Chromecast audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you recommend? Most of the music that I listen to isn't on Spotify.

You can use uPNP/DLNA.
- Server: Foobar2000 uPNP/DLNA server (need uPNP plugin? By Bubbleguuum....??!).
- Control point: Bubbleupnp runing on my Nexus 4.... Or any Android device.
- Renderer: Chromecast Audio.

I've not seen anything that leads me to believe the CCA can be used as a simple audio device from a PC.

The above assumes you have a home WIFI network.

Has anyone tried mkchromecast or chromecast-audio-stream? I'm getting severe delays with these two, 30 seconds or more, even though casting from android or chrome browser works perfectly. I had to upload my music to google play since this is the only way I can use the chromecast.

Has anyone tried mkchromecast or chromecast-audio-stream? I'm getting severe delays with these two, 30 seconds or more, even though casting from android or chrome browser works perfectly. I had to upload my music to google play since this is the only way I can use the chromecast.

Bubbleupnp works for me.
I have music on my NAS running MiniDLNA. Bubbleupnp on my phone.
I haven't had too much success casting from desktop "x86" systems.

J.

After a few months using the CCaudio in combination with the W4S remedy i am very satisfied. Compared with my Linn cd player playing a cd it is not equal but it is very close (the CCaudio is using the Linn DAC so there is a good comparison to make).

I can recommend it but the Remedy cost me more than €400,-
But the good news is there is a cheaper solution: the Ifi iPurifier. It also has a femto clock.

Please post if you have experience with a reclocker with the CCaudio.

iFi Audio's S/PDIF iPurifier debuts at Fujiya Avic Spring 2016 | DAR__KO

Chromecast Audio | DAR__KO

Just received my iFi S/PDIF iPurifier two weeks ago [Music Direct] to matrix with Chromecast Audio puck and Schiit Modi Multibit DAC. Following manufacturer suggestion I plugged it straight into the coaxial input on the DAC and used a Sys. Concept mini-toslink - toslink cable to couple with the CCA. Straight out of the box I was able to retrieve more detail from familiar sources. End-users report it takes a full three weeks to stablize. Looking forward to what continued use offers.

I picked up a couple of CCA this summer and was caught off guard at the upshift in performance it offered in my system. It's still the weakest link but I'm interested in tweaking it out before exploring other [more costly] options like the sonore microrendu / sonicTransporter 5i / roon. Since the acquisition of the Chromecast Audio I've made a number of system upgrades; Schitt Modi Multibit DAC, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, JJ 2A3 power tubes, Sys. Concepts digital cable and iFi S/PDIF iPurifier reclocker/jitter filter. Couldn't be more pleased with the performance and bang for buck value the Schiit Modi Multibit provides IMS.

Until the iFi stabilizes the full benefit won't be realized but straight out of the box I was making unexpected discoveries from familiar source [pleasant discoveries]. For my 9k system it was easy to appreciate where the extra $800 [total cost of all 5 upgrades] went. At this very early stage I'm unable to measure the value of the iFi but thus far IMS it's not a component I would suggest is critical to the performance of the Multibit.

The iFi reduces the noise floor even further, something that wasn't lacking in my system previously. While sibilance wasn't minimized to the level I was hoping it was reduced. Overall there was a greater cohesiveness to the presentation that made you rely less on the suspension of disbelief to lose yourself into the music. You're able to pick up the most discrete sounds that appear out of nowhere - spooky. Admittedly, some of these are unintended like when you can hear the bus passing outside of the church on The Trinity Sessions CD by the Cowboy Junkies. Chairs creaking, conversations between musicians, foot steps. Unreal. With my Moth SET amp and Silverline Sonatina speakers much of this was in play before the acquisition of the Modi but it does take it to a higher level. The supplied PS is plugged into the Hydra PLC.

Attachments

• schematic.png
    schematic.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 490
To be honest you are aiming quite high.... Not that that is a bad thing.
You also leave your jitter free signal in the digital domain. Requiring D/A conversion to produce music.

BTW: Currys/PC World in the UK has CCA on offer at times. Was £15 earlier this year and last I saw was £20 rather than £30.

My question would be what is the best system including D/A you could build for under 200 Euro.

Raspberry Pi, IQAudio DAC+, Moode Player - under £100

If you want to reclock, the Kali/Piano combo will cost more, but does what you want :https://www.allo.com/sparky/kali-reclocker.html

But personally, unnecessary, the IQ Audio DAC is very good, and comes all the way from cosmopolitan Swindon!

Last edited:
I need help with a related question:

I need speakers for my kitchen/bathroom/basement (single speaker at first) for a multi room setup (mainly spotify/tv/radio streams) and want to stay away from propriertary products like Sonos.
I thought of using active speakers + chromecast but also wondered if I could create something similar with passive speakers. I've got some T2020 Amps lying around, but the problem is that they don't have a standby mode.

My question therefore is: Can anyone recommend small (T2020 or similar) amps that I could use in line with chromecast audio that are able to go in standby mode/wakeup? Or how would you do this?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sorry, wrong link - it's this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...0w-with-high-bass-adjustment/32365948540.html

Better in what sense? (I'm not really a diy audio hardware guy, I'm just trying to understand the options for my use case).

The goal is to have single speakers in the kitchen/bathroom etc and control everything with my smarthome tablet. As mentioned it should be more flexible than Sonos and similar alternatives.
I want to be able to enable turn on a radio stream with a single button in the kitchen.
Due to the "standby" power specification there are no active speakers with powered USB ports during standby.

The cleanest option I found is:

Nubert Nupro A100 speaker, with USB power socket for the chromecast. I could programmatically turn on the speaker with a remote controlled power socket and then activated the stream.
With a passive setup I could either use an AMP that supports standby or just do the same as above, turn on the power socket before activating the stream (might be a problem with certain amps due to that cracking noise).

Better in the sense that it's better - better audio quality, more flexible in protocols, sources, functions, fully digital end-to-end, built in web control, wifi, internet radio streaming.

Maybe if you looked at the links I gave you, you would know more.

You don't need to know hardware, just get a pair of unpowered speakers, hook them up after assembling the Pi/IQ and burning the SD card and feeding it some power.

It's far better than the sonos, for ~$120

I've got that setup driving some Linn's, some B&Ws, some Q-Acoustics, some JBL's - all sound fantastic. More volume than is comfortabl, crisp and clean, no hiss

You can AirPlay off your phone, upnp off your phone, run a central music server, plug in a USB flash drive, play streaming services, so much functionality- give it a look, read the docs, look at the iq website, ask some questions on the forum if you are unclear.

Moode isn't the only software option - there's volumio, rune, pimusicbox, or roll your own using mpd and a bunch of other Linux tools. But Moode is by far the most accomplished, with the best feature set

Edit: I've got the CC - no comparisin. It's an ok basic streaming device, you get what you pay for. Pay a little more, do a bit of brainwork and tinkering and yo have something spectacular.

Last edited:
Depends - if you have a Mac, it's as easy as selecting the devices and playing your music.

If not, there are ways. Google MPD multi room.

But each device is capable of being controlled individually, just bring up its web page and go.

You've got plenty of information to be going on with. It's midnight and you have some reading to do before asking more questions.

Last edited:
I don't have a mac. What I wanted to do with the chromecast is to be able to select a radio source/spotify/etc and the device to stream it to.

I have to find out if that would work with the rPI, but it sounds very interesting.

Straightforward, that's what it does. Moode has a ton of radio stations already configured and you can add your own, Spotify, etc is peasy

Night.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.