Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

For some time I tried to have the random play function among other problems with low or no wifi reception. After changing to a new SD card the wifi is much better.
Now I would love to tackle the Random Play:

ANYbody with a setup like me: PiZero with hifiBerry DacPlus zero 1.0.1? has this function without problems?
thx
LG

A quick question. If I am using my pi strictly as a DLNA renderer, does the program running on it affect the sound? My pi will be coming next week and I'm researching how I want to set it up. I plan on using JRiver Media Center to stream to the pi and then connect it to my Oppo HA-2SE. I've seen several opinions that Moode is the best sounding program for the pi but does that hold true just for DLNA rendering? Thanks.

As Zoot says further down UPMPDCLI is just a front end or comms broker for your control point to submit songs, playlists and radio streams to MPD so there should be negligible perfomance hit. UPMPDCLI does not process the audio merely populates the MPD queue with the urls of your songs such that MPD can play by them submitting by HTTP requests to your UPNP server.

For me the UPNP control point is a better interface on my phone than web front ends and my UPNP server is a much nicer and more flexible music database management service than MPD. The use of a media server over MPD access to a share does not bother me too much.

I disagree with Zoot a little in that I prefer to use Moode because its still useful to benefit from all of Tim's customisation/optimisation work rather than trying to roll my own install, I just turn off all the other services.

You are recommending an Australian-specific semi-commercial forum with a few hundred active members over what is possibly the most widely-read home audio forum on the planet with over four hundred thousand international members and you think it will drive more business?

Current stats: Threads: 297,787, Posts: 5,115,508, Members: 404,462, Active Members: 23,201

There are more posts in this single thread than in the entire computer/software sub-board of SNA.

Perhaps you would be better off pointing your small-forum members over here?
An oak tree starts with an acorn.

Hi guys / Tim

First of all – this is an amazing community.
I started my audiophile raspberry-pi adventure half a year ago, and have tried both Volumio and Moodeaudio. Both are excellent – pros and cons
I started with my DAC connected via USB to my rpi3, and upgraded with the DigiOne from Allo as soon as it was released – sound quality is superb, outperforms everything else I’ve heard so far.

Kids mostly use it with airplay (I know quality is not the best, but it’s easier).

Regards

Could you be more specific about pros and cons Volumio versus Moode?
Maybe something for Moode version 4 to get even better??
And what about the lesser quality with Airplay? (restrictions with bitrate you mean?)

upmpdcli is the dlna front end for MPD, which is the main audio engine in moode, and most other Linux audio solutions.

But, why not share your files over your network and cut out two complete interfaces and play the music directly?

In your implementation you will be going from source>JRiver>upmpdcli>MPD, where you could be going from source>MPD and taking advantage of all the wonderful tweaks Tim has designed.

If you just want dlna, there are simple Pi configurations that will perform that for you without all the overhead of libraries, airplay, etc.

Thank you, I was thinking that I could use a much simpler set up. I like using JRiver because Jremote on the iPhone and iPad are great. Maybe one day I'll have a setup that allows me to connect my computer directly to my DAC but until then I'll stream from JRiver to my system in the other room.

Thanks for the info!

Hi, Tim,

I am experiencing a weird problem, I just updated to the latest version of Moode and since my DAC doesn't support DSD I'm using the DSD to PCM conversion. Whenever I play a DSD file it sounds like it's sped up, like a 33 record on the 45 setting. I've tried several DSD files, all DSD64 and they all do the same thing, it never did this with 3.6. I am using the advanced real-time kernel. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Hi,

To troubleshoot, start by installing the Standard Linux kernel and then re-testing.

What DAC are u using?

-Tim

I just reinstalled the standard kernel making sure all the settings are at default and it still has the problem. I'm using a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro.

Testing beta with pi3-dac+pro and pi3-digi+ pro-i2s-Buffalo Dac. Actually it is difficult to test, because the sound quality is so good, that i just want listen to the music. Native DSD seems to work, changing diffs. kernel worked, changing different music sources worked.
I have a really good hifi system and IMHO Moode is the best sounding pi player now :), not yet shure if LL or RT kernel sounds better.

My test streamers with multiple power supplies :

Attachments

• 20170907_183503.jpg
    20170907_183503.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 284
lol, you should see my monthly AWS CloudFront bill :-0

I was wondering about that - I'm still using AWS, but I'm sure there must be another, cheaper option. Now I'm a thing of leisure, I'll do some digging.

The AWS consultants at Amazon may be able to come up with a better combo?

My Cali server is doing nothing and I have a couple of T of traffic a month going begging, if it would help for the betas. I can set up a cloud-type service for you, if it would help.

I was wondering about that - I'm still using AWS, but I'm sure there must be another, cheaper option. Now I'm a thing of leisure, I'll do some digging.

The AWS consultants at Amazon may be able to come up with a better combo?

My Cali server is doing nothing and I have a couple of T of traffic a month going begging, if it would help for the betas. I can set up a cloud-type service for you, if it would help.

+1

I used AWS for a while 5 years ago when I was supporting an open-source project and I got tired of watching the $-meter spinning. I ended up running a build farm in my basement and paying a fast ISP for the duration. Sadly, I've moved and can't do it now 'cuz I no longer have good upload speed. Don't know what the best deal in town is these days.

If I understand the extent of the moOde beta-testing program, then it would seem 10 GB storage (that's six successive beta zip files) and a few 100GB total transfer would suffice.

Welcome to the world of leisure, Mike. I doubt you'll have trouble finding ways to fill your days.

Regards,
Kent

Hmmmm..., Mike, I can't tell if you're morphing into a deckchair or a bucket and spade for making sandcastles.....:)

Must be the heat in Borneo....."Mad dogs and Englishmen....etc etc" ?

or ...Does this mean you're back to the Shaky Isles ? :eek::D

No, caught the plane out last Sunday. Did I leave the light on? :)

30C with humidity up the pole... beats 30 knots and 5C in my book.

Not going to be leisurely for long - but all my leccy tools and components are en route.

+1

I used AWS for a while 5 years ago when I was supporting an open-source project and I got tired of watching the $-meter spinning. I ended up running a build farm in my basement and paying a fast ISP for the duration. Sadly, I've moved and can't do it now 'cuz I no longer have good upload speed. Don't know what the best deal in town is these days.

If I understand the extent of the moOde beta-testing program, then it would seem 10 GB storage (that's six successive beta zip files) and a few 100GB total transfer would suffice.

Welcome to the world of leisure, Mike. I doubt you'll have trouble finding ways to fill your days.

Regards,
Kent

Cheers Kent. My wife agrees - not too much leisure in the offing. :)

She's a martinet when it looks like I might be slacking.

No, caught the plane out last Sunday. Did I leave the light on? :)

30C with humidity up the pole... beats 30 knots and 5C in my book.

Not going to be leisurely for long - but all my leccy tools and components are en route.

Now I'm completely confused...:confused:
Reading between the lines would I be right in thinking you've permanently retired from the daily grind and from our shores to more pleasant climes... Borne off to Borneo ? Sold the Alfa, abandoned the tussocks of Horo and Kiwis...?