Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Our approach to Bookworm is the same as for earlier Raspberry Pi OS and that is to ship moOde on top of what is essentially stock RaspiOS including their released Linux kernel package. This provides a really stable, DIY friendly platform to the max extent possible while still maintaining the integrity of moOde code which itself is already pretty hackable, especially if you learn a bit of the build tooling.

From what I've read both 8ch I2S capability and multichannel HDMI (w/o the ch swapping bug) are in the Pi kernel devs camp so when they get these ironed out in some kernel release we will bump to that release package in moOde. There might also be changes needed downstream for example in CamillaDSP, don't know yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by Pipewire but moOde outputs to ALSA directly and does not use any audio middleware like Pulsaudio etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for clarifying.
Its my own opinion and correct me if Im wrong. I used Moode for just 3 months on borrowed rpi3, now I got rpi5 and can't wait for bookworm release.
I had problems getting RPI Bluetooth working as input (or there was no option) and putting it through Camilladsp. I remember it was 'working' in volumio but delay was like 2-3 sec, so not acceptable, same as their subscription plan:). Thought that pipewire could be a remedy for that problem.
Also camilladsp+pipewire could be more flexible, at least for my usage. I really like streamer capabilities and will use one, but along that I need a DSP and probably multplexer for my active system. So I can connect TV, phone or other devices with bt, coax toslink.. Make it a center point of system.
I understand that Moode is a streamer (a damn good one!) and Camilla DSP is extra feature.
Is it possible that moode will such capabilities out of the box in future realeses, without changing code. Would be a perfect tool for those who use acticlve speakers.

I am trying to setup Moode audio on a Raspberry Pi Zero W 1.1. I have configured and flashed an SD card. The Pi boots but doesn't seem to be on the network (wifi). So I tried connecting a monitor and keyboard, but soon after the Pi starts, it blanks to a grey screen. I just have enough time to log in, but then the screen blanks grey. Is there any way I can stop this.
P.S. I tried two other Pi Zero's, and I have re-flashed the SD card twice... so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Thanks for clarifying.
Its my own opinion and correct me if Im wrong. I used Moode for just 3 months on borrowed rpi3, now I got rpi5 and can't wait for bookworm release.
I had problems getting RPI Bluetooth working as input (or there was no option) and putting it through Camilladsp. I remember it was 'working' in volumio but delay was like 2-3 sec, so not acceptable, same as their subscription plan:). Thought that pipewire could be a remedy for that problem.
Also camilladsp+pipewire could be more flexible, at least for my usage. I really like streamer capabilities and will use one, but along that I need a DSP and probably multplexer for my active system. So I can connect TV, phone or other devices with bt, coax toslink.. Make it a center point of system.
I understand that Moode is a streamer (a damn good one!) and Camilla DSP is extra feature.
Is it possible that moode will such capabilities out of the box in future realeses, without changing code. Would be a perfect tool for those who use acticlve speakers.

I'm not sure what version of moOde you are referring to but starting way back with version 8.3.4 CamillaDSP support was added to Bluetooth inbound. There is no delay whatsoever, playback starts instantly.

- UPD: Add support for CamillaDSP to Bluetooth inbound connection

As far as the Preamp capabilities you are referring to, that would need to be provided by the audio device itself and its inputs would need to support switching and configuration via ALSA commands, then there is at least a possibility that this could be integrated into moOde's WebUI Realistically though, because of the effort involved, the device would need to either be really popular and widely used or a dev would need to be interested enough to do the work for a specific device.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have a simple, working Camilla DSP yaml config file they could share? Installed the latest moode from raspberry pi official flash utility and get audio via i2s but the bundled configs don’t work for me and even uploading (adapted) examples from the Camilla DSP GitHub doesn’t seem to solve it… they show as invalid when I click ‘check’ and don’t run either… HELP!

I am wondering if someone can help me to solve this issue.

I recently ordered and put together the tda1387 x8 protodac, pair with pi4 model B 4gb and Moode Audio 8.3.9. It sounds excellent to me. Thank you to Mark and Tim to put up this great project.

Then I ordered a Hifiberry Digi2 Pro hat between the pi4 and protodac but unable to find this particular Digi2 Pro under the I2S Device drop down manual. Anyway I choose Digi+pro see what happen. It plays but no sound. Would someone please to let me know what exactly cause this issue?

I am looking for ideas to re-solve this issue. So any suggestions are more then welcome.

Sidney

Hi,

We began our port of moOde to Raspberry Pi OS Bookworm and Pi-5 and expect to have a generally available release in Q2 2024. Visit the Forum for status updates and Q&A. https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=6296&pid=52813#pid52813

moode-r900.png

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I have some issue with bluetooth:

Input / Output
  • Source Bluetooth stream
  • Source format Unknown
  • Decoded to PCM 16 bit 44.1 kHz, Stereo
  • Output format Not playing
  • ALSA mode Direct (plughw)
  • Audio chain Bluetooth -> plughw -> Device
DSP operations
  • Resample rate
  • Selective
  • Volume type MPD Software (24-bit)
Audio Device
  • Device DDRC-24
  • Mixer name DDRC-24
  • Interface USB
  • Formats S16_LE, S32_LE
  • Platform Pi-2B 1.1 1GB

bluealsa-aplay -L
bluealsa:DEV=xxx,PROFILE=a2dp,SRV=org.bluealsa
Pixel 6 Pro, trusted phone, capture
A2DP (aptX-HD): S24_LE 2 channels 48000 Hz

I am playing on the source but it seems it not being received on the moode.

Hi everyone,

I have just finished setting up Moode on my RPI 4 with a Justboom Digi HAT. Absolutely brilliant software, so easy to get up and running!

I am having a bit of an odd issue in that I can’t get any audio from my Digi HAT when the audio output level is set to fixed. My DAC shows it locking onto a signal but no sound which is a bit odd. If I set it to software volume and up it to 100% it works fine but resets to 0% when the system next boots.

Ideally I’d like the output volume to be fixed but I’d settle for the volume always defaulting to 100% :)

Thank you :)

Thanks Tim. The problem has since resolved itself!

I don't suppose you or anyone else knows much about using pydPiper for output to LCDs? It works perfectly when playing music "locally" i.e. from my NAS, but when I use Spotify Connect, the display doesn't show anything. It just continues showing the clock. It would be nice if it at least could just say "Spotify Connect in use". :)

hello everyone, I would also like to build a protodac and I am looking for the necessary components. I have already ordered the TDA1387 X8. I came across this forum on the internet search because Carsten offered pcbs. I would like to buy one from him. It would be nice if he could contact me, as I am not yet allowed to write directly to members as a new member.
I hope it works out this way