Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2019, 11:08 AM   #361
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

It's not about 64bit audio data playback.

It's about 64bit processing. That's a different subject.
Things can and many get more efficient. From what I read 20-30% performance gain in certain areas can be expected.

Considering the extremely poor RPI performance on e.g. HQ resampling. I'd very well appreciate such a boost.

I'll run the benchmarks if I'm done with it.

And it's not that there are no full (kernel and userspace) 64bit RPI OSes around. Actually they are around for quite a while.
The issue was the mainlinekernel and Uboot on these 64bit systems.
The PI without the PI kernel IMO looses it's key selling point. Since Pi4 the RPI folks concentrate much more on the 64-bit PI kernel.
That changes the game.
Old 30th September 2019, 03:44 AM   #362
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

I want to say thanks to the PcP team for their support in getting my USBBridge Signatures up on PcP the last several days. I'm big into small op systems and player footprints and PcP fits that perfectly. AND they have made getting this running on their new Beta a pleasure!

THANKS ALL!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. See my posts #588 & #594 in Allo's Shanti / USBBridge Sig thread:

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A

Basically, the USBBridge Signature used as an RPi-substitute I2S source is STUNNING. Definitely as large of a step above my linear-regulated-modified RPi 2B as they were above a stock RPi. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Old 30th September 2019, 08:21 AM   #363
diyAudio Member

Dear Greg.

If you'd like to promote/introduce that product I'd really appreciate if you'd open a new thread.
I'd love to comment. I'd give my 2cts why people better think twice to go for such a product!

Quote:
I'm big into small op systems and player footprints and PcP fits that perfectly.
Wow. Didn't realize you switched sides. Now you're also BIG on the software side. That's good. We all know that only SW AND HW makes a solution.

Perhaps you could share your experiences on that SW side in another thread! Looking forward to it.

Great to have you around.
Old 10th October 2019, 02:40 PM   #364
diyAudio Member

Just FYI - since we've been discussing it recently.

I finally manged to build a complete 64bit ArchLinux installation - kernel & userland.

Code:
root@boss64:~# uname -a
Linux boss64 4.19.76-rt25-sc1 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Sun Oct 6 14:11:00 CEST 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

root@boss64:~# file /usr/bin/ls
/usr/bin/ls: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, ARM aarch64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-aarch64.so.1, BuildID[sha1]=d3d0049a9af71d4be7a4dafff7d668b248b75319, for GNU/Linux 3.7.0, stripped
Not that many 64bit RPI OSes (with RPI kernel!) around.

Note:
The RPI kernel is prerequisite to get our beloved audio HATs going.
Since most 64bit systems come with the mainline kernel most audio devices
and a lot of other things wouldn't be working anymore. The RPI kernel
is a must and it's gonna be that way for quite a while.

Let see if Paul (and TinyCore) can catch up with a 64bit userland sooner or later.

Enjoy.

Last edited by soundcheck; 10th October 2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11th October 2019, 12:14 AM   #365
paul123 is offline paul123
diyAudio Member

Have you had the chance to do any 32/64 bit benchmarking? Then of course does it make any real audible changes? Curious if the effort is really worth it.
Old 11th October 2019, 07:59 AM   #366
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul123 View Post
Have you had the chance to do any 32/64 bit benchmarking? Then of course does it make any real audible changes? Curious if the effort is really worth it.
Not yet. I'm still in the process to analyze and understand the situation. You know that the devil lies in the details.
For sure it's more then just a simple swap. And there's not much info around. Lot's off digging.

E.g.
* rewriting/updating all my scripts
* gcc CFLAGS are different
* I tried to compile flac/libflac and I'm not sure yet if and how NASM works on 64bit ARM.
* and then ArchLinux doesn't offer a 64-bit userland for PI-4.

I think you'd do good to not waste too much time on it for know.
You'd obviously would have to provide a separate 64bit image, just for PI3/4. Not sure if you really want to go down that road.
Your 64bit kernel und 32bit userland is a stable and extremely well working solution. IMO no need to step up in the near future.
Old 19th October 2019, 01:37 PM   #367
Onvinyl is offline Onvinyl
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul123 View Post
Sorry, I lost track of the conversations over here......did you get your NFS problem sorted.

More than likely you are missing a mount option "vers=x" (Where x = 3 or possibly 2) it depends on what you are trying to connect to.
No, Iíve given up. Using a usb drive instead of network now.

piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + SqueezeliteHide this!Advertise here!