Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi All,

I've been using Moode 2.3 for more than a year. When I tried using 2.4 it was slow and config saving was not successful. Did not realise then the issue was with my SDcard, not Moode.

Now with Moode 2.5 here's my observations:

Music sounds amazing on my setup: PI2 > Moodle > USB > Chord Mojo > HifiMan HE560. Very transparent, detailed and musical at the same time. Listening to Art Lande now and enjoying the piano. And enjoying the realistic and smooth voices and music of The Carpenters, Diana Krall, Chris Isaak, Elton John and Elvis.

Moode 2.5 is much faster and has better UI and improved library function. Combine that with the excellent sound quality, it's a pleasure to listen to music on Moode. I can listen for hours at a time. We have a seriously good music player here.

Rick

Thanks for Moode

Tim,

Thank you for your hard work on Moode.

Am enjoying Moode 2.5 immensely and appreciate your excellent player every day when I use it.

I've donated. Have a few cool beers :cheers:

To other who are enjoying Moode, I say let's donate and show our appreciation and encouragement that way too :up:

Rick

Hi All,

I've been using Moode 2.3 for more than a year. When I tried using 2.4 it was slow and config saving was not successful. Did not realise then the issue was with my SDcard, not Moode.

Now with Moode 2.5 here's my observations:

Music sounds amazing on my setup: PI2 > Moodle > USB > Chord Mojo > HifiMan HE560. Very transparent, detailed and musical at the same time. Listening to Art Lande now and enjoying the piano. And enjoying the realistic and smooth voices and music of The Carpenters, Diana Krall, Chris Isaak, Elton John and Elvis.

Moode 2.5 is much faster and has better UI and improved library function. Combine that with the excellent sound quality, it's a pleasure to listen to music on Moode. I can listen for hours at a time. We have a seriously good music player here.

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the nice compliment. I really appreciate it. The 2.5 code rewrite was a labor of love and I'm glad that you are enjoying some of the performance and UI improvements that I was trying to achieve :)

Btw, a favorite vocal of mine is "You're Looking At Me" from "All For You: A Dedication To The Nat King Cole Trio". The track features just Diana Krall vocal and Russel Malone guitar.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the nice compliment. I really appreciate it. The 2.5 code rewrite was a labor of love and I'm glad that you are enjoying some of the performance and UI improvements that I was trying to achieve :)

Btw, a favorite vocal of mine is "You're Looking At Me" from "All For You: A Dedication To The Nat King Cole Trio". The track features just Diana Krall vocal and Russel Malone guitar.

Regards,
Tim

Tim,

Yes thanks for the ongoing labour of love. I work in IT and I know how much work that is. Hats off to you. One great thing about your work is at least you can be a proud father of a beautiful baby - moode. And moode gives so much joy to so many. You should be proud.

Oh yes, "You're look at me" by Diana Krall is a fantastic track. Thanks for sharing. One of my favorite vocal is Diana Krall's "The girl in the other room".

Another album I get a kick out of listening is the 1st 3 tracks of Roy Obison's Black & White Nights. Listening to it now with Moode 2.5. Sounds like being in the club with Roy :up::hphones:

Rick

Last edited:
Moode on Raspberry PI 3

Hi,

I'm going to wait until the dust settles on the Pi-3 and there is a knowledge base of info about what is exactly is required before I begin any investigation.

The official statement:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/
"Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1 and 2"

Regards,
Tim

Tim,

I've ordered 2 Raspberry PI 3 and was planning to use them for Moode 2.5. But no pressure, I can use the PI 2 with Moode 2.5 for now and use the PI 3 as paper weights - No I mean other uses. :) No pressure really :up:

Just curious: PI 3 has a 64bits 1.2 Ghz quad-core CPU. I've heard that initial Noobs/Raspbian OS will be 32bits.

Since you build your own OS, it will be fun to have a 64bits OS and 64bits Moode.

Wonder how much work that is?

Why if you build it, you can be the first , the best, (and the only) 64bit Music Player on the Raspberry PI on the planet!

And if we are lucky, besides being faster, it may even sound better (because of new libraries etc)

When you start work on moode for PI3 , I'll be happy to a beta tester.

Rick

Last edited:
Just a thing: it would be good if you could write on your website a page about optimal settings for each dac, at least for the important/most used ones.

e.g.
IQaudio pidac+

Optimal config for this DAC is:

(1) MPD volume control = "Hardware" (Menu, Configure, MPD)
(2) Logarithmic curve = "Yes" (Menu, Customize)
etc

This because every time I upgrade (right now to try 2.5!) I forget which were the correct settings. Having to search every time in this thread (getting longer everyday) is becoming painful :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi,

This procedure might work for Pi-3. Extract kernel from new Pi-3 compatible Raspbian Jessie and then install it on a TEST Moode image. Its been a long time since I've used this, and I don't have Pi-3 to test with so YMMV. Rpi-update already has the Pi-3 commits in its "next" branch :)

NOTE: there may be settings in cmdline.txt and config.sys txt that need to be migrated to Moode so best to save copies of these files from new Jessie image.

download Raspbian Jessie 2016-02-26 image
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

ssh to Raspbian

tar -zcf bootfiles.tar.gz /boot --exclude '.*' --exclude 'cmdline.txt' --exclude 'config.txt'
tar -zcf libfirmware.tar.gz /lib/firmware
tar -zcf libmodules.tar.gz /lib/modules

cp *.gz to external storage

ssh to Moode
cp *.gz from external storage to home dir

cd /

rm -rf lib/modules lib/firmware

tar xfz ~/libmodules.tar.gz
tar xfz ~/libfirmware.tar.gz
tar xfz ~/bootfiles.tar.gz

sync
halt

Regards,
Tim

Rendering problem in both Firefox and Chrome on Android 5.0 - screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-04-19-50-29.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-04-19-50-29.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 264
why covers don't show on my 2.5?
Just installed, vanilla.
USB HDD

The only change I did on the top of my mind is I changed mpd.conf music folder to "/var/lib/mpd/music/USB/Music"

to index only that subfolder. Maybe this breaks something?

I'll try reverting that. On 2.5tr2 (iirc?) all worked fine. For a fraction of second I can see it flashes "Cover not found" on the high part of the cover square, then it reverts to the stock default "no cover" moode image

why covers don't show on my 2.5?
Just installed, vanilla.
USB HDD

The only change I did on the top of my mind is I changed mpd.conf music folder to "/var/lib/mpd/music/USB/Music"

to index only that subfolder. Maybe this breaks something?

I'll try reverting that. On 2.5tr2 (iirc?) all worked fine. For a fraction of second I can see it flashes "Cover not found" on the high part of the cover square, then it reverts to the stock default "no cover" moode image

Hi,

I don't have any reports of cover art issues with 2.5 so maybe try clearing Browser cache AND history.

Regards,
Tim