Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

The ‘web interface’ used in this U$4094 (and that’s the starting price) is..... your brainchild, Tim. Trust you’ve licensed it....:)

The DAC used is the U$170 Soekris DAM1021. Surely people don’t pay that kind of coin for DIY hifi?!

acuhorn R2R hi-tech streamer

Arrgh, my eyes bleed !
Don't worry Tim, no one is going to spend more than 10 seconds at that website before bailing with the mother of all migraines...

Last edited:
Which is why my electronics are potted - to open it up and find out what chips, etc. I’m using destroys the device. If you have the ability to core-dump the processor and reverse-engineer code from that, good on you. The effort is greater than it would be to write the stuff in the first place.

I was working with a local designer today who casually asked what my components cost. He was surprised that the custom lamp he was buying from me only has about $40 in parts. I told him he was welcome to make his own... I wouldn’t cause a fuss.

When his installation tech was brought in, he said it would probably take three or four months to work out what I had done... they all agreed to just pay me for the lamp :)

Eventually I would like to make a custom wall-mounted art/audio installation using Moode. Something shiny with wood, acrylic, leds and the like. Wireless speakers would be obligatory. It would be awesome if I could have the gall to sell it for $4k... I think a 10% royalty to the software designer would be appropriate, don’t you?

Actually touting that he’s used Moode for free and an $170 Soekris DAC, then pricing it at $4K shows a lot of bottle... more than I’ve got.

So for those of us using the DAC+Pro, we will need to ask Hifiberry to patch their driver...

Yep, that would be the way forward. The codec and the driver needs to be
patched. These are minor patches. I've done both. Only the codec patch got released so far though.
As I said. Hifiberry wasn't capable of reliably go >192k for all their models from what's been communicated over here in the past.
384k support rather sneaked in by coincidence!
Not sure, if they're willing to take the risk by introducing these patches! They might face numerous complaints.

Good luck with HifiBerry. ;)

However.

If you seriously intend to listen to DSD/DOP material at quality levels,
I'm not really sure if these entry-level HifiBerry devices are the right choice!

Off-topic-hint:

All of you folks running these TP PCM51xx family DACs with 384k
support, might try resampling to 352k8 or 384k.
At these rates all the internal DAC filters get bypassed.

Enjoy.

Which is why my electronics are potted - to open it up and find out what chips, etc. I’m using destroys the device. If you have the ability to core-dump the processor and reverse-engineer code from that, good on you. The effort is greater than it would be to write the stuff in the first place.

I was working with a local designer today who casually asked what my components cost. He was surprised that the custom lamp he was buying from me only has about $40 in parts. I told him he was welcome to make his own... I wouldn’t cause a fuss.

When his installation tech was brought in, he said it would probably take three or four months to work out what I had done... they all agreed to just pay me for the lamp :)

Eventually I would like to make a custom wall-mounted art/audio installation using Moode. Something shiny with wood, acrylic, leds and the like. Wireless speakers would be obligatory. It would be awesome if I could have the gall to sell it for $4k... I think a 10% royalty to the software designer would be appropriate, don’t you?

Actually touting that he’s used Moode for free and an $170 Soekris DAC, then pricing it at $4K shows a lot of bottle... more than I’ve got.

The interesting thing about licensing is that there is no guarantee that a license would even be granted, for any amount of money.

-Tim

Hi,

Some screen shots of the EQ's coming in moOde 4.0. Both support Curve add/edit/remove and a nice Curve Play feature for easily testing (listening to) the curves :)

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r40b6-eq1.png
    moode-r40b6-eq1.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 313
  • moode-r40b6-eq2.png
    moode-r40b6-eq2.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 301
  • moode-r40b6-eq3.png
    moode-r40b6-eq3.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 307
playlists?

Hi,

Some screen shots of the EQ's coming in moOde 4.0. Both support Curve add/edit/remove and a nice Curve Play feature for easily testing (listening to) the curves :)

-Tim

Super sweet! Just got my MoodeAudio 3.8 and working great. The upcoming parametric EQ sold me

BTW - I'm new to the player - is there one playlist (ie called default playlist)? Or can I (how) create another? Can't seem to add playlists, just modify the current one?

The interesting thing about licensing is that there is no guarantee that a license would even be granted, for any amount of money.

-Tim

I read the agreement, I wouldn’t sell anything without speaking to you first. Heck, I won’t even burn a copy for my friends, I tell them to pay the ten bucks. I do, however, hold many previous versions for those that want to try. Usually a pre 3.0 release. I look at 3.0+ as the point where usability reached a point where the freeloaders can pay you for your time.

License Agreement

(1) Moode Audio Player consists of free software and certain proprietary parts that are listed in (2) below. You can redistribute the free software and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation either version 3, or (at your option) any later version. The following online resource contains information about the GNU General Public License: Licenses - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

(2) The proprietary parts of Moode Audio Player consist of (a) the data contained in the SQL tables residing in the file moode-sqlite3.db, (b) the rotary encoder driver (rotenc), (c) logos, images and other properties with Moode trade or service marks. These parts are proprietary to Moode Audio and may not be redistributed, sold or used for commercial purposes without the express permission of Moode Audio. Contact tim@moodeaudio.org for more information.

Product Keys

Product Keys are used to unlock the zip file containing the Moode Audio Player disk image and are for the private use of the purchaser and must not be made publicly available or shared.

Warranty Information

Moode Audio Player comes WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Sorry quick question. Is the Moode license for 1 physical device, per person or ?

ps. I have 2 RPI3 devices hence the questions.

Thx again.

I guess it’s wherever your conscience takes you...

How much improved is your Pi3 by the addition of $10 worth of software? Or, how much use do you get out of your Pi without Moode?

I’ve got about 10 Pi, only a couple are used for audio. More of them are used driving CNC machines, laser cutters, 3D printers and the like. Very few of them run ‘raw’ Raspbian. Most use the hard work of others to achieve their tasks.

Tim,
can you add AFN to the Radio list?
There are several channels by the bases.
can access from the browser or mobile app (e.g., American Forces Network Pacific)
i am not too sure the access protocol but hopefully you can know.

note that i never intend to promote any of military stuff, just having fun from them.

/Hiroyuki

You can manually add your favourite stations. A quick search on here will show you how.

I guess it’s wherever your conscience takes you...

How much improved is your Pi3 by the addition of $10 worth of software? Or, how much use do you get out of your Pi without Moode?

I’ve got about 10 Pi, only a couple are used for audio. More of them are used driving CNC machines, laser cutters, 3D printers and the like. Very few of them run ‘raw’ Raspbian. Most use the hard work of others to achieve their tasks.

I only have 2. 1 in my home office and 1 in the bed room.

I read the agreement, I wouldn’t sell anything without speaking to you first. Heck, I won’t even burn a copy for my friends, I tell them to pay the ten bucks. I do, however, hold many previous versions for those that want to try. Usually a pre 3.0 release. I look at 3.0+ as the point where usability reached a point where the freeloaders can pay you for your time.

Hi Mike,

My response was just a generic example of one aspect of Licensing. First and foremost both parties need to come to an agreement and there is no guarantee that will happen. For example the Licensor may for any reason not grant the license requestor permission, or the requestor may not want to agree to the terms. Generally. agreements that are mutually beneficial will happen :)

There is also the scenario where the other party chooses to violate the License, usually to avoid terms that require paying the License holder a fee.

There is nothing new about moOde licensing. Its a license model thats as old as the hills. The proprietary parts of moOde are subject to the Moode License terms. The Open Source parts are covered by the GPL.

-Tim