My Home and Remote Linux Based System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just thaught I would share what my system is and see if any more experienced Linux audio people have any comments or suggestions.
1. Main desktop running LinuxMint, set up as an SSH server and Subsonic server.Static IP set and I had to open up a port on the router I believe. Audio is stored on this machine as FLAC and MP3. I use Banshee for a player.
2. Other Linux machines in the house mount the media drives on the main machine through SSH and then use Banshee to play the files. The Banshee media libraries on these machines stay populated even if the remote drives are not mounted (of course the files won't play unless the drives are mounted.)
3. Cell phones and tablets acess and play music off the main desktop also , but as a Subsonic server. The portable devices run Ultrasonic which is a free Subsonic client. So I can acces my music anywhere and the only cost is for Subsonic which is $10 or $12 a year.

All in all I am happy with this system but because I am not really a computer guy, (just someone with reasonable intelligence and a love of music) I feel it could be better. Do I need Subsonic since I have allready setup the SSH server?
Hopefully this will help someone set up a similar system and any Linux Audio Gurus feel free to chime in.
Rob

2 things, first I have never found a Linux program that I liked better than WinAmp, Banshee is the best I have found and I've tried a dozen of them.
2nd, it seems to me that running the main desktop as both an SSH and Subsonic server is redundant, I just don't know an elegant Android app that will play my files over SSH. That is why I set up the Subsonic server with the Ultrasonic app
Mainly though I was just hoping some people would share their system setups so I could compare and get some ideas, mine does work really well, I can file share across my home network and get music from any where with a wi-fi connection.

My system is pretty different from yours, my requirements are not yours. I have just replaced my old PentiumIII laptop because the wired network died, and it only had USB1 ports for wifi. My AMD box is running Ubuntu Linux 14.04, MPD, Ecasound and SOX. I use it for crossover between my main speakers and subs, plus a non-crossed over version for whole house sound. Both my wife and I work from home, so we have no need to stream outside, but our NAS system (Western Digital MyBook) can do that themselves, independent of our main system.

All in all I am happy with this system but because I am not really a computer guy, (just someone with reasonable intelligence and a love of music) I feel it could be better. Do I need Subsonic since I have allready setup the SSH server?
Hopefully this will help someone set up a similar system and any Linux Audio Gurus feel free to chime in.
Rob

You don't necessarily need Subsonic for playback on your main desktop, or the other Linux computers. You can simply mount the remote directories and playback locally with Banshee, etc. (I prefer VLC personally, though never tried Banshee for more than a few minutes).

It does sound like you need Subsonic to play on your Android phones/tablets, etc.

If it works, I wouldn't be in any rush to change anything. FWIW I'm a Linux Engineer by trade.

My setup is similar to yours, a NAS media-server(i7, LSI controller, 5x 2TB SATA drives, 2x SSD's for OS) running FreeNAS(FreeBSD based). I use Plex for movies mostly, stream music via Plex sometimes as well. Stream to various devices, Mac Mini, Raspberry Pi, MacBook Pro, etc. The FreeNAS server has SMBD(CIFS) running, so I can mount the music directory and play tunes w/ VLC locally on whichever machine. It works well, is easy to setup and maintain.

Plex is non-free, but seems like maybe it's ~$20.00/yr. I don't remember, but it is slick and works really well. Our Roku's have a Plex client app, so that makes movie and music streaming easy as well, for my gf, kids, etc.

Always happy to see more Linux users. :D

+1 for plex, love what those guys are doing! I have plex running on a headless linux server. Plex have a new music library feature too, I just wish I could run a headless version of the plex player (PHT) on my plex server so that i could cast music across to it from androids. I currently have mpd on the same server as plex, i use digital out to my dac in my main system. I then use cantata to control music from my laptop

S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.