piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite

It's not about 64bit audio data playback.

It's about 64bit processing. That's a different subject.
Things can and many get more efficient. From what I read 20-30% performance gain in certain areas can be expected.

Considering the extremely poor RPI performance on e.g. HQ resampling. I'd very well appreciate such a boost.

I'll run the benchmarks if I'm done with it.

And it's not that there are no full (kernel and userspace) 64bit RPI OSes around. Actually they are around for quite a while.
The issue was the mainlinekernel and Uboot on these 64bit systems.
The PI without the PI kernel IMO looses it's key selling point. Since Pi4 the RPI folks concentrate much more on the 64-bit PI kernel.
That changes the game.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I want to say thanks to the PcP team for their support in getting my USBBridge Signatures up on PcP the last several days. I'm big into small op systems and player footprints and PcP fits that perfectly. AND they have made getting this running on their new Beta a pleasure!

THANKS ALL!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. See my posts #588 & #594 in Allo's Shanti / USBBridge Sig thread:

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A

Basically, the USBBridge Signature used as an RPi-substitute I2S source is STUNNING. Definitely as large of a step above my linear-regulated-modified RPi 2B as they were above a stock RPi. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Dear Greg.

If you'd like to promote/introduce that product I'd really appreciate if you'd open a new thread.
I'd love to comment. I'd give my 2cts why people better think twice to go for such a product!

I'm big into small op systems and player footprints and PcP fits that perfectly.

Wow. Didn't realize you switched sides. Now you're also BIG on the software side. That's good. We all know that only SW AND HW makes a solution.

Perhaps you could share your experiences on that SW side in another thread! Looking forward to it.

Great to have you around.

Just FYI - since we've been discussing it recently.

I finally manged to build a complete 64bit ArchLinux installation - kernel & userland.

Code:
root@boss64:~# uname -a
Linux boss64 4.19.76-rt25-sc1 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Sun Oct 6 14:11:00 CEST 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

root@boss64:~# file /usr/bin/ls
/usr/bin/ls: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, ARM aarch64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-aarch64.so.1, BuildID[sha1]=d3d0049a9af71d4be7a4dafff7d668b248b75319, for GNU/Linux 3.7.0, stripped

Not that many 64bit RPI OSes (with RPI kernel!) around. :D

Note:
The RPI kernel is prerequisite to get our beloved audio HATs going.
Since most 64bit systems come with the mainline kernel most audio devices
and a lot of other things wouldn't be working anymore. The RPI kernel
is a must and it's gonna be that way for quite a while.

Let see if Paul (and TinyCore) can catch up with a 64bit userland sooner or later. ;)

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Have you had the chance to do any 32/64 bit benchmarking? Then of course does it make any real audible changes? Curious if the effort is really worth it.

Not yet. I'm still in the process to analyze and understand the situation. You know that the devil lies in the details. ;)
For sure it's more then just a simple swap. And there's not much info around. Lot's off digging.

E.g.
* rewriting/updating all my scripts
* gcc CFLAGS are different
* I tried to compile flac/libflac and I'm not sure yet if and how NASM works on 64bit ARM.
* and then ArchLinux doesn't offer a 64-bit userland for PI-4.

I think you'd do good to not waste too much time on it for know.
You'd obviously would have to provide a separate 64bit image, just for PI3/4. Not sure if you really want to go down that road.
Your 64bit kernel und 32bit userland is a stable and extremely well working solution. IMO no need to step up in the near future.

I have an issue with picore 5 on rpi3

Setting up an NFS share isn't working.
I have 'additional file systems' installed.

When trying to mount it 'by hand' in a shell I get
Code:
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.178.66:/export/data test
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.178.66:/export/data,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail or so.
which indicates that something is still missing
(the mount works fine on a raspian-install)
Rüdiger

Try adding the following at the end of your mount command:
Code:
-o username=yourusername,password=yourpassword,sec=ntlm,vers=3,uid=1001,gid=50
If you didnt' set a username or password, just put in "username=1,password=1".

Hello all, hope you're good in these bad days!

I have a question/remark: I used Picore with Hifiberry DAC+Pro for a long time with LMS installed on the same Rpi, I changed my speakers recently and the sound quality was not good at all.
Then I tried Max2Play and Dietpi with only Squeezelite and LMS running (should be equivalent to Picore then): the sound quality is much better than Picore (I had no voices, like no medium frequencies).

Does someone have an idea of why I find so bid sound quality difference between Picore and the two other (quite equivalent in sond quality)?

Thanks.

I didn't change the amplifier, what is strange is that with exactly the same hardawre config, I test the 3 distributions on 3 SD cards and the sound is very different.
Could it be a difference in the driver for my Hifiberry DAC (I don't know if the developpers have the choice between several drivers as for windows hardware for instance or if the driver is generic and the same for all developpers)?

By the way I didn't try to go back to Picore 5 to se if there is a sound difference with Picore 6!

I am no expert at this, but I had a similar problem just last week with my computer's soundcard (running Linux). It turned out to be a setting in the ALSA mixer, the de-emphasis switch was on (or off?)... Just thought I would point that out. Run alsamixer and check... maybe the hifiberry doesn't have that setting, but maybe it does. Worth a try.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Could it be a difference in the driver for my Hifiberry DAC (I don't know if the developpers have the choice between several drivers as for windows hardware for instance or if the driver is generic and the same for all developpers)?

hi djedje7676,

Most of the popular Audio HAT manufacturers get their drivers included into Raspbian. Once there, we include them into piCorePlayer. This process ensures it's not violating open source licenses. I assume other distributions do a similar thing.

We usually don't include drivers from other locations as they often have been taken from closed source software or have violated a NDA or license. Some HAT manufacturers don't do the right thing!

HiFiBerry was one of the first manufacturers to get drivers into Raspbian and as such, others often leverage HiFiBerry drivers.

BTW: When messing around with the speakers did you accidently get one wired in reverse. If speakers are wired with different phases the sound is partially cancelled.

regards
Greg

I followed soundchecks advise on his great website and build basically a LMS server based on my xeon file server, so a real machine, and a RP4 with Ians fifo feeding I2S into a Soekris DAC.

The good news...I got music and what I hear is very very good. I will cross compare to other Linux distros and players, but currently it feels like it got everything right. Tone, transparency, dynamics...all there...very natural and alive.

A few detailed questions:

- Whats the best ipad remote software ?
- How thick needs a NAS to ne in order to run LMS ..not sure I want a big machine running always 24/7...x86 min ?
- Is there a difference in sound Rp2 vs. Rp 3, Rp4 or even allo usbridge ?

Last edited:
Ok, I went into some serious listening tonight and compared my sofar reference mpdpup with usb and alix/sotm to RP4 with fifopi and picoreplayer:

They share the same clarity with picoreplayer a tad more trebles and therefore potentially clarity. Alix very similar, but warmer, fuller tone. Like you change a Tube. So people with a warm Svetlana 300B might like to compensate this with picoreplayer and others with a Kron 842 the other way round.

Both have a similar quality level in terms of cohorence and realismn, very good.

I like the menus of the picoreplayer and see many option to tweak the sound I guess. So, if I would like to give the picoreplayer (realtimekernel) a bit more of the fuller tone (withoit loosing too much transparency)....what would you tweak ? I will start comparing the standard kernel with the RT i guess with the same settings otherwise...

Can I take the Picoreplayer-SD-Card from the RP4 now simply and plug the same card into a RP3 or RP 2 ?

So, is the system configuring it self with each re-boot or is this done with the first boot from the SDcard, so once it installed itself towards one version of the RP the same card is only good for this one platform ?

Why don't you just try it out? You cannot break anything. It's not like the system re-rewrites some configuration on your SD card when you boot into a different system... so I would just try it. I do that with computers all the time... I connect a hard disk that has Linux on it to a completely different computer as the one where it was installed. Sometimes it works without problems... sometimes I get some errors, but it will never just make the disk unusable afterwards.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Can I take the Picoreplayer-SD-Card from the RP4 now simply and plug the same card into a RP3 or RP 2 ?

So, is the system configuring it self with each re-boot or is this done with the first boot from the SDcard, so once it installed itself towards one version of the RP the same card is only good for this one platform ?

Hi Blitz,

Depends, but probably OK.

Initially the piCorePlayer image is compatible will all versions of the Raspberry Pi.

If you then start loading extra extensions, pCP will only download extensions compatible with the host RPi. Most extensions are compatible with all RPi's but a few are dependant on architecture. The RPi's CPUs are single core, quad core and the RPi4 is a different quad core. The RPi4 pCP kernel is 64bit vs 32bit for the others.

What I really like about pCP is it takes only about 10 seconds to burn a SD image. So very little pain to start again. :D

regards

Squeezepad

Hi Blitz,

- For me the best ipad remote is Squeezepad (Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad). Nice and clear layout, no nonsense, It does everything I want from it.

- I run my LMS on a Synology NAS with a 2Ghz ARM processor and 512MB RAM. Works without problems although I wouldn't mind more speed when loading e.g. long artists lists. If this is limited by the LMS hardware I don't know.

There are some nice Celeron based backbones from Gigabyte (BRIX) or Intel NUC which can be used to build a low consumption, low cost x86 based system which should be more powerful. May be worth checking.