Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Sorry for the stupidity BUT.
I have and used a MacBook Pro to make SD cards for Moode until now. Keen to examine the beta however.

I have copied the img to a USB disc.

Now looking at STEP 2 I assume there is no way to persuade OSX to do the same stages? i.e. there is no /mnt but there is a /Volumes.
no /dev/sda1 and so forth.

The only Linux I have is that care of Moode. Do I have to wait until someone offers a build like Tim has done until now? Or is there an alternative way?

Thanks folks

Don't Panic! give it a go!

Yesterday I installed Raspbian Stretch Full on a rpi3b with attatched monitor,mouse and keyboard.

I followed the instructions for steps 1 and 2 from the receipt with regard to the usb stick and when I got to here

Code:
Use "sudo fdisk -l -o Device,Start,Type | grep 0p" to print the partition data. Offset = Start * 512.
there was no data posted on the screen.

I knew that a previous OP had informed Tim of the same problem, I found the post and read Tim's reply.

The info that this step is based on the OS that I was using on the rpi encouraged me to just continue with the process without trying Tim's workaround.

The install completed and I then did the image burn and completed the beta7 install.

I did leave out Step 11 and did not install any additional components.

Today I used Gparted on a live usb stick of Mint to check the partitions on the sd card, here are the results;

The card is a Scandisk 16gb

reading from left to right I got

"unallocated"..............4.00 Mib

"/dev/sdc1"...............Size 41.81 Mib............Used 21.48 Mib

"/dev/sdc2"...............Size 2.93 Gib..............Used 1.62 Gib

"unallocated".............11.86 Gib

So, if one has no linux skills, but possess a pi (that's a given) have accesss to a kepboard and monitor and an extra sd card, then it is quite possible, with a little care and diligence to complete the receipt.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Being a "bear of little brain" I just realised that I could have got the info the easy way

Code:
sudo fdisk -l

gives

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 93813 85622 41.8M c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 94208 6238207 6144000 3G 83 Linux

From Tim's receipt

Offset = Start * 512

I don't know if this is important or even matters, perhaps some one can explain.

Every thing seems to work, regardless :)

Ronnie

Sorry for the stupidity BUT.
I have and used a MacBook Pro to make SD cards for Moode until now. Keen to examine the beta however.

I have copied the img to a USB disc.

Now looking at STEP 2 I assume there is no way to persuade OSX to do the same stages? i.e. there is no /mnt but there is a /Volumes.
no /dev/sda1 and so forth.

The only Linux I have is that care of Moode. Do I have to wait until someone offers a build like Tim has done until now? Or is there an alternative way?

Thanks folks
Hi aBrianH,
i have no OSX, but i think you can write the unmodified stretch image to a sd-card like all the moode images you did before. Then pull out the sdcard and plug it in again. There shouls be the FAT boot-partition. Then create an empty file with the name "ssh" on the "FAT" partition. Thats it.
Eject your sdcard from your mac and follow STEP3.2

Disadvantage of this method: After the first boot the root-filesystem will expand to its maimum size, so a backup of your sdcard will eat a lot of time and a lot of memory. And belive me - you want to have a backup after hours of compiling and installing :)
-tonno

I did it basically using tonno's method in the previous post. No keyboard, monitor or mouse attached to the RPi. Used Apple Pi Baker on MacBook to create the Stretch image on SD card, and terminal for the rest. Adding the empty file enables you to initially ssh in to the RPi.

Last edited:

Before you plug it into your Raspberry Pi.
Edit the file: /boot/cmdline.txt
Remove the following text: init=/usr/lib/raspi-config/init_resize.sh

Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       1.7G  1.1G  520M  67% /
devtmpfs        460M     0  460M   0% /dev
tmpfs           464M     0  464M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           464M   18M  446M   4% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           464M     0  464M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1   42M   21M   21M  51% /boot
tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/1000
Just tried it - and it seems to work properly.
We do not need a linux-pc needed for the build process ;)

-tonno

Hi aBrianH,
i have no OSX, but i think you can write the unmodified stretch image to a sd-card like all the moode images you did before. Then pull out the sdcard and plug it in again. There shouls be the FAT boot-partition. Then create an empty file with the name "ssh" on the "FAT" partition. Thats it.

Disadvantage of this method: After the first boot the root-filesystem will expand to its maimum size, so a backup of your sdcard will eat a lot of time and a lot of memory. And belive me - you want to have a backup after hours of compiling and installing :)
-tonno

Thanks for that suggestion tonno, it made the best sense from my position.
However, I tried it twice and after the powerdown on restart of the box - powered on again - the pi was no longer on the network.

It is connected by ethernet BTW. So I reburned the SD card and went through the same process to fail at Step 4.1 just isn't on the network.

Looks like the Step 3 things have not worked as intended.

Checked the SD card in the Mac and the only thing that had changed was config.txt. That now reads

disable_splash=1
hdmi_drive=2
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=audio=on
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

Stumped - it is beyond me sad to say.

@tonno

Snap!, I have just done it on Raspberry stretch-lite on an rpi3b using a 7gb card

Here is the output of "sudo fdisk -l"

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 7.5 GiB, 8010072064 bytes, 15644672 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x11eccc69

/dev/mmcblk0p2 94208 3622247 3528040 1.7G 83 Linux
I'm going to expand the card using sudo raspi-congfig ( I know that there is a simple cmd line for this, but can't find it at the moment).
When the card is expanded and updated I'll start the usb stick trick and see how it goes.
I'll be using Putty on a Windows 10 laptop.

Last edited:
@Man in a van

The root resizing to 3Gbyte happens on Setep 3.5 so no need to do it seperatly.

The steps for me on win10 were:
1. download the stretch-lite-image
2. burn it to the SDcard
3. write the empty "ssh" file on the boot directory
4. edit the cmdline.txt (Remove the following text: init=/usr/lib/raspi-config/init_resize.sh)
5. Follow Step 3.2 in the recipe

@aBrianH
what ip-adress has been assigned to the rpi? how do you know it to login via ssh?
PS: you have pm (i hpoe this helps :) )

-tonno

Thanks for this great (beta) release. The recipe is running without errors.

I thought about a easy way for step1 and step2 for all the "Linux Enthusiasts". Why not start directly with linux?

Code:
#STEP 1

cd~
mkdir moodebuild
cd moodebuild
wget [URL]http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite/images/raspbian_lite-2017-09-08/2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip[/URL]
unzip 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip 

#STEP 2
sudo rm -rf /mnt/tmp*
sudo mkdir /mnt/tmp
sudo mount -v -o offset=4194304 -t vfat ~/moodebuild/2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.img /mnt/tmp
sudo touch /mnt/tmp/ssh
sudo sed -i "s/init=.*//" /mnt/tmp/cmdline.txt
sudo sed -i "s/quiet.*//" /mnt/tmp/cmdline.txt
sudo sed -i "s/^/net.ifnames=0 /" /mnt/tmp/cmdline.txt
sudo umount /mnt/tmp
sudo mount -v -o offset=48234496 -t ext4 ~/moodebuild/2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.img /mnt/tmp
sudo rm /mnt/tmp/etc/init.d/resize2fs_once
sudo umount /mnt/tmp
sudo rm -rf /mnt/tmp
-tonno

Hi,

Thanks. I'll update STEP 1,2 and make it a bit easier. Probably should be an all Linux section per your suggestion and then a Windows/Mac section.

-Tim

Thanks for that suggestion tonno, it made the best sense from my position.
However, I tried it twice and after the powerdown on restart of the box - powered on again - the pi was no longer on the network.

When I did it I think it was STEP3 No.5 that caused loss of connection:"Expand the root partition to 3GB". When I omitted that bit I had success.
Edit: It looks like Tim is about to deal with this. His post appeared while I was writing mine.

Hi Gents,

Recently, a few days ago, I've been getting some (not many) pauses and bumps while listening to music. 1 TB hard drive connected to the Pi3, with an external 5A power supply, so, no issues there (I think). All Flac, 44.1, 16 bit, nothing out of the ordinary.

I increased the buffer to 16K and fill up to 30%, and still, occasionally, the music skips.

Any clue where to look at the logs and see what's going on?

Cheers in advance,

Albert

Hi Albert,

The symptom "Recently, a few days ago, I've been getting some (not many) pauses and bumps while listening to music." suggests something external to moOde software.

The usual suspects include:

- Network issue including RF interference, Router issue, cable, etc
- Malfunctioning power supply
- Malfunctioning USB attached HDD

To troubleshoot, try the following, one at a time

1. Run a moderately long ping test from Pi to Router and examine the ping stats for high number of dropped packets, retries, etc
2. Remove the USB attached HDD, copy a few Albums to a USB stick, insert the USB stick and then run UPDATE MPD DATABASE, Play music from USB stick.
3. Use only Ethernet connection to Router
4. Swap in a different power supply

-Tim

@Tim

a seperate section would make it more easy for the win/mac users.

PS: Everything is working good so far. I tried the bluetooth connenction too, which worked. But after listening over bluetooh i have to disconnent the device from the win10 computer in the bt-settings, because i cannot procceed with the playlist unless disconnected.

PPS: thanks for your great work

Hi,

Typo on my part should be STEP 9 instead of 7 but that section needs tuning up anyway. Basically it was a note to myself that the services would have been already disabled in an earlier step thus the # to comment out the cmds.

The other issue, re: bluealsa.service, you should similar to below. If not then post back and I'll help troubleshoot.

pi@rp3:~ $ ls /etc/systemd/system/bluealsa.service
/etc/systemd/system/bluealsa.service

pi@rp3:~ $ sudo systemctl status bluealsa
● bluealsa.service - BluezAlsa proxy
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/bluealsa.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2017-11-03 21:58:05 EDT; 21h ago
Main PID: 972 (bluealsa)
CGroup: /system.slice/bluealsa.service
└─972 /usr/bin/bluealsa

Nov 03 21:58:05 rp3 systemd[1]: Started BluezAlsa proxy.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

I got normal output from those 2 commands. I guess is it might be bluealsa.servuce doesn't exist when you run that line in the recipe? The bluealsa.service might be created after a reboot or after a certain step in the later process?

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ ls /etc/systemd/system/bluealsa.service 
/etc/systemd/system/bluealsa.service
pi@moode:~ $ sudo systemctl status bluealsa
● bluealsa.service - BluezAlsa proxy
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/bluealsa.service; disabled; vendor preset
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2017-11-04 18:37:25 EDT; 14h ago
 Main PID: 1018 (bluealsa)
   CGroup: /system.slice/bluealsa.service
           └─1018 /usr/bin/bluealsa

Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomple
lines 1-8/8 (END)

Hi Tim.

Don't worry about my previous posts. I re-did the recipe today following recipe 1.2 and now have a working version of Moode 4 Beta7.

Thank you very much for the hard work you have put into Moode. If anything the experience of the past 4 days has shown how much work it must have been maintaining Moode under the previous licensing model. I have to say that it was also a steep learning curve but it really feels good to finally get it working.

As I am typing this I am sitting here enjoying beautiful sweet music on my RPI with Allo Kali and Allo Piano 2.1

Well done and keep up the good work.

Yesterday I installed Raspbian Stretch Full on a rpi3b with attatched monitor,mouse and keyboard.

I followed the instructions for steps 1 and 2 from the receipt with regard to the usb stick and when I got to here

Code:
Use "sudo fdisk -l -o Device,Start,Type | grep 0p" to print the partition data. Offset = Start * 512.
there was no data posted on the screen.

I knew that a previous OP had informed Tim of the same problem, I found the post and read Tim's reply.

The info that this step is based on the OS that I was using on the rpi encouraged me to just continue with the process without trying Tim's workaround.

The install completed and I then did the image burn and completed the beta7 install.

I did leave out Step 11 and did not install any additional components.

Today I used Gparted on a live usb stick of Mint to check the partitions on the sd card, here are the results;

The card is a Scandisk 16gb

reading from left to right I got

"unallocated"..............4.00 Mib

"/dev/sdc1"...............Size 41.81 Mib............Used 21.48 Mib

"/dev/sdc2"...............Size 2.93 Gib..............Used 1.62 Gib

"unallocated".............11.86 Gib

So, if one has no linux skills, but possess a pi (that's a given) have accesss to a kepboard and monitor and an extra sd card, then it is quite possible, with a little care and diligence to complete the receipt.

Hope this helps.

Hi aBrianH,

-tonno

Before you plug it into your Raspberry Pi.
Edit the file: /boot/cmdline.txt
Remove the following text: init=/usr/lib/raspi-config/init_resize.sh

Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       1.7G  1.1G  520M  67% /
devtmpfs        460M     0  460M   0% /dev
tmpfs           464M     0  464M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           464M   18M  446M   4% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           464M     0  464M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1   42M   21M   21M  51% /boot
tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/1000
Just tried it - and it seems to work properly.
We do not need a linux-pc needed for the build process ;)

-tonno

@Man in a van

2. burn it to the SDcard
4. edit the cmdline.txt (Remove the following text: init=/usr/lib/raspi-config/init_resize.sh)

@aBrianH
what ip-adress has been assigned to the rpi? how do you know it to login via ssh?
PS: you have pm (i hpoe this helps :) )

-tonno

Hi fellas,

Great suggestions. Will incorporate ASAP. Basically first two steps can be split into Linux section and Windows/Mac section.

Also, @TheOldPresbyope provided the following simplified method for Linux using losetup. It does not require calculating the offsets :) See below.

-Tim

Code:
# Download Stretch Lite
wget [url]http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite/images/raspbian_lite-2017-09-08/2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip[/url]
sudo unzip ./2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip 
sudo rm 2017-09-08/2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip

# Mount the boot and root partitions
LOOPDEV=$(sudo losetup -f)
sudo losetup -P $LOOPDEV 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.img
sudo mkdir /mnt/p1
sudo mkdir /mnt/p2
sudo mount -t vfat "$LOOPDEV"p1 /mnt/p1
sudo mount -t ext4 "$LOOPDEV"p2 /mnt/p2

#
# do stuff here
#

# Cleanup
sudo losetup -D
sudo umount /mnt/p1
sudo umount /mnt/p2
sudo rmdir /mnt/p1
sudo rmdir /mnt/p2

@Man in a van

2. burn it to the SDcard
-tonno

I'm with you there tonno, I was referring to the Stretch-Lite I was using as the base OS to see if I could configre the USB as per the receipt instructions.

It does work as I will post next, but is a bit of a "curate's egg".

Ronnie

Last edited:
Maybe a bit reduntant now, but...

Well it is possible to just use the stretch-lite OS to configure the USB stick.

The full version auto-mounts the usb but not apparently, the lite

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 1 14.6G 0 disk
└─sda1 8:1 1 14.6G 0 part
mmcblk0 179:0 0 7.5G 0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 41.8M 0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2 0 7.4G 0 part /

and after mounting

/dev/sda1 63 30497663 30497601 14.6G c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 1 14.6G 0 disk
└─sda1 8:1 1 14.6G 0 part /mnt
mmcblk0 179:0 0 7.5G 0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 41.8M 0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2 0 7.4G 0 part /

The only difficulty I have found is with the command

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo fdisk -l -o Device,Start,Type | grep 0p
/dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 94208 Linux

The suggested workaround gives

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo losetup -f
/dev/loop0
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo losetup -P /dev/loop0 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.i mg
losetup: 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.img: failed to set up loop device: No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls /dev/loop0p1 and /dev/loop0p2
ls: cannot access '/dev/loop0p1': No such file or directory
ls: cannot access 'and': No such file or directory
ls: cannot access '/dev/loop0p2': No such file or directory

I just ignored this and carried on, not all the way, just enough to check that the sd card had expanded correctly

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 14.9 GiB, 15931539456 bytes, 31116288 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x11eccc69

/dev/mmcblk0p2 94208 6238207 6144000 3G 83 Linux

I hope this is useful information for others.

atb

ronnie