Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

moode vs volumio vs runeaudio
moode vs volumio vs runeaudio
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2018, 08:05 AM   #101
Yatsushiro is offline Yatsushiro  France
diyAudio Member

What he said ^
Old 5th February 2018, 09:10 AM   #102
MSHAVS is offline MSHAVS  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
When it comes to soundquality. You'll find in the Moode thread numerous
people claiming to experience a better soundquality, then e.g. Volumio.
I'd sign that at least for the older releases. Most of them havn't tried pCP though.
As a single purpose audio engine my first choice would be piCoreplayer ( - for now at least). No. Neither Volumio, nor Moode, nor Rune, nor DietPi would be on the list for that purpose.

* I do prefer a single purpose audio engine. (with separate server)
* I do prefer the LMS environment over MPD.
* pCP comes with quite some audio optimizations and audio kernels nobody else is offering right now.
* their SW and compiler are pretty much up2date (You can't always say that about Raspbian based systems, such as Moode/Volumio/DietPi)
* and it offers some nice tweak options
* All that builds a very promising base for a great audio engine and
* great sound
Enjoy.
I agree a lot with what Soundcheck wrote.

I've tried them all myself in the last couple of years. Don't hear much difference (maybe my ears are not so good anymore after 54+ years) between MPD-based or LMS-based players.
I went the LMS path since I was already using a Squeezebox Touch and Receiver (and still do), so the choice of pCP was best for me. Biggest avantage for me is that pCP runs squeezelite quite well on an old RPi-1B, which I still use, AND you can switch off power without damaging the filesystem.

As a server I use Daphile on a separate NUC-like PC. I like Daphile's look-and-feel very much and is maintained very regularly for both linux and LMS. The fact that Daphile is sort of closed-source makes it very robust TMO.

Whatever version you choose for your RPi, it's always a work-in-progress. And it's free of charge so you should expect that sometimes things are not working as expected (I've experienced that a lot during my "journey" of testing all kinds of versions). Without some knowledge of Linux (my own knowledge comes from several Unix-OSs) it's sometimes quite a challenge in getting the right settings for mounting -external- disks and getting sound out of your USB-DAC. If you lack this kind of basic knowledge perhaps a commercial solution would be better (e.g. Roon or Sonos or the likes).
Old 5th February 2018, 01:07 PM   #103
BillTheCat is offline BillTheCat
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...As a single purpose audio engine my first choice would be piCoreplayer ( - for now at least). No. Neither Volumio, nor Moode, nor Rune, nor DietPi would be on the list for that purpose.

* I do prefer a single purpose audio engine. (with separate server)
* I do prefer the LMS environment over MPD.
* pCP comes with quite some audio optimizations and audio kernels nobody else is offering right now.
* their SW and compiler are pretty much up2date (You can't always say that about Raspbian based systems, such as Moode/Volumio/DietPi)
* and it offers some nice tweak options
* All that builds a very promising base for a great audio engine and
* great sound
A thorough and useful reply from a user's perspective. And good point about PCP being run in memory - we have a lot of power failures here - lots and lots of trees with limbs that fall on power lines. So a system that doesn't corrupt the SD card when it loses power has a LOT of merit.

Just out of curiosity, have you looked at Max2Play? If so, what are your impressions?

I'll be checking it out. Thanks!
Old 5th February 2018, 08:07 PM   #104
hoverdonkey is offline hoverdonkey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatsushiro View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHAVS View Post
THANK YOU all, very sound info and advice here. Maximizing SQ is my chief aim (and saying "bye-bye" to corrupt SD cards would be very lovely) so I think I must have a go at PCP.

It will be a bit of a steep climb up Mount Learningcurve for me, so one more question before I dive-in, if I may. Will PCP option 3 "A combined LMS server and Squeezebox player" work nicely with music (FLAC) files on a NAS? i.e. I won't be keeping music files on the Pi. I have a Zyxel NSA325 and whilst there seems to be a roundabout way of getting LMS onto it, it's all a bit tricky for me and I would prefer to only fight one battle if possible!

Thanks again.

Last edited by hoverdonkey; 5th February 2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 5th February 2018, 08:12 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverdonkey View Post
THANK YOU all, very sound info and advice here. Maximizing SQ is my chief aim (and saying "bye-bye" to corrupt SD cards would be very lovely) so I think I must have a go at PCP.

It will bit a bit of a steep climb up Mount Learningcurve for me, so one more question before I dive-in, if I may. Will PCP option 3 "A combined LMS server and Squeezebox player" work nicely with music (FLAC) files on a NAS? i.e. I won't be keeping music files on the Pi. I have a Zyxel NSA325 and whilst there seems to be a roundabout way of getting LMS onto it, it's all a bit tricky for me and I would prefer to only fight one battle if possible!

Thanks again.
Couldn't agree more. Looks like I have some additional SD cards in my immediate future.
Old 5th February 2018, 09:55 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Well, wadderyer know... thought I'd throw myself in at the deep end, faffed my way through the settings now I have PCP playing my FLAC files off my NAS! I'm rather pleased with my evening's work, it's just a shame it's too late to have a proper blast! Thanks all again for your encouragement.

Of course, now I'm officially a noob I have more questions...

1 - From a Windows 10 machine, is the best way to control LMS from my browser (i.e. using [IP]:9000) or is there a slicker/better way?

2 - What's a good method from an Android phone?

3 - l thought my Audiophonics I Sabre ES9023 TCXO I2S DAC would throw it but, no, the "I-Sabre-ES9023 DAC" option seems to work. Is this the best, or might there be a better choice?

4 - No idea what CIFS/NFS in NAS mount option, but CIFS seems to work for my NSA325. Okay to leave it on this?
Old 5th February 2018, 10:25 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Well, wadderyer know... thought I'd throw myself in at the deep end, faffed my way through the settings now I have PCP playing my FLAC files off my NAS! I'm rather pleased with my evening's work, it's just a shame it's too late to have a proper blast! Thanks all again for your encouragement.

Of course, now I'm officially a noob I have more questions...

1 - From a Windows 10 machine, is the best way to control LMS from my browser (i.e. using [IP]:9000) or is there a slicker/better way?

2 - What's a good method from an Android phone?

3 - l thought my Audiophonics I Sabre ES9023 TCXO I2S DAC would throw it but, no, the "I-Sabre-ES9023 DAC" option seems to work. Is this the best, or might there be a better choice?

4 - No idea what CIFS/NFS in NAS mount option, but CIFS seems to work for my NSA325. Okay to leave it on this?
I might actually be of some help here for a change.

1) Squeezer on Android, iPeng for iPhone
2) See above.
3) No comment, but I'll be looking on...
5) CIFS (Common Internet File System) is another access protocol, along with SMB (Samba), the latter used in Windows networks, the former typically requires a setting be applied in your NAS but it seems that's been done.
Old 5th February 2018, 10:54 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTheCat View Post
I might actually be of some help here for a change.
Thanks BillTheCat, I'll check out Squeezer once I get Android back (phone may have been stolen, grrr). Is CIFS okay, or am I better off using another access protocol?

Another question... Might I have better SQ if I didn't run LMS on the same Pi as PCP player is running? If so, would a Pi zero be able to handle LMS duties?
Old 6th February 2018, 12:42 AM   #109
Richidoo is offline Richidoo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTheCat View Post
So, leaving aside the bickering between parties here, is there a consensus for those of us looking for a simple answer to which has the better sonic performance: moode vs volumio2?

Or, am I just asking in the wrong place?
I tried them a year ago. I found Volumio to sound very good first time out without changing any settings. Moode sounded less good than Volumio at first, but turning on SoX resampling made it sound excellent, probably a little better ("smoother") than Volumio, but it's hard to compare with online one Pi. Without SoX, Moode screwed up complex harmonic information, like tenor sax overtones.
Old 6th February 2018, 01:19 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks BillTheCat, I'll check out Squeezer once I get Android back (phone may have been stolen, grrr). Is CIFS okay, or am I better off using another access protocol?

Another question... Might I have better SQ if I didn't run LMS on the same Pi as PCP player is running? If so, would a Pi zero be able to handle LMS duties?
I haven't bothered with CIFS, so I can't speak to any advantages or disadvantages.

I also can't comment either way about sound quality related to different apps running concurrently, but I can speculate a bit.

Given that audio player software places a demand on CPU cycles, the less demand or the more capable the CPU the better off you are. Remember that the Pi is also consuming cycles to manage I/O, display (if any) and so on. So, it's a matter of how well coded the software is in terms of efficiency, or how much horsepower you have.

So, in short, I have no clue. :-) I guess you could try, or perhaps there's another experienced member here that can answer. But in the end, you're taking about a difference of $20 between a Zero and Pi3, so for that kind of money, I wouldn't think twice about it.

moode vs volumio vs runeaudioHide this!Advertise here!