piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite

here is what I'm talking about…
89A64306-BE4A-4C9B-A1B3-FDCEB4870D42.jpeg

Hi guys,

an rpi newbie here. I've just got Raspberry Pi 2B rev. 1.2, I picked it since a) it has no noisy WIFI and b) it already has a 64-bit core, would like to replace my Bluesound Node. Unfortunately, it does not like the latest piCorePlayer version (8.2.0) - with 64-bit version, it stops while booting just showing a color palette screen with no activity on LAN, and with 32-bit version it even does not connect to the display.

Then I decided to try some legacy and yes, it works with e.g. v3.21.0, kudos for developers! :love:

So, I have two questions:

- was there any support drop for old Raspberry Pi versions like mine 2B rev. 1.2?

- could you suggest some older piCorePlayer release, which was "the best" for my board version? (according to my needs, please, see below)

Software-wise, at the beginning I'd like to run both LMS and Squeezelite on the same board for my initial experiments, so preferably LMS with streaming (like deezer) should already be supported. Maybe I'll split them after, having one board with LMS on a "dirty" side of my setup and another one with the player on a "clean" side just near the DAC.

Hardware-wise it's very simple: I only need a generic I2S support for TDA1543 and other legacy DACs, so no fancy modern stuff here.

P.S.: I hope this thread is still alive :unsure:

@Michael G.

I just checked in the pCP config txt and the rpi should have been recognised

login as: tc
tc@192.168.1.1**'s password:
_ _____ ___ __
_ (_) _/__ _______ / _ \/ /__ _ ___ ____
/ _ \/ / // _ \/ __/ -_) _/ / _ `/ // / -) _/
/ .//\/\// \// //\,/\, /\_/_/
// /__/

piCorePlayer = piCore + Squeezelite + Raspberry Pi

The software is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind,
either express or implied, including without limitation any implied
warranties of condition, uninterrupted use, merchantability,
fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement.
tc@lms:~$ mount /mnt/mmcblk0p1
mount: /mnt/mmcblk0p1: can't find in /etc/fstab.
tc@lms:~$ m1
tc@lms:~$ c1
tc@lms:/mnt/sdb1$ nanofg
-sh: nanofg: not found
tc@lms:/mnt/sdb1$ vicfg
# For more options and information see
# http://rpf.io/configtxt
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# RPi PI0-1-2 are not supported on this image.

[PI02]
initramfs rootfs-pCP64-13.2.gz,modules-5.15.35-pcpCore-v8.gz followkernel
kernel kernel51535v8.img
arm_64bit=1

[PI3]
kernel kernel51535v8.img
arm_64bit=1

[PI4]
kernel kernel51535v8.img
arm_64bit=1

[CM4]
otg_mode=1

[ALL]

cmdline cmdline.txt

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output

- /mnt/sdb1/config.txt 1/108 0%

Hi there! I also just built a Raspberry Pi 4 with PiCoreplayer + LMS. Works great connected to an external USB DAC, but whenever I turn the DAC off and back on, it loses the connection and I have to reboot LMS in the web interface. It sees the DAC according to the logs, it also doesn't help to define a specific device in the ALSA settings... there was a script floating around that supposedly rebooted LMS automatically when the DAC was found again, but I am a total noob and don't know what to do with that or where to put it?

Does anyone have experience with that?

Cheers!

Joined 2002
Paid Member
You are rebooting the Raspberry Pi, nothing to do with LMS. Ensure your DAC is on before you boot pCP. The DAC needs to be on, and recognised before Squeezelite starts otherwise squeezelite fails to start.

I power my USB DAC via the RPi USB, so never have this issue.

There are a few solutions, but I have not found one that works in all situations, otherwise I would have included it in pCP.

There are a few threads here: https://forums.slimdevices.com/

BTW: We have included some changes in the next version of pCP that will make these "scripts" simpler and more reliable.

here are a few solutions, but I have not found one that works in all situations, otherwise I would have included it in pCP.

Thank you for the response!
People were mentioning udev rules a lot, I know nothing about unix scripting and that kind of stuff, but by now I got the gist of what they are talking about - basically a rule that restarts Squeezelite, because that's really all I need to do every time, that triggers whenever a "new" usb device is connected. Wouldn't even matter which one, because it's always just that DAC.

What kind of changes are you talking about, something that would make this accessible to a complete novice like me, or more in the sense of, if you already know what you're doing, now you can do it faster?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sounds like you have a reasonable understanding of udev. When testing some of the solutions I noted there were circumstances where the results were not as expected or consistent.

I made the squeezelite start/stop/restart/force script more robust.

Added the following to the pcp CLI

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Squeezelite
-----------
- pcp sls : (s)queeze(l)ite (s)tart
- pcp slk : (s)queeze(l)ite (k)ill
- pcp slr : (s)queeze(l)ite (r)estart
- pcp slf : (s)queeze(l)ite (f)orce
- pcp sl : (s)queeze(l)ite status
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This should help make people's scripts simpler and more reliable.