Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

moode vs volumio vs runeaudio
moode vs volumio vs runeaudio
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2018, 05:16 AM   #111
Zootalaws is offline Zootalaws  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTheCat View Post
So, leaving aside the bickering between parties here, is there a consensus for those of us looking for a simple answer to which has the better sonic performance: moode vs volumio2?

Or, am I just asking in the wrong place?
No idea, my ears are shot.

From a interface perspective I have used many and find them similar, but Moode is more logical, to me.

Rune seems to be behind the curve developmentallly and Volumio seems to be kludge on kludge, looking more for features than SQ.

What you could do is to try them all. For the sake of a few hours burning SD and configuring you could make up your own mind, and not be swayed by someone elseís opinion.

I know thatís a novel idea, these days, but give it a crack. This is DIY audio, after all...
Old 6th February 2018, 05:21 AM   #112
Zootalaws is offline Zootalaws  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverdonkey View Post
Hi

I have been using moode and really liked it, but am now put off by the new protracted install process . I managed it, but even then GUI is buggy - all in all it seems a step-back from previous versions!

I started to look at PCP but am a bit confused about what it is/does. Can it work like moode, i.e. find its content on a NAS and be controlled from a browser (e.g. on phone or laptop)?

Thanks
every app is buggy. The amount of time between the release of v.4.0 and the very minor bug fixes of v.4.1 is tiny, in development terms.

Certainly the Ďbuggyí UI only affects a very few people out of the thousands that have installed it.

If itís all too much for you, why arenít you just running Volumio?
Old 6th February 2018, 06:40 AM   #113
fb2017 is offline fb2017
diyAudio Member

Volumio has support for BruteFIR, but no matter what I do, I can't get it to sound better than without it. Moode offers a simple EQ, which is more than adequate to raise the bass of my fullrange Dallas II speakers, shall I feel like it.
For my IQAudIODAC, Volumio lacks the realtime special Linux kernel allowing the board the full 384kHz. No, I can't hear ANY difference between that and the 192 kHz playback (and I call BS on ANYONE claiming they do), but it still buggers me I can't use its full capabilities.
Moode Audio used to have the option to install the special kernel allowing full 384kHz high rate playback, and it was fun experimenting with it for a while. On the other hand, the same Moode Audio has become such a mess it's difficult to justify the lost time. I prefer to listen to music instead of waiting for endless compiles, etc.
Old 6th February 2018, 07:33 AM   #114
Yatsushiro is offline Yatsushiro  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Well, wadderyer know... thought I'd throw myself in at the deep end, faffed my way through the settings now I have PCP playing my FLAC files off my NAS! I'm rather pleased with my evening's work, it's just a shame it's too late to have a proper blast! Thanks all again for your encouragement.

Of course, now I'm officially a noob I have more questions...

1 - From a Windows 10 machine, is the best way to control LMS from my browser (i.e. using [IP]:9000) or is there a slicker/better way?

2 - What's a good method from an Android phone?

3 - l thought my Audiophonics I Sabre ES9023 TCXO I2S DAC would throw it but, no, the "I-Sabre-ES9023 DAC" option seems to work. Is this the best, or might there be a better choice?

4 - No idea what CIFS/NFS in NAS mount option, but CIFS seems to work for my NSA325. Okay to leave it on this?
Fortune favours the brave... Sometimes the only way is to jump right in!

You can use a browser from your PC or phone. However, in the MS Store you'll find a neat little app called Squeezelite-X (see [Announce] Squeezelite-X)

There are numerous android apps, both free (Squeezer) and paid (Squeeze Ctrl, Orange Squeeze)

If your DAC choice and Network choice works, I'd leave it for now and enjoy the music. Having said that, it is easy within PCP to make changes and try various settings (head over to Squeezebox : Community : Forums, where most questions have been asked before)

Similarly, if your Pi is currently performing well running both PCP and LMS, there is no reason to change, but when did that ever stop us seeking something extra. Not sure I'd use a Zero to run LMS, but I do run several as players.

Last edited by Yatsushiro; 6th February 2018 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Missing bracket closures...
Old 6th February 2018, 10:26 AM   #115
fb2017 is offline fb2017
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From a Windows 10 machine, is the best way to control LMS from my browser (i.e. using [IP]:9000) or is there a slicker/better way? What's a good method from an Android phone?
I am using squeezeremote for Android. I think it cost about 1 EUR but well worth it. Or you could use the Android mobile browser, to control the web interface.
Old 6th February 2018, 10:42 AM   #116
hoverdonkey is offline hoverdonkey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootalaws View Post

If itís all too much for you, why arenít you just running Volumio?
Aah, how lovely to hear from you again Zootalaws, Embracer of Noobs!
Old 6th February 2018, 10:52 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatsushiro View Post
Fortune favours the brave... Sometimes the only way is to jump right in!

You can use a browser from your PC or phone. However, in the MS Store you'll find a neat little app called Squeezelite-X (see [Announce] Squeezelite-X)

There are numerous android apps, both free (Squeezer) and paid (Squeeze Ctrl, Orange Squeeze)

If your DAC choice and Network choice works, I'd leave it for now and enjoy the music. Having said that, it is easy within PCP to make changes and try various settings (head over to Squeezebox : Community : Forums, where most questions have been asked before)

Similarly, if your Pi is currently performing well running both PCP and LMS, there is no reason to change, but when did that ever stop us seeking something extra. Not sure I'd use a Zero to run LMS, but I do run several as players.
Thank you, Yatsushiro. It's good to be on board and thank you for your tips and wisdom. Most excellent advice to listen awhile... and then go a'tweaking. I will give up Kodi which will release a Pi 3 for LMS duties.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:09 AM   #118
BillTheCat is offline BillTheCat
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thank you, Yatsushiro. It's good to be on board and thank you for your tips and wisdom. Most excellent advice to listen awhile... and then go a'tweaking. I will give up Kodi which will release a Pi 3 for LMS duties.
Have a look at Max2play to see if it's something you might be interested in exploring. It's pretty easy to configure. Think of it as a scripting interface that configures the Pi for different use cases. Once the max2play software is installed, all configuration from the player to LMS to equalizers and other plug-ins are installed via the browser. It's kinda like WordPress for music!
Old 10th February 2018, 02:56 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTheCat View Post
Have a look at Max2play to see if it's something you might be interested in exploring.
Thanks BilltheCat, I will give max2play a whirl in due course.

I had the bliss of the house to myself to this morning and was able to get a bit of listening done and so I am finally able to offer back something of an opinion relevant to the title of this thread...

First, I compared PCP Squeezelite + LMS, in both one and two-box setups. The two box setup was perhaps better SQ, not massively, indeed I feel I need to test it again on another day to be sure. Then I popped the Moode back in. It was clearly better than two-box PCP. Full chain of kit listed below.

In other words... darnit! I much prefer GUIs & stability of Squeezelite and LMS and, having tasted them, I don't want to go back! I live in hope and will do a bit more looking into tweaks to see I can improve SQ at all (starting with Squeezebox : Community : Forums, as per Yatsushiro's suggestion). As I said, I will try max2play too. Is it known for having better SQ than PCP?

The chain...

Zyxel NSA325 NAS (mostly FLAC CD rips) > Pi 2 (with Audiophonics Linear Power Supply DC LT1083) > Audiophonics I-Sabre V2.1 i2s DAC ES9023 TCXO > Class D Audio CDA-250L power amplifier kit > Quad 11L2 bookshelf speakers
Pi 3 for standalone LMS setup.

Pi2 running;
Audio optimized version of pCP3.22 (I am using wired homeplug network)
or
Moode 3.8.4 (the last image I have before the install process went convoluted (and GUI went glitchy)).

Last edited by hoverdonkey; 10th February 2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to put me speakers in the chain
Old 12th February 2018, 02:15 AM   #120
BillTheCat is offline BillTheCat
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks BilltheCat, I will give max2play a whirl in due course...
Interesting, since others in this thread find PCP to have the better sound quality. I guess I'll have to try it myself, too. I'm running moOde v4 right now and will test in rotation with Volumio, M2P, and PCP and see what happens.

Have you tried any oversampling settings, and if so, what did you pick?

moode vs volumio vs runeaudioHide this!Advertise here!