Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

1.Exploring the wireless world is fantastic. If fees are involved that would nix that suggestion. Artwork seems to be there on my ipad.

2.Regarding Audirvana Plus - I can't speak intelligently about UPnP. Never knowingly used one in my life. All I can say is that somehow Audirvana Plus knows how to connect to Volumio. I can assure you it had NOTHING to do with any action on my part. It was like majic, it just happened. For if I had tried surely would have ended in disaster. If it is already built into MoOde beta 11 that is great. Will try to figure out how to get MoOde and with Audirvana Plus to play nice.

Tim

The folks on this forum have been really patient

Last version of Audirvana works perfectly with Moode as UPnP renderer.
and the sound is much better than Airplay.

@onionhead

1. I love exploring radio stations. I first came to moOde because it not only streamed stations but displayed station logos. I stayed for the quality of the output!

Adding a radio search feature in moOde seems doable with some moderate changes internally. Among other things, it requires an API to a third-party information server. Volumio appears to use Dirable (dirable.com) which charges a fee for their developer API-key according to their website. The RadioDroid app I have on my phone uses Radio-Browser (Community Radio Station Board) which has been mentioned on this list before. To quote from the maintainer, "This webservice can be used freely but without guarantee to work. I am keeping it online since more than 2 years now. But downtimes are possible and i am not always home to fix it :)" Who knows what its life expectancy is.

Neither server directly provides links to station logos so no nice artwork for the moOde Playback panel.

2. Isn't Audirvana Plus just using UPnP? moOde already has the ability to be a UPnP Renderer.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Most of the radio directory services including Community Radio Browser provide links to station logos of one sort or another. The images are of varying quality and some percentage of stations in these directories have no logo image link.

-Tim

Last version of Audirvana works perfectly with Moode as UPnP renderer.
and the sound is much better than Airplay.

Even if you stream the audio using airplay? Surely not?

I think you’re confusing source with transport. In theory, upnp, DNLA and airport should allow a source to link to a destination without affecting the content in any way.

If you have evidence that’s not the case, I’m sure Apple would be very interested to talk to you.

‘Much better’ is subjective. Audirvana changes the music, to me that’s not ‘much better’ or even ‘a bit better’. Besides, they change it inside the Apple computer environment, not on any attached external device.

Try playing the same track via upnp as directly attached via USB and you’ll get the idea

Last edited:
Mood3 3.8 unusably sluggish on pi zero

I don't know if this is me, my card, or Moode 3.8, but it is unusable on a pi zero w with a justboom digi amp zero.

A completely fresh install will connect to the network correctly but that's about all it will do.

• Takes three or four tries to accept the Justboom amp zero as its I2S card and even then won't output any sound.
  • does not update the playback screen with radio stations added from the browse screen to the playlist
  • does not respond to pressing the play button on the playback screen
As I say, this is a completely fresh install (on an old sd card) and all I have done is to configure the network to run on an ethernet connection and to tell it which amp is plugged in. But it's just dreadful.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Hi Tim I'm using Songcast stream to windows sound and sc2mpd alsa playback is very low latency please add to moode audio sc2mpd alsaplayback mod. ım now using beta 11 and setup sc2mpd but seting alsaplayback conf no sound moode because permission of upmpdcli to root but ı dont now how do it ım beginner linux user.

FYI.

squeezelite offers a setting that releases the output after a configurable time interval.

Hi Klaus,

Yes it works except there are couple of issues that make it difficult for Squeezelite to coexist nicely with MPD like shairport-sync does. The two main issues are:

1) It does not provide event hooks that would allow moOde to restore its own (MPD) volume setting after squeezelight releases the audio output.
2) It resets ALSA (hardware) volume to 0 when Playback stops.

For example lets say your DAC has a hardware (ALSA) volume controller named "Master" and Squeezelite is configured with the settings: -V Master -C 3

CASE 1: MPD configured for Software volume.

In this case moOde sets ALSA volume to 0dB (100%) but Squeezelite will reset it to 0% after Playback ends thus when user resumes MPD Playback, no sound. User would have to use moOde Audio config to manually reset ALSA volume back to 100%. Not good.

CASE 2: MPD configured for Hardware volume.

In this case ALSA volume is set by moOde/MPD logarithmically and Squeezelite also will use a log curve to set ALSA volume, however it resets it to 0% after Playback ends thus when user resumes MPD Playback, no sound. When user bumps moOde volume knob the correct ALSA volume is reestablished for MPD but the initial "No sound" condition typically generates a support email. Not good.

Shairport-sync also uses Hardware volume if it exists but it provides two event hooks that can be used to run a script or bin (1) before Playback starts and (2) after Playback ends. This makes it easy for moOde to restore its own volume level and even to automatically resume MPD playback :)

-Tim

Hi Tim

I have just created Moode 4 Beta 11 and have the following issues (which I had in previous betas). I have Rpi3 + Piano 2.1 + Kali

I can only hear music if I set Sox resampling to 32/384?
Airplay doesnt wotk. I can see Moode on my devices but no sound then suddenly airplay dissapears?

Cheers for your help
Nick

I don't know if this is me, my card, or Moode 3.8, but it is unusable on a pi zero w with a justboom digi amp zero.

I use a pi zero w with the JustBoom DAC, and have no difficulties running Moode 3.8.4. I wonder if the amp generates more interference than the DAC and interferes with wireless transmission?

Is there a way to test the performance of the wireless link?

Hi Kent,

Most of the radio directory services including Community Radio Browser provide links to station logos of one sort or another. The images are of varying quality and some percentage of stations in these directories have no logo image link.

-Tim

Doh. You're right (of course:D). I went back and looked at Community Radio Browser and now see those tiny icons in the left column are actually scaled down presentations of reasonably sized image files. The files are not uniformly sized and, as you say, varying in quality if they are present at all.

Regards,
Kent

Error building moode 4 beta 11

Building on Raspberry Pi Zero W, after step 8 on reboot the pi didn't connect to Wifi. Seems to pause after "[OK] Started Raise Network Interfaces" and eventually boots and then goes to blank screen (how do I get a local login by the way?)

Stuck back on the wpa_supplicant.conf onto the boot directory and it seems to work so I'd say it was overwritten in step 8

FYI might need to pop that into the recipe

Even if you stream the audio using airplay? Surely not?

I think you’re confusing source with transport. In theory, upnp, DNLA and airport should allow a source to link to a destination without affecting the content in any way.

If you have evidence that’s not the case, I’m sure Apple would be very interested to talk to you.

‘Much better’ is subjective. Audirvana changes the music, to me that’s not ‘much better’ or even ‘a bit better’. Besides, they change it inside the Apple computer environment, not on any attached external device.

Try playing the same track via upnp as directly attached via USB and you’ll get the idea

AirPlay will limit your stream to 16 bits.
Using Audirvana from your Mac over the air to RPi running mode and then out via your DAC of choice enables you to stream 24 bits and maybe even higher. Also give it a try with the integrated Tidal and stream some MQA files. Remote control via the A+ app on iPad, works like a charm.

And believe me it is “much better”

@onionhead
You need to select UPnP in Audirvana somewhere in settings. You of cause must be on 3.1 or something higher. If you cannot get it to work, head over to the Audirvana forum.

I also did not know it could be done. In moode you go to config, audio, renderers and activate upnp renderer. In audirvana 3.1 or later you go to settings, audio system, prefered audio device, change, and in the drop down menu you select moode upnp as you can see in the attached picture. Sound quality is as good as playing directly from moode. When you click play in audirvana, moode will start playing. It shows the artwork in the moode playback tab, and on my oled display it shows the artist and song name.

Remy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 7.04.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 7.04.13 PM.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 309
Building on Raspberry Pi Zero W, after step 8 on reboot the pi didn't connect to Wifi. Seems to pause after "[OK] Started Raise Network Interfaces" and eventually boots and then goes to blank screen (how do I get a local login by the way?)

Stuck back on the wpa_supplicant.conf onto the boot directory and it seems to work so I'd say it was overwritten in step 8

FYI might need to pop that into the recipe

Hi,

Noted.

Manual build recipe for upcoming Beta 12 has been updated. The automated Image Builder preserves wpa_supplicant.conf if one was initially configured :)

-Tim