Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

moode vs volumio vs runeaudio
moode vs volumio vs runeaudio
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2015, 09:37 AM   #11
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I tried Runeaudio as a upnp renderer and found it flaky. At some point the Pi became unresponsive to Bubbleupnp. So I reached for the power switch....

I have not tried Volumio recently, nor Moode. Maybe I should...
Old 18th November 2015, 04:52 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I just tried Volumio again. It's a bust for me. had a spinning "connecting" screen.... forever.... Whenever I tried to get it to do anything. So it's a NO from me.

I tried Moode on a whim and .... Yup, that UI is different. Seems to work fine.... Dedicated to the Pi and easy to use. Haven't tried upnp on it yet but it's looking promising. I see what is meant by wanting options to play or add an entire album though.

I may be on Moode for a while.

J.
Old 18th November 2015, 08:57 PM   #13
vandekennedylaan is offline vandekennedylaan
diyAudio Member

Default Archphile better solution?

I've got a Hummingboard. Tried Squeeze On Arch (not maintained anymore), Volumio (stopped for unknown reason, had to reinstall). Runeaudio announced a build for the Hummingboard ages ago, but no release till now.

Than I tried Archphile. Had to do some modifications, because of the spdif output instead of usb, but works great now. With the mpod app a superb combination. A 2GB sd-card is all I need.
Old 19th November 2015, 06:49 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Still on Moode. it seems stable on the Pi B with upnp. I can use Bubbleupnp on my phone to control things. Which - to me - has a better interface than the web UIs.

J.
Old 19th November 2015, 09:43 PM   #15
phile1 is offline phile1  France
diyAudio Member

hi, I'm looking for upnp renderer. (sorry for the basic questions i'm newbie) I though about a Rpi, thus with Rune as you mention it is ok. Rpi and use its i2s output to feed a digital amp (qls hifi QA100) on its i2s input. On paper it looks ok to me, tiny, low voltage, easy to power with clean DC, i2S is better than toslink or rca or usb. But in reality, it sounds really good or poor ? A lot of guys use NUCs to stream music. Is NUC better than Rpi ? As a newbie, I would think that the more tiny hardware is better because less noisy. Am I correct ? thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 10:56 PM   #16
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Can any of the three players mentioned output their audio to an arbitrary ALSA device. Specifically can they direct the audio to an ALSA loopback? I would really like a player that can do that so that I can integrate it into my DIY wireless streaming audio system.

If not one of these, is there any player out there that can run on a headless server with a remote controlled interface (over WiFi) and output its audio to an ALSA loopback device?
Old 20th November 2015, 04:33 PM   #17
Odal3 is offline Odal3  United States
diyAudio Member

Volumio and moode are based on raspian and you should be able to tweak the config files manually to do that. Probably also rune which is based on arch but I have no epxerience.

The players are based on mpd so you can also pipe out the sound directly to ecasound or whatever applicable program. See here for options (not all are included in the compiled version)
Output plugins

The webbased user interface is limited to what options can be picked but it has built in logic to identify the default alsa card and device or you can tweak it manually with what you find from aplay -L

There are also other "players" included for airport play streams. These can also be tweaked to pipe out the sound to stdout.
Old 20th November 2015, 04:35 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
Can any of the three players mentioned output their audio to an arbitrary ALSA device. Specifically can they direct the audio to an ALSA loopback? I would really like a player that can do that so that I can integrate it into my DIY wireless streaming audio system.

If not one of these, is there any player out there that can run on a headless server with a remote controlled interface (over WiFi) and output its audio to an ALSA loopback device?
AIUI they all probably can.... Just had a quick flick through the Rune forums. If it's defined properly in ALSA, it can probably be selected as the output device.

J.
Old 20th March 2016, 11:06 PM   #19
Zootalaws is offline Zootalaws  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Interesting that not one post mentioned the quality of the sound...

For me, moOde wins hands-down over Volumio and Rune. I have 6 units - 1 Pi1 with an Aliexpress i2s DAC clone, 4 Pi2B and a Pi3B with HifiBerry Amp, HifiBerry DAC, IQ Audio AMP an IQ Audio DAC and about 20 SD cards with various music players loaded. I really wanted to try them all, in all combinations, to find the best player and invariably I come back to moOde. It's just better sounding.

It may take a while to boot up, but then, I only reboot when loading a new release - it sits on my stereo shelf happily serving music, quietly, reliably, with a great UI. It reads reliably from SD, USB Flash, NFS and CIFS (from a central NAS) and I can't remember the last time I had to reboot it because of a problem - maybe never. I'm running R25.

IIRC the new release will be based on Jessie Lite (Debian/Raspbian minimalist)

Last edited by Zootalaws; 20th March 2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 26th March 2016, 12:08 AM   #20
mpvader is offline mpvader  United States
diyAudio Member

I've tried them all.. I've chosen moode for my setup. I'm setting up a "diy sonos" type system. putting a rpi2 / 3 in each room of the house running moode.. 2.5 was a better release than 2.4 i feel, but i prefer the underlying OS more so than the gui.. i'll be doing most of my controlling via tablet, phone or other means. all though the configuration of moode worked better out of the box than the others did.. at the end of the day, i just wanted one that worked and moode 2.5 fit that bill for me with my preferred flavor of *nix

moode vs volumio vs runeaudioHide this!Advertise here!