Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Chromecast audio
Chromecast audio
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2019, 08:47 AM   #121
Speedysteve7 is offline Speedysteve7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk04 View Post
Not wanting to spoil the CCA thread but I came here having being disheartened with Rpi with Volumio. Spent a testing afternoon today loading Moode and it seems to work, albeit I keep getting a crackly static noise.

But after all the effort....not sure it's good enough to warrant over a CCA.

Full disclosure.....CCA into a stock Cambridge DAC magic.....Rpi with a berry dac+ pro

I am still a CCA proponent!
Berry DAC+ pro is what's holding you back there I think.
Need a Allo Digione or Signature to step up a level.
Old 20th January 2019, 11:17 AM   #122
Yatsushiro is online now Yatsushiro  France
diyAudio Member

Even with a Berry DAC+, there should not be a crackly static noise. I would suggest persevering with your RPi over the CCA.

To try and identify the source of your static, I'd try removing your DAC, and using the RPi 3.5mm jack. If the static disappears, then the problem is with the DAC. IIRC, there may be some issues with some of the HiFiBerry drivers, so may be worth experimenting.

If your RPI proves to be static free, I'd suggest an Allo Boss 1.2, as this is a relatively cheap upgrade, compared to the Digione. I'd expect an RPi/Boss combination to be noticeably better than the CCA, unless there is something unusual downstream (preamp, amp etc)

Last edited by Yatsushiro; 20th January 2019 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Fat Finger Spelling
Old 20th January 2019, 11:29 AM   #123
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

If the CCA is connected to a DAC, won't that define the quality?
Old 20th January 2019, 02:42 PM   #124
audiobomber is offline audiobomber  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
If the CCA is connected to a DAC, won't that define the quality?
Not completely:
1. CCA jitter worsens as resolution goes up, and gets quite ugly at 96/24
2. Optical connection is compromised vs. USB or I2S

IME, the RPI 3 B+ sounds better into the same DAC (iFi Audio nano iOne), as long as you don't power the DAC from the RPI USB port.
The considerably more expensive sms-200 sounds much better than CCA, both streaming into my Audiolab 8200CD.
Old 3rd February 2019, 03:58 PM   #125
jimk04 is offline jimk04  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Can't seem to get 24bit/96 out of the CCA via optical I to my DAC. Streamer is doing it's thing to the CCA but there it all goes quiet.

I thought it support3s 24bit

Chromecast audioHide this!Advertise here!