Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

have you tried rerunning the SSH raspotify install command ? it fixed some recent android problems I was having and didn't affect name customisations etc

Lx

Thanks Lurkio77. Working now!

I had previously tried to update Raspotify but there was no updates. Tried running the install again which failed so I did a complete removal and reinstall and it's now up and running again. From the first attempt at the reinstall it looks like there was an end of Feb Librespot update. Is there a way to check/update the Librespot components without the Raspotify removal and reinstall process?
Thanks, Adrian

I'm sorry for the long post, but I'd like to get to the bottom of a small issue I haven't understood re TIDAL when using upmpdcli in Moode4 vs BubbleUPnP server.

This is my issue: I have setup both upmpdcli in Moode4 and BubbleUPnP server for accessing my Tidal account.

However when I browse UPNP sources with Linn Kazoo pointing to my "Moode UPNP 4" room I first get this error:

<image removed>

And my "Home View" in Linn does NOT show Tidal directly.
Tidal can be accessed only browsing into "My Music"

<images removed>

On the contrary, when I browse UPNP sources with Linn Kazoo pointing to my "BubbleUPnP" room Tidal button is directly available:

<images>

The same thing using LuminApp as a controller.

With "Moode UPNP 4" Tidal button IS NOT there (and I cannot browse Tidal at all!):

<image removed>

While with "BubbleUPnP" Tidal button IS there:

<image removed>

Not a big deal, but it would seem to me that OpenHome fetaures implementation in upmdpcli is not complete.... or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Franz

Hi, Franz

I have logged only 1 hour on the Android Lumin App. It certainly behaves differently than does BubbleUPnP. However, when each is used as a control point against the moOde mediaserver (with moOde acting as a proxy Tidal mediaserver) it seems to me that they behave in similar ways. In both, I have to select the "Moode UPNP-mediaserver" library and then I am presented the Tidal folder as a choice. (See attached Lumin screen captures for what I see before and after I select "Tidal").

As for comparing what Lumin sees with two different mediaservers (moOde and BubbleUPnP), I'm reminded of what @Serverbaboon said yesterday: Different UPnP implementations ask for things differently. By extension, I infer they probably advertise things differently too.

You're free, of course, to use whatever proxy Tidal mediaserver you like best in your circumstance. moOde's behavior as a UPnP renderer is the same regardless.

As an aside, I find that the Lumin Android app also fails right now when I try to open a album in the Tidal Recommended Playlists via the moOde mediaserver.

Regards,
Kent

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180310-074924.png
    Screenshot_20180310-074924.png
    160.5 KB · Views: 356
  • Screenshot_20180310-081056.png
    Screenshot_20180310-081056.png
    182 KB · Views: 354
Would be interesting to see if Linn Kazoo works, in previous conversations with the developer he said that the control points don't always ask for things in the same way.

If I get chance over the weekend I will have a look, but if someone can enable logging level 5 in the upmpdcli.conf file in /etc and uncomment the log filename entry and restart the service or reboot the PI then something maybe visible in here and syslog.

Will have to sort out a trial sub so it will probably be Sunday before I can look.

@Serverbaboon

Haven't tried Linn Kazoo, but did try the Lumin Android app against moOde as proxy Tidal mediaserver and Lumin fails in same way as BubbleUPnP.

Gaithered logs and also looked through the source-code tree. I see some curious things which may or may not be meaningful but I have to get off to weekend functions and won't be able to contribute more to the discussion unto (late?) tomorrow.

Regards,
Kent

Hi peeps
anyone got any experience with moode i2s to mindsp ?

Seems to me to make sense to keep it digital all the way and to avoid the USB bus on the pi

just looking for advice to get me started, ie what minidsp product to get for an active 3 way speaker system & is there a minidsp compatible moode i2s option etc ?

lx

I have had Rpi3/JustBoom Digi/MiniDigi/MiniDSP system. I am no expert but if I can help answer specific questions PM me and we can go from there.

Hi all, can anybody expain what happens with the volume control when the UPnP renderer is used? I can control the volume from the UPnP control point (e.g. BubbleUPnP on my smartphone) but I can see this does not change - apparently - the global volume in Moode.

Does the UPnP renderer (upmpd) have its own volume or is it setting the MPD volume without updating the interface? (It seems that when I mute-demute it goes back to 100%).

Tim (and other contributors) thank you very much for all the work which goes into making such a wonderful piece of software. I am very happy with Moode 4.0. It rocks! I have gladly made another small donation to the project.

The current version is a great improvement. The UI looks great. I kind of miss the "skip to the end/start of the page" buttons on the playlist and in the file browser but can totally see why they have been dropped. The UI is nice and clean looking.

I was wondering what the "Players" option is for? I can't quite figure it out. When I select "Players" I get a pop up which lists my two moode players and osmc but when I select/click on iOS (iPad) nothing happens, on my laptop/desktop a new browser tab opens but goes nowhere. Is this normal behavior?

Another question: Can moode output it's audio via Bluetooth? I see the option to choose output includes Bluetooth. However I was unable to connect to my Bluetooth speakers. If the Bluetooth output is a current working feature I will try to pair again.

I have a feature request. I have mentioned it before but thought I would cheekily suggest it again!
Feature: "Add next" option on drop down menu for tracks, folders, albums. This places the desired track/tracks on the playlist immediately after the currently playing track.
Use Case: I am listening to the middle of a long playlist and decide I want to listen to song or album immediately after the current track without interrupting it. Currently the best I can do is add the track/album to the end of the playlist and then reposition it, or wait until the current track ends and manually start the desired track, or delete the remainder of the playlist before I add the music. An "add next" option would mean I could achieve my goal with a single click and would in my view vastly improve the ease of playlist building and use. This feature was present on rune and volumio I think (it's been a while so I am unsure, maybe both but at least one of them had the feature). It is also present on Rockbox for my portable player.

Anyway what a great piece of kit! I love that it is constantly improving. The only major omission is spotify connectivity but I am glad to see that project has some momentum now so undoubtedly it will be integrated into moodeOS in the future.

I have set up a IR remote via lirc and this really improves the experience for me. Lirc had a version change with the move to Stretch so the setup changed slightly. I have also made my two instances of Moode work together as I can now with a button on my remote have one player "request" the current playlist from the other player which is then sent over and loaded! Very satisfying for an novice coder like myself! :)

Should be, or disabled if Tim prefers to keep it on screen.

Ideally (in theory anyway, I have volume disabled so in practice it might not be that great) to me mute would be toggled by tapping the middle of the volume dial but that’s already assigned to editing the number as a text input for ocd people. I’d like to have the control be range limited, currently it's 0-100 and the volume warning limits the portion of the control that is usable. It makes more sense to me that the upper range of the input would be the value set in volume warning so that you could use the full range to set 0-20 (if 20 was the volume warning number) and skip the warning dialog. This would likely mean the page would need to be refreshed if you change the volume limit in the customization dialog but that’s probably not a common enough occurrence for it to be burdensome.

Hiding the mute button is an easy one :)

Range limiting is also probably a better method of volume limiting except for the page refresh required to update the controls, but as u say its probably only a one time thing.

The new code I sent along has the min/max params in the volume knob input controls, and also the readonly setting so the number can't be manipulated.

-Tim

Good evening Moode fans,

A question for all you technogeeks / audiophile types (I like to think I'm one of them, but I lack knowledge in this particular area, being new to the designated DAC world...)

Essentially I'm looking to know what's best to "feed" the DAC.

Im running a Pi3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro.

I've searched high and wide for info about best practices for optimal sound, with an eye on technical explanations as to why, but there does not seem to be much better than "try out different settings and see if you like them". I understand that listening experience is partly subjective, but there has to be some best practices for the chain from digital sourcefile to analogue DAC-out.

As I understand it, the chain goes somthing like this:

1. File with native bit depth/sample rate;
  2. --> mpd+sox where the digital stream gets resampled to new bit/sample rate (I understand this to be accomplished by the computer, independant of the DAC);
  3. --> the resampled stream is sent to the DAC (or if no software resampling, the original un-resampled stream gets sent);
  4. --> DAC can (or necessarily does?) resample; and finally
  5. --> DAC converts to analogue and out to RCA jacks.
I know basically what a DAC does, i.e. convert the digital stream to analogue signal. I am led to believe the DAC can do it's own harware resampling (or necessarily does?), before converting the digital stream to analogue signal(?).

When I request "Audio Info" from the menu, it gives the following info for my DAC:
Audio Device
Device: HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro
Chip: Burr Brown PCM5122
Architecture: Sigma/Delta Advanced Segment 24 bit 192 kHz
Interface: I2S
What is this 24/192 Architecture referring to? Is it the prefered input? is it the default for "harware resampling" prior to analogue conversion? Or something else altogether?

I've taken to doing a sox resampling to 24/192, to match the Architecture cited above, but I'm not at all sure this makes any technical sense, though it does sound pretty sweet.

I fully understand the idea of resampling, along with the pitfals in the form of potentially introducing artefacts, etc, (sox is technically pretty excellent, see SRC Comparisons), but what I'm struggling to understand is the best practice for my equipment. I'd hate to, for instance, up-sample by software beyond what the DAC can handle, only for the DAC to just down-sample by default and lose some precious fidelity and possibly introduce artefacts that could have been avoided.

I've read much about Sox and Mpd and I spent far too much time at the HiFiBerry forum, but even the maker seems to shy away from taking a firm stance on how to best set up and use his otherwise impressive little product to it's optimal performance.

Please tell me not only what I should do, but mostly why, because for me at least, part of the satisfaction I get from the listening experience is that I've got it right, technically speaking - it's all important, from excellent taste in music (IMVHO);), to good quality ripping, to an excellent little hardware marvel, with a pretty near perfect software package, Moode!

Thanks in advance

Wibo

Hi Wibo,

The 24/192 spec in Audio info is a paper spec indicating the max. I created a set of audio device descriptions based on info in the device datasheets or based on what the manufacturers sent me. Some of them may be out of date by now. I don't go back and update them unless there is a need, but I do add new ones from time to time.

As far as best or optimal goes, YMMV. I generally leave all DSP off, set MPD volume control to Hardware if the audio device supports it and then calibrate my audio systems for max volume using the procedure below. This assumes the audio system has its own physical volume control and that you plan on using moOde knob to control volume.

1. Set phy volume to 0
2. Set moOde volume to 100
3. Play tracks that represents the type of music you typically listen to
4. Raise phy volume until music is loudest that you would ever listen at

This results in a basic volume configuration where attenuating moOde volume to normal listening levels results in very little reduction in bit depth. You can also tweak this a bit by setting MPD to 24 or 32 bit wildcard resample rate. This bumps the bit depth and leaves the sample rate unchanged.

Even though moOde offers a huge number of audio settings and options I personally am more of a minimalist for my own listening and just go with no DSP except for volume :)

-Tim

Hi all, can anybody expain what happens with the volume control when the UPnP renderer is used? I can control the volume from the UPnP control point (e.g. BubbleUPnP on my smartphone) but I can see this does not change - apparently - the global volume in Moode.

Does the UPnP renderer (upmpd) have its own volume or is it setting the MPD volume without updating the interface? (It seems that when I mute-demute it goes back to 100%).

Currently, volume and mute changes made in moOde UI are picked up by UPnP controller UI, at least in Kazoo, but not vis versa. Yes, UPNP controller sets MPD volume and mute, inserts tracks, etc.

I'm not really sure how much effort I want to devote to keeping the UPnP UI world and moOde UI world in sync.

-Tim

Tim (and other contributors) thank you very much for all the work which goes into making such a wonderful piece of software. I am very happy with Moode 4.0. It rocks! I have gladly made another small donation to the project.

The current version is a great improvement. The UI looks great. I kind of miss the "skip to the end/start of the page" buttons on the playlist and in the file browser but can totally see why they have been dropped. The UI is nice and clean looking.

I was wondering what the "Players" option is for? I can't quite figure it out. When I select "Players" I get a pop up which lists my two moode players and osmc but when I select/click on iOS (iPad) nothing happens, on my laptop/desktop a new browser tab opens but goes nowhere. Is this normal behavior?

Another question: Can moode output it's audio via Bluetooth? I see the option to choose output includes Bluetooth. However I was unable to connect to my Bluetooth speakers. If the Bluetooth output is a current working feature I will try to pair again.

I have a feature request. I have mentioned it before but thought I would cheekily suggest it again!
Feature: "Add next" option on drop down menu for tracks, folders, albums. This places the desired track/tracks on the playlist immediately after the currently playing track.
Use Case: I am listening to the middle of a long playlist and decide I want to listen to song or album immediately after the current track without interrupting it. Currently the best I can do is add the track/album to the end of the playlist and then reposition it, or wait until the current track ends and manually start the desired track, or delete the remainder of the playlist before I add the music. An "add next" option would mean I could achieve my goal with a single click and would in my view vastly improve the ease of playlist building and use. This feature was present on rune and volumio I think (it's been a while so I am unsure, maybe both but at least one of them had the feature). It is also present on Rockbox for my portable player.

Anyway what a great piece of kit! I love that it is constantly improving. The only major omission is spotify connectivity but I am glad to see that project has some momentum now so undoubtedly it will be integrated into moodeOS in the future.

I have set up a IR remote via lirc and this really improves the experience for me. Lirc had a version change with the move to Stretch so the setup changed slightly. I have also made my two instances of Moode work together as I can now with a button on my remote have one player "request" the current playlist from the other player which is then sent over and loaded! Very satisfying for an novice coder like myself! :)

After pairing and connecting to Bluetooth speaker

- Menu, Configure, SEL
- Set Audio output to Bluetooth

Players >> enables instant switching to another moOde UI. Its been modified for upcoming 4.1 release so that it only lists other moOde players and not things like Ubuntu, osmc etc.

The "Add next" feature is a good idea and is already on the TODO list but I don't know when I'll be getting to it.

-Tim

Currently, volume and mute changes made in moOde UI are picked up by UPnP controller UI, at least in Kazoo, but not vis versa. Yes, UPNP controller sets MPD volume and mute, inserts tracks, etc.

I'm not really sure how much effort I want to devote to keeping the UPnP UI world and moOde UI world in sync.

-Tim

Thank you very much Tim. Well, it's not a dealbreaker since when using Moode with a UPnP controller there is not point in using the Moode interface if not for diagnostics. I just wanted to be sure that the UPnP control was tied to MPD.

Official Touchscreen Backlighting

For all of you that use the Raspberry Pi Official Touchscreen I would like to see if there is any interest in an additional configuration option that would keep the backlight on while moOde is playing, but would turn the backlight off after moOde has been stopped or paused for a selected length of time.

For example, I set the screen blanking to 10 minutes normally. But if I am playing a 90 minute playlist I would like the backlight to stay on throughout the 90 minute playlist and for an addition 10 minutes after the playlist is complete to allow me to select more music. If I happen to pause the music for some reason, the display again would blank in 10 minutes. Of course, if the display is blanked, simply touching the display would turn the backlighting on again.

Please post your interest or suggestions.

Cheers.

Hello Guys.

I'm trying Moode audio. thanks Tim. great product works fine and sounds great.
I have some questions:

how can I change the song sorting method? I'd like to sort by name.

I have been experiencing so clicking sound when a pause and resume with diferent media players. incluiding Moode. I tried diferent dacs, is it related to the r-pi usb interface? can I mitigate by config?

Thanks

For all of you that use the Raspberry Pi Official Touchscreen I would like to see if there is any interest in an additional configuration option that would keep the backlight on while moOde is playing, but would turn the backlight off after moOde has been stopped or paused for a selected length of time.

For example, I set the screen blanking to 10 minutes normally. But if I am playing a 90 minute playlist I would like the backlight to stay on throughout the 90 minute playlist and for an addition 10 minutes after the playlist is complete to allow me to select more music. If I happen to pause the music for some reason, the display again would blank in 10 minutes. Of course, if the display is blanked, simply touching the display would turn the backlighting on again.

Please post your interest or suggestions.

Cheers.
Yep, I would love that.

Very occasional poster here...been using Moode for a couple of years and love the sound, the UI, the forum support.

Came to upgrade to 4 yesterday, downloaded the release (following a modest donation to Tim) and was a bit shocked not to find my usual image file nearly tucked away in the zip folder! :eek:

I'm a total novice and flashing the image to an SD card was about the full extent of my technical prowess. However, I did a bit of research, downloaded putty and ssh-ed into my Pi for the first time, followed the automated build instructions and less than an hour later was enjoying the music!

So a huge thanks to Tim for the clear instructions, flawless execution and taking an already great bit of software to another level. Sure, it needs a bit of self-starting and doesn't treat you like a complete idiot, but that's why I got a Raspberry Pi in the first place!