piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite

I am using Fifopi with LVDS transmitter from Ian Canada connected to a Denafrips Pontus R2R dac. When I play 128 DoP picoreplayer is sending it as 352kHZ PCM file. 64 DoP plays fine.

When I connect the DAC via USB it play 128 DoP fine. Starting to think it is something to do with Fifopi . Has anyone managed to get 128 DoP working Fifopi

None of those tweaks will change the audio quality which is probably why nobody will put any effort to re-compile an operating system for a different board. The audio quality is ultimately determined by the DAC and the source material. The RPi platform has quiet good Linux support and this is why PiCore uses the RPi boards.

Any chance of seeing PiCore ported to the BeagleBone Black?

None of those tweaks will change the audio quality which is probably why nobody will put any effort to re-compile an operating system for a different board. The audio quality is ultimately determined by the DAC and the source material. The RPi platform has quiet good Linux support and this is why PiCore uses the RPi boards.

Raspberry Pi has not good I2s output signal for audio. The Master clock in BBB is provided by the on-board 24.576MHz and fixed at this frequency and can be directly accessed from the outside. The Master clock of RPi seems internally generated but un-accessible from the outside.
BEAGLEBONE BLACK for AUDIO | H i F i D U I N O

Odroid2 and Beaglebone Black are better transports for bitperfect audio output, but lack of necessary software hinder to use them :sing:!

blah blah Beaglebone Black blah

5e8.jpg

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have installed PiCorePlayer . I have Google Music subscription, which is valid also for Youtube Music. So far, I was able to get sound by using shairport from my iPhone. I am using Allo Boss DAC. It is perfectly silent, when playing nothing, but there is noise when playing through Shairport. Is there anything I can do about it? Ideally, I would like to stream as with Chromecast - is that possible?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I was able to install the Spotify plugin and with the trial month, I will be able to test sound quality today. Tidal plugin is there, so I will most proably try that as well, however it does not seem to show up in the LMS. There is a google music plugin for LMS, but since i cannot use the apt-get on piCore, I am not able to install anything.

By the way, do I need to backup settings when I change LMS settings? It seems to me that without a proper restart or shutdown, the changes are lost.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Why do you think that none of those tweaks will change the audio quality :judge:?

Courtesy of Soundcheck, posted on another forum:

Look folks.

Forget this Dynobot "sound-adjustments" stuff. What he suggest has nothing to do with "sound" in the first place.
He's just using it as a hook.

Let's have a look what he offers:

* Improving the priority of the Audio threads
* Change audio thread scheduling from 'other' to FIFO
* Improving the latency of the Operating System with Kernel adjustments
* Change Squeezelite priority and thread scheduling to FIFO
1. He is not improving anything. He is changing a process priority. And the actual relevant audio output thread he's not even touching.
He obviously doesn't understand the difference between process and thread.
2. The key - audio relevant - thread - the output thread - runs elevated (realtime) and fifo anyhow, but only if preemption is enabled
in the kernel already. You'd basically need to run a realtime kernel.
3. The output thread priority you set within the squeezelite setting mask. No need for a tool.
4. And then he wildly changes 4 interrupt priorities and some useless parameters and calls it "kernel adjustments".
To see real latency effects you'd need to tune the entire process and interrupt chain.

And best of all. To lift """his""" outstanding findings on a higher level, he's providing these great tools for the entire "Debian" and "TinyCore"
world.

Great done Dynobot. Changing an alias won't change a mans attitude. (Which is well known for about a decade)

Why do you think that none of those tweaks will change the audio quality :judge:?

Playing audio through a SBC like a RPi or a Beagle Bone using a DAC doesn't require a lot of CPU processing power so the CPU usage sits around single digit percentage of total CPU processing availability. If the CPU is not doing very much and has plenty of reserve capacity then what is using a realtime kernel or prioritising threads and processes going to achieve ?

The same goes for latency, piCore is probably buffering audio in RAM to allow for any latency during playback to prevent audio dropouts.

Linux is a multitasking OS and is perfectly suited to run piCore, no amount of fiddling with the kernel config will change the audio quality.

The same goes for latency, piCore is probably buffering audio in RAM to allow for any latency during playback to prevent audio dropouts.

Exactly, like every standard computer device the audio controller as well as USB controller in RPi SoC are using DMA for transfer to the end device. CPU copies audio samples in batches to RAM. Reading from there to audio/USB controller is independent of software, only IRQs are thrown when the DMA reading pointer hits the pre-configured RAM address (something like "Note, I have already reached this, overwrite the RAM buffer section I have already read up to here with new data while I will be reading the rest of the buffer").

New PiCore OS for Beaglebone Black

Courtesy of Soundcheck, posted on another forum:
Look folks.
Forget this Dynobot "sound-adjustments" stuff. What he suggest has nothing to do with "sound" in the first place.
He's just using it as a hook.

Thank you for your explanation :cheers:!
PiCore is the best OS for audio tasks, unfortunately nobody seems to port its new release on Beaglebone Black yet!

Last edited: