piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Greg and you all,

This post started in 2015 and there is lot to read.

I am here because I wish to make a standalone player base on rpi3b+/pCP and never succeeded. pCP needs network to boot.
For the moment, I start my player with an Ethernet cable connected to it (I do not want to use wifi) and disconnect once pCP has booted and then I have my standalone player. Is there a way to make pCP boot without the network?
I would be grateful if someone could point me directly to the post related to my concern if available please.

hi NVD33,

Progress report:

Prompted by your question I have tried to make a standalone pCP6.1.0/squeezelite/LMS system. From my initial test, if you load LMS via ethernet cable, then reboot without the ethernet cable, piCorePlayer will boot but LMS will NOT start.

As people have standalone working, there must be a combination of settings that avoid some of the checks during the boot process. It might be something like (just made up) start with pCP5.0.0, setup with wifi, then do an instu-upgrade.

regards
Greg

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Any chance of a link to cheap Chinese learning remote.

Amazon.com: CHUNGHOP Universal IR Mini Learning Remote Control RM-L7 with 7 Keys for TV VCR CBL DVD VCD CD SAT Smart Controller: Electronics

Tip: Backup Your Camera Remotes! - YouTube

I use these remotes also for the family van video player. If that proprietary video player remote is lost, it's about a $200 replacement via Toyota special order.

These things < $10 and work well. They have a decent feedback, not mechanical keyboard feedback but I could distinguish when changing tracks.

I have not tried their other models as I want minimalism. Anything more and I just stick with the Harmony remote.

Last edited:
Progress report:

Prompted by your question I have tried to make a standalone pCP6.1.0/squeezelite/LMS system. From my initial test, if you load LMS via ethernet cable, then reboot without the ethernet cable, piCorePlayer will boot but LMS will NOT start.

As people have standalone working, there must be a combination of settings that avoid some of the checks during the boot process. It might be something like (just made up) start with pCP5.0.0, setup with wifi, then do an instu-upgrade.

regards
Greg

Yes, I certainly started with an earlier version, then upgraded (to 6.0 first, then 6.1)
i.e. I have not installed 6.x directly.

Ian

Thanks for the info Ian.

I just worked out if you start with pCP6.1.0 then load local Static IP, "standalone" piCorePlayer works properly.

Hi Greg,

This is what I made from your information.

1- Update pCP from V-6 to V-6.1.0,
2. Set static IP by entering "beta mode" from pCP main page despite the very impressive warning that shows up when entering "beta mode".

Now pCP boots and LMS starts without the need of a network connection. During start up a message shows that LMS was waiting for a "valid date" that seems not necessary.

My player = (rpi3B+ and Touch screen and pCP-6.1 and USB drive for music storage) behave now just as an old good "CD player" only connected to the mains, very simple to use. Now, pCP fullfill 100% of my need.

I will test more in detail and report back here,

Thanks to Greg and you all !!

Regards,

Joined 2002
Paid Member
hi NVD33,

Great you got it working :)

It probably would have worked OK with pCP 6.0.0, I just decided to use the latest release as a start point.

Yeah, we get a few remarks regarding the [Beta] mode message. It just there to cover us (me) in-case something goes wrong. It historically started when the [Resize FS] command was still in Beta, if it went astray, no more SD card. :eek:

regards

I have installed Picoreplayer + LMS + Jivelite on a Pi3B with Official touchscreen.

I can start the player but it won't connect to LMS at boot.

The boot screen shows Squeezelite starting, network starting, NAS mount failing and then LMS starting.

If, on another PC I access the Picoreplayer setup screens and if I make any adjustment to the Options box in the LMS NAS mount (uid=1001,gid=50,vers=2) then 'Set NET mount' then Squeezelite recognises LMS and the NAS.
This is the only way I can start playing from the NAS.

What I want is the Pi to be powered and the Player to find the network connected NAS automatically.

What have I missed ?

Yes, I have already tried that ( 127.0.0.1) to no avail.. :-( Squeezelite player can't find a server if it is not started)

Currently I am loading Daphile on another pc as the server and have reburnt the Pi's SD-card as player only. Will see how that goes.
Edit...Works perfectly and as expected. :)

Cannot understand why squeezelite player starts before LMS server when both are on the same Pi...?? Not logical.

Last edited:
lol.... Ethernet here not wifi. and, yes, I added some extra connect attempts to the configuration.... although this seems to be a cart<->horse problem. Player starts but Server not found then server starts and player won't connect without a server remount of NAS and a player reboot.

Last edited:
Hi Greg, thanks for the comments. :)

At this point I have abandoned trying to run LMS and Squeezelite player on one RPi and I am using Daphile on an HP620T thin client as the LMS server with an attached OMV NAS on an HP610+ thin client and simply using the Pi and Official Touchscreen as a player.
It worked exactly as per the How-to and without any problems first boot.

This works well and the player starts reliably, finding the server.
Additionally the library scan on the Daphile server takes less than half the time as compared to the Pi. :)

Having spent a day trying to get the Pi as player and server combination working following the sparse documentation and without success I doubt I will spend any further time on it as an option.
However, if I do I will post the logs and diagnostics as requested.

Best,
Bob

A couple of questions though.... On the Squeezelite/Jivelite player screen if I choose quit it simply appears to stop then reboot...
On the home screen top left there is what appears to be a power button...If I select that (expecting Player Power Off) the Screen powers off and never returns (remains blank)...even after reboot or shutdown and re-powering. Have to re-image.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The speed of scanning really does depend on the power of the CPU and speed of the peripheries, no miracles on a RPi. I used an original RPiB for LMS and a scan would take 45mins. On a RPi4B it takes 5 minutes. My library is fairly static so the time it takes to scan is irrelevant to me.

Jivelite is pretty much a derivative of Logitech's Jive/SqueezePlay and really a separate project to piCorePlayer, so the function is defined outside of pCP. Having said that, there is a "piCorePlayer" screen under that "Settings" screen that has a number of pCP specific commands.

I am using the Grid Skin (800x480).

- The [quit] button only quits Jivelite, then restarts Jivelite.

- The power button on the top left corner acts a soft power button, more like a pause button.

I don't experience the weird behaviour you describe. You shouldn't have to re-image. pCP is RAM based, are you saving your settings by doing a backup?

See My changes disappeared

For more in-depth help, I don't delve into Jivelite, see Squeezebox forum

regards