odal3  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambadoo View Post
Have been going back and forth a billion times between different rpi distros.
Running an i2s dac direct from it.
My verdict is as follows.
Archphile for sound quality
Picoreplayer (LMS) for functionality

Rune, Volume and Moode did not do the trick for me.
I'm curious in hearing more about your comparisons and why you find archphile better.
Old 27th December 2016, 08:21 PM   #30
RafaPolit is offline RafaPolit  Ecuador
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootalaws View Post
Interesting that not one post mentioned the quality of the sound...

For me, moOde wins hands-down over Volumio and Rune...
I have to agree on both accounts: my intention when using something like Moode or Volumio is first and foremost to have great audio.

While looking at comparisons I was expecting from the subjective "This sounded better" to the very technical: "This is better because the re sampling algorithm is this an that". I was surprised that all comparisons discuss User Inteface and many other (for me) secondary differences.

So, I did an a-c, b-c comparison (not being able to do a side by side as I have only one raspberry). So I set up Spotify premium at extreme settings and changed inputs from Spotify to the Raspeberry first with Volumio, then to Moode both with hi res 24/96 samples of the same song.

The difference, in my opinion, was significant! For me, Volumio sounded a little worse than Spotify. This was surprising as the file was a (supposedly) much better source, yet, still, it sounded worse. Moode, on the other hand, presented the 'edge' I was looking for when going for this setup vs only streamed music. Sound was more spacious and the dynamic ranges of the higher frequencies were cleaner.

So, as of today (Dec 2016), Moode is, for me and from an audio quality perspective, the better option.

Hope this helps others,
Best regards,
Rafa.

moode vs volumio vs runeaudioHide this!Advertise here!