Chromecast audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Alkasar,
When "casting" from deezer the phone IS a remote but more in the sence of a remote desktop connection then a IR remote control. So, yes it will drain your battery if you have it constant on because there will be a data stream between the Chrome Cast and your phone but it's not actually streaming from your phoen to the Chromecast. Once you have told the Chrome cast what to do, i.e. play a playlist you can completely turn off your phone and the Chromecast wil continue.

Yes what you describe is the intention. CCA works wery similar to upnp : a server, a player and a controller. All three devices can be separate.

Unfortunately, google implementation does not keep its promises. A quick test tonight : while doing noting else than casting, screen off, the phone battery lost over 13% (from 88% to 75%) in 55 minutes. I can not think of any contoller needing that much energy. IMHO, the software needs some fixing.

If you kill deezer app, casting will stop at the end of the current playing song. As far as i understand, this behaviour relates to the deezer way of being a controller and that's fine (track by track).
Tunein radio is a single track and will continue to cast forever even if app is killed on the phone. However, sound drops out randomly and comes back by itself after few seconds or few minutes. Sometimes a drop every minute during 5 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes with no drop. Looks like serious connexion/buffering issues to resolve.

As for now, due to the sound drops, connexion losses and excessive battery usage, i consider the device not usable and would not recomend.

Last edited:
As for now, due to the sound drops, connexion losses and excessive battery usage, i consider the device not usable and would not recomend.

I noticed tonight while I was casting from my Chrome browser that Google Play would sometimes drop out 1 sec. (bits of static buzz) when I open a few tabs of mostly text and pictures. It does seem that the buffering on this device is very minimal so a sudden burst of bandwidth on the network affects it. Might also just be Chrome sending out a confusing signal to the CC-audio when it jams up with lots of tabs open.

With Google Play it finishes the playlist even when the computer is off.

This may be semi-related.

I'm using AppleTV into optical input of dsp crossover, then to DAC, preamp, amp. (Couldn't resist to get a new AppleTV for $50)

Anywho, I wonder if your dropout issue is related to the device your casting from? For me when I use my old iPhone 4 running iTunes or Pandora, sometimes it will just drop its wifi, and I have to reconnect AirPlay. Sometimes it will do it over and over till I reboot the phone.

If I use my newer iPhone, my son's iPad or my computer, it doesn't drop like that. Your case may be different, but I think the cause of my drops with the old iPhone may be that the device is old, clunky (and perhaps overloaded with apps, cookies, junk, etc.)

This may be semi-related.

I'm using AppleTV into optical input of dsp crossover, then to DAC, preamp, amp. (Couldn't resist to get a new AppleTV for $50)

Anywho, I wonder if your dropout issue is related to the device your casting from? For me when I use my old iPhone 4 running iTunes or Pandora, sometimes it will just drop its wifi, and I have to reconnect AirPlay. Sometimes it will do it over and over till I reboot the phone.

If I use my newer iPhone, my son's iPad or my computer, it doesn't drop like that. Your case may be different, but I think the cause of my drops with the old iPhone may be that the device is old, clunky (and perhaps overloaded with apps, cookies, junk, etc.)
Yes user exeprience varies depending on both the platform (chrome pc, android, iOS) and the casting app. I use an android 5.01 on a Galaxy S4, google supposed to work with google ;)
Seems also that CCA has more issues with 5GHz wifi than 2.4GHz.

In my situation, when in trouble, close/restart the CC app on the phone usually helps, even to solve issues when casting from pc. In some extreme cases, I had to reset the CCA (button on the side).

plenty of unhappy pple on the official CC support forum here :
https://productforums.google.com/fo...oter#!msg/chromecast/t14lRA0E25U/Pzkecx3KDAAJ
various configs, sometimes connexion loss and CCA continues to play, sometimes sound drops.
Seems at this point Google recognized the issue.

Has anyone tried Daphile and CCA using the plugin?

I'm very interested in how/if it performs with multiple CCA with different playlists.

I'm actually planning to pick up a CCA this evening to try it with Daphile/LMS via the plugin, although I'll only be testing a single device initially. LMS itself has no problem with multiple clients, but I'm a bit fuzzy on how the CCA plugin handles multiple devices and hence how they may interfere with each other.

I got mine 2 days ago and love it. The only bad thing is uploading my 1TB of FLAC music using Music Manager. It takes FOREVER. Out of 31000 songs, I only have 680 uploaded after 2 days. Any suggestions?

You want to look into a solution that allows you to cast the flac files from local storage. Some options have already been mentioned in the thread, other are using for example Plex or the ones listed for example here (have not used these so not sure how good): Comparison of 5 methods for streaming local media files to Chromecast - All About Chromecast

I got mine 2 days ago and love it. The only bad thing is uploading my 1TB of FLAC music using Music Manager. It takes FOREVER. Out of 31000 songs, I only have 680 uploaded after 2 days. Any suggestions?

Don't upload stuff, keep it local.

Assuming a windows PC, turn on media streaming in WMP12. Then install Bubbleupnp on your phone or tablet.
Or run Foobar2000 or whatever upnp/DLNA server rather than WMP12.

J.

After a few months using the CCaudio in combination with the W4S remedy i am very satisfied. Compared with my Linn cd player playing a cd it is not equal but it is very close (the CCaudio is using the Linn DAC so there is a good comparison to make).

I can recommend it but the Remedy cost me more than €400,-
But the good news is there is a cheaper solution: the Ifi iPurifier. It also has a femto clock.

Please post if you have experience with a reclocker with the CCaudio.

iFi Audio's S/PDIF iPurifier debuts at Fujiya Avic Spring 2016 | DAR__KO

Chromecast Audio | DAR__KO

Recipe for a cheap but in my experience good streamer:
-Google Chromecast Audio €39,-
-Google Chromecast ethernet adaptor €15,-
-Ifi Audio SPDIF iPurifier €150,-

Total €204,-

I am curious if someone has experience with the Chromecast Audio in combination with a reclocker (iFi or W4S)
Will it compete with moderate streamers like Sonos or Teufel?
Will it even more improve with a better power supply or a dc purifier ?

To be honest you are aiming quite high.... Not that that is a bad thing.
You also leave your jitter free signal in the digital domain. Requiring D/A conversion to produce music.

BTW: Currys/PC World in the UK has CCA on offer at times. Was £15 earlier this year and last I saw was £20 rather than £30.

My question would be what is the best system including D/A you could build for under 200 Euro.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.