Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Tim,

So after a bit of digging it looks like I had a broken build. After checking (now I understand to look for it!) I can see the build is incomplete and stops at Step 13, Component 1.

** Install MiniDLNA package
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
** Error: install failed
** Error: image build exited
** Error: reboot to resume the build
** Tue 13 Feb 22:37:50 UTC 2018

It tries and fails a further two times then there are no more entries. I'll try again tonight and see whether it stops at the same place. I can see the complete log in my Pi3 build so can see there is a lot missing. I assume a PI3 build is not compatible with a PI0W?

Build spec is: Moode 4 automated build, Pi0w, Stretch Lite 2017-11-29

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

Yes, its same image regardless of what Pi its built on so definitely do the build on your Pi-3 and use Ethernet if possible.

For a completely new moOde release I'll make one master build on a Pi-3, backup the image then write it to SDCard's and use moodecfg.txt auto-configuration file to automatically perform the name changes at startup for my other Pi's.

-Tim

Tim,

Thanks for that. I'll clone my Pi3 install then and rename. The PI3 has been running n problem for over a week now. Because I am stubborn I will probably try another Pi0 build just to check if it bombs at the same point and will let you know.

I was worried PI3 was running 64bit, not 32 etc.

Frank

Hi @idir,

DoP wraps native DSD bitstream in PCM packets and sends the packets at 176.4K rate for DSD64. 352.8K rate for DSD128, etc.

Your DAC, if it supports DoP protocol, will unwrap the PCM packets into native DSD bitstream internally and then indicate "DSD" rather than "PCM". If you send DoP to a DAC that does not support it then typically you will just get hiss.

The other DSD mode is "native DSD" where the bitstream is sent in its original format to the DAC. MPD article describes under what conditions native DSD will work.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD)

-Tim

Tim,

Thanks for that. I'll clone my Pi3 install then and rename. The PI3 has been running n problem for over a week now. Because I am stubborn I will probably try another Pi0 build just to check if it bombs at the same point and will let you know.

I was worried PI3 was running 64bit, not 32 etc.

Frank

@Diychip

Just to be sure---the moodecfg.txt trick works only on the first boot of a built image. If you've already been running the image on your RPi3B then you'll have to work through the UI config screens.

As for your dpkg error, it means roughly it "died a horrible death" (quote from a not-very-informative ancient developer-thread I found).

Could be a out-of-memory problem although I reported here some 10 days ago about my test on an RPi0W showing it has enough memory to build everything except the optional gmusicapi component. (Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi)

Could be a networking issue. As Tim said, use wired Ethernet if at all possible while building, whether on an RPi0W or an RPi3B.

Assuming you could get to the command line, were you able to follow dpkg's recommendation: "you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem"?

Regards,
Kent

PS - I know stubbornness when I see it; the only thing more stubborn than me is our cat.

Hi Tim,
Thanks for all your hard work with the project. I did try searching but no luck. A question if I may? I have a Pi3 with MoOde 4 running, linked to a NAS music source and I can see the library as expected. I have ordered a HAT DAC to output to a Musical Fidelity amp. In the meanwhile can MoOde be configured to use the onboard output of the Pi3 until the DAC arrives?

thanks
Gary

Hi Tim,
Thanks for all your hard work with the project. I did try searching but no luck. A question if I may? I have a Pi3 with MoOde 4 running, linked to a NAS music source and I can see the library as expected. I have ordered a HAT DAC to output to a Musical Fidelity amp. In the meanwhile can MoOde be configured to use the onboard output of the Pi3 until the DAC arrives?

thanks
Gary

Hi Gary,

Open MPD config and set Audio output = On-board audio device then APPLY.

-Tim

Hi, all. I am new here and wanted to try out Moode to see the state of development and try it out. I have followed the instructions and was quite frustrated as I have tried about 4 times to get this installed and am still stuck. I am using the raspbian install and it is clean. It gets this rar and quits:
Code:
pi@moode:~ $ mosbrief
// STEP 2 - Direct build so no need to expand Root partition
// STEP 3A - Install core packages
// STEP 3B - Install core packages
Binary file (standard input) matches

What do I need to do to keep it running the installation script?

I tried a number of times last night and it got so far and just quit. (It took me a while to figure out that the installation moode install script changed my password so I could see what was going on).

Hi,

Assuming quality SDCard and Power Supply, true system crash is rare in my experience troubleshooting moOde but I've seen external network issues mask as system crash. It some cases it can happen with dual-band Router where client is on 5G band, Pi is on 2.4G band or Ethernet and Router fails to internally route traffic between 5G and 2.4G/Ethernet.

From the client perspective it appears as if the Pi has crashed because neither UI nor SSH can be accessed. My own dual band Router occasionally has this issue. The fix that usually works is to simply switch my client MacAir to 2.4G band, connect to Pi then switch back to 5G. Last resort is reboot Router and client.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

I only use a wired connection and disabled wireless. I'm back now on 3.7 and no more freezes. Something (I suppose a lot) must have changed in raspbian/moode (kernel,drivers,settings, etc) after 3.7 that creates these freezes, maybe in combination with my DAC.
For now I stay on 3.7 and will give it another try when a new version of raspbian/moode is released,
Thanks of a lot for your support.

Regards.

Hi Tim,

thanks
Gary

found it.
Thanks Tim

Hi,

Just a heads up that latest MPD 0.20.17 which is being planned for inclusion in moOde 4.1 update appears to have a regression in the "find modified-since" command which will cause the Library loader to return zero results :-0

Just need to get a repro to confirm the bug.

Good news is that there is a different command that can be used for the Library loader that works fine and appears to be significantly faster :) A bit more testing needed tho.

-Tim

Hi Tim, not sure if you've seen but this is fixed already: SongFilter: fix "modified-since" filter * MusicPlayerDaemon/MPD@5147654 * GitHub

tests fine on latest git for me.

Actually, I think it is dead... Don't know how to recover from this.

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ moslast
//
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

** Install core packages
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. 
** Error: Install failed
** Thu 15 Feb 02:14:05 UTC 2018

//
// STEP 3B - Install core packages
//

** Install core packages
** Error: Install failed
** Error: should never arrive at case = *

@keithg
Possibly not waiting long enough...;) Iirc that is a standard mosbrief output .. no errors reported so the build still happening

Here is a short howto....
Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Depending on your Pi version it may take 2 or more hours to complete.

Be patient and if you need more info then try
Code:
moslog

SSH password

I've built the image, plugged in the SD card and the pi did a bunch of stuff monitored by serial, then rebooted. then the serial output stopped. The pi is still working as I can ssh to it. BUT... can't login.

Does the moode script do something to the user/password for ssh?

I've tried the default pi + raspberry... doesnae work?

any ideas?