Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Greg Erskine is offline Greg Erskine  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite + LMS

piCorePlayer is a dedicated Squeezebox player (like a Duet receiver) for your Raspberry Pi. It is built on a small read-only linux (Tiny Core/piCore) and Triodes excellent Squeezelite player. It is small, very small, only 75Mb.

December 12 2015

Please try the new release (piCorePlayer 1.22).
Ralphy has been a great support and help during the development - so thank you very much.

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/news

Changes:
  • Updated kernel 4.1.12.
  • Updated piCore (even faster booting).
  • Touchscreen support improved (the official raspberry 7" touchscreen).
  • Calibration file included.
  • Jivelite can be installed from webpage.
  • VU-Meters can be changed from webpage.
  • New high quality default VU-Meter made by forum member Kolossos - thank you very much.
  • Backlight on/off (Jivelite settings/screen/screensavers/when stopped/Display off ) then the backlight will be off when not playing, and on when you touch the screen.
  • Ralphy is providing two versions of squeezelite. The basic version which is shipped with pCP allow playback of pcm, (wav/aiff), flac, mp3, ogg and aac. It is only 1 Mb in size. The ffmpeg version is bigger (12 MB) and allows in addition playback of ALAC and WMA via build in ffmpeg. In the Main page you can choose which version you will use.
After customizing Jivelite you need to save your changes to the next reboot. This is done on the webpage ("advanced tab" in the bottom and choose "backup").

Download

https://sites.google.com/site/picore.../home/download

This software has been around for a couple of years now, but has a fairly low profile at diyAudio.

regards
Steen & Greg

Last edited by Greg Erskine; 23rd May 2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10th June 2015, 05:41 PM   #2
DanHat is offline DanHat  United States
diyAudio Member

I am using this version of the software myself now on a RPi2. I am running usb to a Grant Fidelity tubedac-09. It seems to sound better than my squeezebox touch through the s/pdif input.
Old 13th June 2015, 01:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHat View Post
I am using this version of the software myself now on a RPi2. I am running usb to a Grant Fidelity tubedac-09. It seems to sound better than my squeezebox touch through the s/pdif input.
hi DanHat,

That looks like a nice little DAC. Thanks for reporting it works on piCorePlayer. What DAC chip do they use? I couldn't see any mention of it.

Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter

regards
Greg
Old 13th June 2015, 01:22 AM   #4
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

in the link you posted it says Cirus Logic chip CS4398 as plain as day if you scroll down, I assume this is what you are asking ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 13th June 2015, 02:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
in the link you posted it says Cirus Logic chip CS4398 as plain as day if you scroll down, I assume this is what you are asking ?
Thanks Bigun, I must be blind.
Old 24th June 2015, 09:36 AM   #6
parrymike is offline parrymike  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I set up my Pi2 last night with piCorePlayer and the PIFI/HIFI DiGi+ card (from DX, aliexpress, banggood,audiophonics + others). Worked straight out of the box, choosing the i2s-audio DAC (HifiBerry). Not had chance for a good listen but initial impressions were very good. It does everything you'd expect it to do.

It would be nice to have lms running on the same Pi rather than my very underpowered NAS. Has anybody tried this? I know squeezeplug offers this but setting up the SPDIF card is a paid for option.
Old 24th June 2015, 09:53 AM   #7
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Apart from the low cost, is there any advantage over using an old computer with, say, Daphile which has the advantage of easy browser setup and management?
Old 24th June 2015, 10:29 AM   #8
parrymike is offline parrymike  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I guess it is useful when you already have a few squeezeboxes in use. Also Pis are silent and low power.
Old 25th June 2015, 10:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrymike View Post
I set up my Pi2 last night with piCorePlayer and the PIFI/HIFI DiGi+ card (from DX, aliexpress, banggood,audiophonics + others). Worked straight out of the box, choosing the i2s-audio DAC (HifiBerry). Not had chance for a good listen but initial impressions were very good. It does everything you'd expect it to do.

It would be nice to have lms running on the same Pi rather than my very underpowered NAS. Has anybody tried this? I know squeezeplug offers this but setting up the SPDIF card is a paid for option.
Hi parrymike,

That's what I like to hear 'Worked straight out of the box".

I don't know of anyone getting LMS running on top of piCore Linux.

We have tried to minimise the size of piCorePlayer by starting with piCore and only adding the bare minimal number of packages. This means piCorePlayer is only about 30M not 1000M or 2000M.

regards
Old 25th June 2015, 10:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromperie View Post
Apart from the low cost, is there any advantage over using an old computer with, say, Daphile which has the advantage of easy browser setup and management?
hi Tromperie,

I thought piCorePlayer also had an "easy browser setup and management"? although it is mainly used as a headless squeezelite player.

As I mentioned in the previous post, piCorePlayer is designed to be very small. Almost everything is loaded into memory and run from there. This means you can just power it off and turn it on.

At the end of the day, the DIYer has lots of very good choices.

regards

piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + SqueezeliteHide this!Advertise here!