Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Well, I've just updated to 3.8.2 and using Kali/Piano 2.1 (dual-mono) and now I'm only getting audio out of one channel, so something has gone wrong there!

Edit: switched back to stereo operation and connected to main L/R and I now have 2 channels back. Shame to not be able to take advantage of dual-mono though.

Last edited:
Tim...
Yes, you identified another common factor: HifiBerry HATs. I will follow up with HiFiBerry support, but I will also describe my setup in more detail which will explain why I don't think it is the answer

1. Player#1 = RPi3 & Digi+ Pro. On-board wifi-BT is turned off, and external USB wifi adapter in use. No known interferences with this hardware configuration.

2. Player#2 = RPi2 & DAC+ Pro. No on-board wifi, and external USB wifi adapter in use. No known interferences with this hardware configuration.

3. Player#3 = RPi2 & DAC+. No on-board wifi, and external USB wifi adapter in use. No known interferences with this hardware configuration.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi, Tom.

I'm on a road trip and using my phone so will be brief (or else my finger will wear out).

Have you tried running one of these RPis with the DAC removed but no change in location, enclosure, WiFi setup, power arrangement, OS, etc? If it remains accessible for up a reasonable time (in your case, more than 20 days, apparently) then it's tempting to say the culprit is indeed EMI from the DAC to the WiFi adapter.

I only say " tempting" because it is also possible to point an accusatory finger at your power supply and power cabling. If the supply is marginal then the extra load of the DAC might be enough to pull the supply voltage over the edge, so to speak. Similarly, if the cabling conductors have high enough resistance (small diameter/long length) the extra load could again pull the supply voltage down enough. Also, the more marginal the supply voltage, the more the system will be susceptible to EMI coupled to the supply line from the DAC.

Regards,
Kent

Well, I've just updated to 3.8.2 and using Kali/Piano 2.1 (dual-mono) and now I'm only getting audio out of one channel, so something has gone wrong there!

Edit: switched back to stereo operation and connected to main L/R and I now have 2 channels back. Shame to not be able to take advantage of dual-mono though.

Hi,

No issues w/Dual-Mono on my end. Looking at the RCA jacks its L/mute mute/R.

There is also a test cmd in the home dir named piano.sh. It dumps out the mode setting and volume levels.

Below is with MPD set to Hardware and moOde knob at 30. If MPD set to Software volume then volume levels below would all be 0dB (100%).

pi@rp3:~ $ ./piano.sh
Dual mode: Dual-Mono
Subw mode: None
Sub xover: 60
Sub level: 70%
Main levl: 70%
Mstr levl: 70%

-Tim

I think you have to set the subwoofer volume to 100% to get sound from the other channel (Audio Configuration > Chip/Device options) and put the RCA connector on the outer right connector.

Even the lowly pi zero w with a PHAT DAC sounds great with similar settings (no upsampling ) . Tried an A to B comparison of some tracks on Marantz CD6004 CD player and FLACs ripped from the same physical CDs streamed from NAS using MoOde 3.8.2 and it was hard to tell the difference between them.

Cheers,

Phil

If only they could be purchased... outside of Europe and the US the shipping far exceeds the cost, which means buying 5 or so is the only economic method, but I've yet to find a vendor that will sell more than 1.

I've never understood this ridiculous policy.

Hi Hifix,

to me, it seems, 3.8.2. does the best job concerning sq. This may be due to the newest kernel, but I dont know really. What is better? Stage, resolution, precision and agility. I´m using Rpi3 with Allo Boss and iFi iPower. Sox Upsample to 32bit 384 khz, advanced rt-kernel, cpu-governor on demand, FiFo.

Enjoy

Luki

Hello Luki,

Danke schön.

I appreciate the feedback. I will give the new release a go as soon as i get some time.
I'm using the RT kernel (on demand) with the RR setting. I'm using an audiophonics ES9023 DAC which thankfully provides enjoyment. I'm watchfull of the CPU temps as the whole thing is in an aluminium enclosure (which i've drilled out for ventilation). Without "on demand", the CPU temperature was a consistent few degrees higher.

Hi Bob,

Take a look at /var/www/command/restart.sh. This is what moOde uses for Shutdown and Reboot from the UI. In this script, MPD is sent a stop command which causes it to save its state file. The state file would contain the a reference to the last track that was played.

-Tim

Thanks Tim, I changed my lirc config to the command found in /var/www/command/restart.sh

Code:
begin
prog = irex
button = KEY_POWER
config = mpc stop; systemctl stop nginx; poweroff
end

It turns off cleanly but still something is stopping autostart on a cold start.

I am wondering if the gpio pin used for the lirc receiver is being polled by something else... I seem to recall you wrote previously about rotary encoders for volume and a moode config but can't seem to find this through the forum search...perhaps I have the wrong terms....

is there anything else in moode using gpio pin 25 ? I recall something about the rotary encode being 23 and 24 and possibly the switch being 25 ?

Last edited:
Hi @onionhead,

What version of moOde?

No issues on my Mac Air. Watch out for caps lock on.

LT1:~ Lt1user$ ssh pi@moode
pi@moode's password:
Linux 4.9.41-v7+ J-Lite Core, armv7l Architecture
__ ____ ____
__ _ ___ ___ ___/ /__ / __ \/ __/
/ ' \/ _ \/ _ \/ _ / -_) /_/ /\ \
/_/_/_/\___/\___/\_,_/\__/\____/___/

moodeOS™ Version 3.0
multi-kernel
(C) 2016 Tim Curtis

moodeOS is based on Debian GNU/Linux and is custom
factored for Moode Audio Player. The programs included
with moodeOS are free software; the exact distribution
terms for each program are described in the individual
files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright. moodeOS comes with
absolutely no warranties expressed or implied, or any
other guarantees. Moode Audio Player is covered under
separate license agreement contained in the file
/var/www/LICENSE.moode and displayed in Moode About.

Last login: Fri Aug 18 09:06:47 2017 from 192.168.1.155
pi@moode:~ $

-Tim

ah, ok, thanks for that. I was under the impression that I had to do that in certain cases while in Dual-Mono but cant remember which :confused:

Hi @r100,

Perfectly understandable.

The Piano 2.1 Dual Modes went through several rapid driver updates from Allo. It wasn't until moOde 3.8.2 and Linux kernel 4.9.41 that it all got sorted and I was able to code for the really nice Master volume feature that was implemented by Allo in the Piano 2.1 driver :)

-Tim

Hi Tim, just checked /var/log/mpd/mpd.log and find that where moode is shutdown from the ui or rebooted it successfully reconnects to the stream previously playing.

Where it is shutdown from the remote and restarted there is an exception:Not seekable

I have tried googling this in relation to streams and perhaps the stream data is not being cached so when mpc sends the stop command mpd fails to log the stream to saved state.

Odd that the Lirc remote command and the UI command from the script are exactly the same but give different results..?

Code:
Aug 20 11:31 : player: played "http://5.152.208.98:8058"
Aug 20 11:34 : player: played "http://5.152.208.98:8058"
Aug 20 11:36 : player: played "http://5.152.208.98:8058"
Aug 20 11:37 : player: played "http://5.152.208.98:8058"
Aug 20 11:38 : avahi: Service 'Moode MPD' successfully established.
Aug 20 11:39 : player: played "http://5.152.208.98:8058"
Aug 20 11:39 : avahi: Service 'Moode MPD' successfully established.
Aug 20 11:39 : exception: Not seekable
Aug 20 11:56 : player: played "http://5.152.208.98:8058"
Aug 20 11:57 : avahi: Service 'Moode MPD' successfully established.
Aug 20 11:57 : exception: Not seekable
Aug 20 12:54 : player: played "http://5.152.208.98:8058"
Aug 20 12:54 : avahi: Service 'Moode MPD' successfully established.
Aug 20 12:55 : player: played "http://5.152.208.98:8058"

Hallo Tim !

Moode 3.8.2 - rpi2-Kali-Piano 2.1 (dual mono)

loudness- disable
- played only subwofer channel (R)
- correction enrolment ssh and set alsamixer (first column) on 100
- restart arrangement returns however everything back

loudness- hardware
- then is everything OK- loudness of both channel go together and after restarting arrangement

Big interest in loudness "disable" !
:)
Thanks !

Hallo Tim !

Moode 3.8.2 - rpi2-Kali-Piano 2.1 (dual mono)

loudness- disable
- played only subwofer channel (R)
- correction enrolment ssh and set alsamixer (first column) on 100
- restart arrangement returns however everything back

loudness- hardware
- then is everything OK- loudness of both channel go together and after restarting arrangement

Big interest in loudness "disable" !
:)
Thanks !

I tried the RT advanced kernel in dual mono with hardware volume disabled (Moode 3.8.2- Pi2-IanIsolator-Kali-Piano 2.1) as well and got the same one channel only too. It didn't occur to me to try with the software volume enabled. I'll try that later if I get the chance.

Tim, MoOde has evolved into a fantastic player. Thank you for all your hard work!