piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite

+1 for Material.

I would think that the SqueezeBox platform (pre Logitech) has got to be one of my longest lived bits of Tech. Got a Boom as clock radio that just goes on & on.

Then the likes of Materials/PiCorePlayer/iPlayer radio plugins just keep it going. Great work guys.:up::up::up:

I have just finshed housing my setup for my hifi unit based on Raspberry Pi 3B, 5" HDMI capacitive touchscreen, PiCorePlayer, IR remote control receiver, Allo Boss DAC, Custom PSU with split supplies for Audio path and rPi.

I did play around with Volumio on this for a bit but being invested in the LMS architecture it didn't really make any sense.

Attachments

• IMG_6399.jpg
    IMG_6399.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 925
  • IMG_6401.jpg
    IMG_6401.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_6402.jpg
    IMG_6402.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 496
Cheers

Started out as screenless build using volumio using a Douk audio chassis. Then I decided to go back to PiCorePlayer and the screen was a very nice addition. But then I got PSU problems with the new rPi I dropped in so I had to upgrade the PSU (5.1v) to support it.

As the new PSU was open frame I 3D printed a protective cover for it and a new front panel.

It’s so good I’m wondering if I could adapt PiCore to include full preamp and source selection?

Hi Greg and you all,

This post started in 2015 and there is lot to read.

I am here because I wish to make a standalone player base on rpi3b+/pCP and never succeeded. pCP needs network to boot.
For the moment, I start my player with an Ethernet cable connected to it (I do not want to use wifi) and disconnect once pCP has booted and then I have my standalone player. Is there a way to make pCP boot without the network?
I would be grateful if someone could point me directly to the post related to my concern if available please.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi NVD33,

I've never actually tried to make a standalone system. Just a couple of points that may help.

pCP should boot without a network connection but LMS may not start though.

A network connection is required for 2 things, downloading extensions and setting the time through ntpd. I think LMS now requires the time to be set. ??

Guys have done standalone systems, I am not sure how.

regards

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Hi *,

I'm a pCp noob, but I do run standalone. If standalone === WAP.

I run RPi3A+ so don't have the luxury of a Ethernet connection.

From my understanding you need some kind of network connection in order to communicate with LMS. In my case, I setup a WAP SSID. I connect to the SSID like I would any other access point. So on my iPhone, I goto Setting | WiFi and connect to the RPi via SSID (WAP setup). I then navigate via iPeng.

I have the luxury to navigate via IR remote and bypass a network connection, but that's a completely separate issue.

After everything is updated and good to go, I change the RPi Wifi chip from a 'client' to a 'receiver'. So WiFi has to be enabled either for 'client' or 'receiver'.

To get to the WAP settings, you need to click 'Advanced' on the bottom tabs. In previous versions of pCP, it was under the 'Beta" tab.

Once you configure your WAP (similar to configuring a router), the 'client'-side WiFi will no longer be available. In my case, if everything is not configured properly you can hit a roadblock and no longer able to connect to the RPi. In your case you can just connect a Ethernet cable as normal and re-configure as needed.

Once you successful connect via WAP, you can disable Ethernet. Then I guess it's standalone at this point.

The benefit of standalone is less latency in iPeng. Since you are connecting directly to the RPi, you are not jumping through hoops to get to LMS.

Once you connect via WAP, you can configure pCP like you normally would with the IP address distributed to you. This may change. For example, if you normally use 192.168.1.100 for pCp in a web browser to configure in WAP it maybe 10.10.1.100 instead since you are getting an IP address from a different DHCP device.

Note: For A+, I have a USB->Ethernet device. So in previous versions of pcP, I had to load the network driver (netusb?). In current version, you just add a file named 'netusb'? to the BOOT folder and everything will be auto-handled. I need to connect to the network via USB->Ethernet device to update now and then.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
1) Up2Date pCP w/ built-in WiFi
2) Add a file named 'netusb'? to BOOT.
3) Connect USB->Ethernet device to have a second network connection to configure WAP.
4) Connect to the USB->Ethernet device's IP address in Web Browser to disable WiFi client and configure WAP (WiFi Receiver).
5) Connect to pCP via WAP SSID.
6) Remove USB->Ethernet device from system.

For 3B+, I'm guessing:

1) Up2Date pCP w/ built-in Ethernet
2) Connect to the Ethernet device's IP address in Web Browser to disable WiFi client and configure WAP (WiFi Receiver).
3) Connect to pCP via WAP SSID.
4) Disable Ethernet device from system.

You can enable Ethernet through the SSID Web Browser config when you want to do updates.

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
I re-read the question and didn't take into account touchscreen users.

I'm guessing you can plug in a USB->Ethernet device into the 3B+, disable all the network connections and then remove the USB->Ethernet device.

Just plug in the USB->Ethernet device when your want to configure or update.

Hi NVD33,

I've never actually tried to make a standalone system. Just a couple of points that may help.

pCP should boot without a network connection but LMS may not start though.

A network connection is required for 2 things, downloading extensions and setting the time through ntpd. I think LMS now requires the time to be set. ??

Guys have done standalone systems, I am not sure how.

regards

I have setup several standalone systems and LMS starts without a network connection. I must admit I did not consider ntp when setting up - just a standard pcp player with lms enabled. My latest system is a rpi4 using a wap to enable a tablet as controller and bluetooth speaker.

Ian

Joined 2002
Paid Member
hi ianrt,

Thanks. What version of piCorePlayer are you using?

We have recently had a spate of user suffering power blackouts and their pCP's were coming up faster than their routers/internet connection resulting ntpd not setting the time properly. I think (I don't do the LMS related programming), we added a check that the time has been set before LMS starts. If this is the case then it might cause an issue for standalone systems.

regards

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
^^

Thank you @paul123 and @Greg Erskine for your massive pCP contributions.

This was what I was thinking. I never had NTPD issues with latest pCP/LMS upgrades and was wondering how it would be an issue. I run almost exclusively in WAP mode.

I don't run on mains tho, so not affected by power blackouts. I run a LiFePO4 battery on my RPi, but for audio reasons not software. My preference is zero mains and battery-only for music listening.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Since I'm new to this site, I was unaware this thread existed until Greg pointed in out so will copy and paste my post from another thread:

-----

piCorePlayer +1 with IR remote control.

I love the old school feel of having a IR remote to control the music. Plus it's very responsive. I think it's an underrated feature and one I cannot live without for the total music experience.

It was a PITA to setup with third-party remotes, but once I figured out you can emulate old squeezebox native remotes it was downhill. I was never successful getting third-party remotes to work because of likely file permissions issues.

Device Compatibility

MANUFACTURER: Logitech
MODEL NUMBER OR PRODUCT NAME: Squeezebox

The Squeezebox is confirmed with the above search parameters as a working downloadable device compatible with Harmony remotes. From there, it's a simple download of the remote codes.

I then copy and paste from the Harmony remote to a cheap Chinese learning remote.

Very functional and minimalistic with tactile feedback.

#picoreplayer4life

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.
I ban the use of radio signals in my audio system because of the amplifier (valves amplifier). It catches "everything" in the air and send it to the speakers. For instance, if a smartphone is around my system, each times the phone tries to connect to the mobile network one can hear it clearly. This is the reason I wanted to setup pCP as a standalone player to avoid the use of radio signals (wifi, bluetooth, smartphone, etc). I control Pcp by a touchscreen connected to the rpi.
I think that I will keep doing what I have done until now because it is simple despite that I have to repeat the startup procedure again if I forget to connect the rpi to Ethernet before powering it up !

Regards,

Last edited:
I tried picoreplayer since RBP1 and now I have RBP3.... also tried both hifiberry and allo digi one which I use now. Only thing that never worked for me - is playback of 192Khz files. Never found out why... sometimes it choppy and sometimes it simply does not play these files. Luckily I dont beliee much in hi-res - but I still wonder.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.
I ban the use of radio signals in my audio system because of the amplifier (valves amplifier). It catches "everything" in the air and send it to the speakers. For instance, if a smartphone is around my system, each times the phone tries to connect to the mobile network one can hear it clearly. This is the reason I wanted to setup pCP as a standalone player to avoid the use of radio signals (wifi, bluetooth, smartphone, etc). I control Pcp by a touchscreen connected to the rpi.
I think that I will keep doing what I have done until now because it is simple despite that I have to repeat the startup procedure again if I forget to connect the rpi to Ethernet before powering it up !

Regards,

Using a touch screen on your Pi for control should mean that you do not need an Ethernet connection, even for start up. Where is your music stored?