Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

moode vs volumio vs runeaudio
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2018, 05:30 PM   #91
Yatsushiro is offline Yatsushiro  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTheCat View Post
So, leaving aside the bickering between parties here, is there a consensus for those of us looking for a simple answer to which has the better sonic performance: moode vs volumio2?

Or, am I just asking in the wrong place?
Or PCP, my current choice.

Considering that it is either 2 SD cards, or putting the two OS's on the same SD card one after each other, why not try both and make your own choice, with your equipment?
Old 4th February 2018, 06:05 PM   #92
BillTheCat is offline BillTheCat
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatsushiro View Post

Considering that it is either 2 SD cards, or putting the two OS's on the same SD card one after each other, why not try both and make your own choice, with your equipment?
Time and effort. Especially since moOde is now a 'roll your own' configuration. I figured you experts will have experimented with various installs across a diversity of equipment and have come to a consensus.
Old 4th February 2018, 06:19 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...have come to a consensus.
Hope you have patience...

As you have read, some are quite vocal in supporting their choice over another.

If time is a challenge, just pick the easiest to install and configure, I'm sure you'll be content.

But if it was me, it'd be PiCorePlayer (and I got here via Rune, Moode, Volumio, Rune again)
Old 4th February 2018, 06:26 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hope you have patience...

As you have read, some are quite vocal in supporting their choice over another.

If time is a challenge, just pick the easiest to install and configure, I'm sure you'll be content.

But if it was me, it'd be PiCorePlayer (and I got here via Rune, Moode, Volumio, Rune again)
Well, it's also a matter of needing four or five Pi/DAC/SDcard sets to do an A/B/C/D... comparison. Looks like I have some work ahead of me.
Old 4th February 2018, 07:25 PM   #95
Greg Erskine is offline Greg Erskine  Australia
piCorePlayer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I figured you experts will have experimented with various installs across a diversity of equipment and have come to a consensus.
You jest

I think we are fortunate to have so many choices, all have their loyal followers.

regards
Greg
Old 4th February 2018, 07:28 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
You jest

I think we are fortunate to have so many choices, all have their loyal followers.

regards
Greg
About the testing, the equipment, or the consensus?
Old 4th February 2018, 07:53 PM   #97
hoverdonkey is offline hoverdonkey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi

I have been using moode and really liked it, but am now put off by the new protracted install process . I managed it, but even then GUI is buggy - all in all it seems a step-back from previous versions!

I started to look at PCP but am a bit confused about what it is/does. Can it work like moode, i.e. find its content on a NAS and be controlled from a browser (e.g. on phone or laptop)?

Thanks

Last edited by hoverdonkey; 4th February 2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 5th February 2018, 03:50 AM   #98
Greg Erskine is offline Greg Erskine  Australia
piCorePlayer
diyAudio Member

hi hoverdonkey,

This might help.

pCP - piCorePlayer
Old 5th February 2018, 06:41 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverdonkey View Post
I started to look at PCP but am a bit confused about what it is/does. Can it work like moode, i.e. find its content on a NAS and be controlled from a browser (e.g. on phone or laptop)?

Thanks

You"re precisely where I was maybe 12 months ago. At first glance PCP can appear confusing, if not a bit daunting. Read the info in the link that Greg posted, there is also a PCP thread on here, and on the slim devices forum.

But essentially yes, PCP is used as you describe, with an arguably better choice of phone apps, with decent UIs, for control, as well as being able to use any web browser. A key initial choice is where you install the LMS element, which largely depends on your NAS.

Believe me, the endeavour will be worthwhile
Old 5th February 2018, 07:56 AM   #100
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

You guys need to get your priorities right first.

Either you ask for all kind of features or you get along with a single purpose
high performance audio engine.

And then you need to decide if you can live with a MPD based system or a squeezelite/LMS based system.

When it comes to soundquality. You'll find in the Moode thread numerous
people claiming to experience a better soundquality, then e.g. Volumio.
I'd sign that at least for the older releases. Most of them havn't tried pCP though.

Moode and Diet-Pi offer both MPD and squeezelite. That'll keep you flexible.
Simply swapping SD-cards is not a big deal either.
Everybody can simply try everything. It's all FOC.

Let's have a word about piCorePlayer. TinyCore - the underlying OS - is an awful OS - from a maintainers perspective.
The folks at piCorePlayer are facing ten times the effort to build, extend and maintain
that OS compared to other OSes.
To be honest. For what reason do I make things more complicated? We can buy 16GB SD-cards only (below 10$) anyhow.
What does it matter if an OS comes with 50MB (pCP) or 500MB ("diet"-pi) or >1GB (the rest) ?
Pretty much all of them just use the kernel, squeezelite and this or that tiny service and the rest is just sitting idle on the SD card !?!?

Bottom line.

Surprise, surprise.

As a single purpose audio engine my first choice would be piCoreplayer ( - for now at least). No. Neither Volumio, nor Moode, nor Rune, nor DietPi would be on the list for that purpose.

* I do prefer a single purpose audio engine. (with separate server)
* I do prefer the LMS environment over MPD.
* pCP comes with quite some audio optimizations and audio kernels nobody else is offering right now.
* their SW and compiler are pretty much up2date (You can't always say that about Raspbian based systems, such as Moode/Volumio/DietPi)
* and it offers some nice tweak options
* All that builds a very promising base for a great audio engine and
* great sound

Enjoy.

moode vs volumio vs runeaudioHide this!Advertise here!