Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

There is simply a magic with the Maggies and the Class D .. Hard to describe to someone without letting them hear first hand. I *do* have a sub - an 8" polk audio.. Nothing high end, but it gives a little low-freq OOMPF .. It is more a hanger-on from home theater days than anything I require for the maggies - their low end kick is enough for my ears!

As far as an SSH fix... I think I could manage if I had some instructions.. would give it a try at least.

Many thanks for the quick response !

Hi,

Thanks for posting your setup! Maggies and a 400C so cool. Are u using a sub?

The coverart issue is a regression and is fixed in upcoming 4.1 update. If you know your way around ssh just email me and I'll explain the very simple fix.

-Tim

Hi

How can I enable SPDIF audio passthrough with Alsa using a Iqaudio Digi+ board on the rasapberry pi 3 running Moode 4.0.

I have some DTS 5.1 audio files which I can play in surround sound using OSMC (kodi) using the same hardware so I know it's do able.

Moode reports this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Please help!

So, after trying to play with the bluetooth dongle and failing, I'm now not able to play anything. I disabled bluetooth and set audio output to the onboard audio device, but no luck. Whatever I do, mpd tries to output to bluetooth. I checked /etc/mpd.conf and I still have audio_output set to bluetooth. If I remove those lines and restart mpd, I get "ERROR: All audio outputs are disabled".

my mpd.conf looks like this:

Code:
root@moode:/home/pi# cat /etc/mpd.conf.orig
<yada yada yada>

@clmbmb

There's so much you don't say that it's difficult to start troubleshooting remotely. As people often say in online discussions, we can't read your mind. It's clear from your message that you are tinkering from the command line. We can't know how different your system is now from the appliance that Tim has created.

Let's assume for a moment that it is still close enough.

I infer you were trying to direct audio output to the Bluetooth dongle. In moOde this is done by choosing "Bluetooth" for the "MPD audio output" setting on the new-ish Select Input/Output page. Did you remember to go back to this page and reset it to "Local (default)"?" I believe this setting overrides your choice of audio output device elsewhere.

If you did reset it, then we have to look further. Was your moOde player working before you started playing with a Bluetooth dongle? If so, were you using the "onboard audio device" then?

Regards,
Kent

PS - I personally find the current configuration scheme a bit confusing because the Select Input/Output screen directly modifies MPD settings but is separate from the MPD Config screen and accessible only from the main Configuration settings menu. (If I'm wrong on this, then that just confirms that I find it confusing). I know how we got to this point, but I'm not a UI designer and don't play one on TV, so I'll stop now.

Hi

How can I enable SPDIF audio passthrough with Alsa using a Iqaudio Digi+ board on the rasapberry pi 3 running Moode 4.0.

I have some DTS 5.1 audio files which I can play in surround sound using OSMC (kodi) using the same hardware so I know it's do able.

Moode reports this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thats a good question.

If someone wants to investigate how KODI implements passthrough then I'll see if I can do same in moOde.

-Tim

@clmbmb

There's so much you don't say that it's difficult to start troubleshooting remotely. As people often say in online discussions, we can't read your mind. It's clear from your message that you are tinkering from the command line. We can't know how different your system is now from the appliance that Tim has created.

I infer you were trying to direct audio output to the Bluetooth dongle. In moOde this is done by choosing "Bluetooth" for the "MPD audio output" setting on the new-ish Select Input/Output page. Did you remember to go back to this page and reset it to "Local (default)"?" I believe this setting overrides your choice of audio output device elsewhere.

If you did reset it, then we have to look further. Was your moOde player working before you started playing with a Bluetooth dongle? If so, were you using the "onboard audio device" then?

Regards,
Kent

PS - I personally find the current configuration scheme a bit confusing because the Select Input/Output screen directly modifies MPD settings but is separate from the MPD Config screen and accessible only from the main Configuration settings menu. (If I'm wrong on this, then that just confirms that I find it confusing). I know how we got to this point, but I'm not a UI designer and don't play one on TV, so I'll stop now.

I'm definitely open to an easier way of dealing with inputs and outputs :)

Currently there are 5 MPD outputs.

pi@rp3:~ $ mpc outputs
Output 1 (ALSA default) is enabled
Output 2 (ALSA crossfeed) is disabled
Output 3 (ALSA parametric eq) is disabled
Output 4 (ALSA graphic eq) is disabled
Output 5 (ALSA bluetooth) is disabled

Output 1 sends audio directly to the device.

Outputs 2-4 route audio to a DSP plugin then to the device. These outputs are configured in Audio config by turning on an EQ or Crossfeed.

Output 5 routes audio to a Bluetooth connected device. This output is configured in the SEL config screen.

-Tim

@clmbmb

Regards,
Kent

So, after I "played" with the bluetooth dongle, I went to the Config > SEL page and selected "On-board soundcard". Then, went to Config > Audio > MPD page and selected "On-board soundcard" for output and saved the configuration. I waited until I got the response "MPD service restarted" and tried to play something - nothing happened.

Yes, I was able to listen to music before without issues.

Then, I tried to see what 'mpc status' showed, and it it showed 'ERROR: Failed to open "ALSA bluetooth" [alsa]; Failed to open ALSA device "btstream": Invalid argument'. This made me check the settings in the web UI again. There was no bluetooth selected anywhere.

After that I tried to remove the lines referring to bluetooth in /etc/mpd.conf and restarted mpd. Running 'mpc status' shows me 'ERROR: All audio outputs are disabled' in this case.

My RPi is a model 2B and I don't use a DAC (for the moment).

So, after I "played" with the bluetooth dongle, I went to the Config > SEL page and selected "On-board soundcard". Then, went to Config > Audio > MPD page and selected "On-board soundcard" for output and saved the configuration. I waited until I got the response "MPD service restarted" and tried to play something - nothing happened.

Yes, I was able to listen to music before without issues.

Then, I tried to see what 'mpc status' showed, and it it showed 'ERROR: Failed to open "ALSA bluetooth" [alsa]; Failed to open ALSA device "btstream": Invalid argument'. This made me check the settings in the web UI again. There was no bluetooth selected anywhere.

After that I tried to remove the lines referring to bluetooth in /etc/mpd.conf and restarted mpd. Running 'mpc status' shows me 'ERROR: All audio outputs are disabled' in this case.

My RPi is a model 2B and I don't use a DAC (for the moment).

Hand editing the managed config files for example mpd.conf causes breakage and makes troubleshooting virtually impossible.

Hi,

Starting to test moOde 4.0 --> 4.1 update :) I'm going to delay its release for a bit to get some test time with the just released MPD 0.20.18. I'd like to be able to go with this release to take advantage of the bug fixes. I'm also debating whether to include the bump to kernel 4.9.80.

-Tim

Start moOde 4.0 to 4.1 update
** Do you have a backup of your moOde 4.0 SDCard (y/n)? y
** File system check
** Upgrading Raspbian...
** Step 1-9: Updating package list...
** Step 2-9: Upgrading installed packeges...
** Raspbian upgrade complete
** Step 3-9: SQL updates
** Step 4-9: Config updates
** Step 5-9: Code updates
** Step 6-9: Bin updates
** Step 7-9: File system updates
** Step 8-9: Reset accent color to Alizarin
** Step 9-9: Flushing cached writes...
Update installed, REBOOT required
pi@moode:~ $

I've been running 4.12 since December and all works well. I've been waiting to see if anyone else has a problem with Windows phone and GUI.
I can't get a usable GUI of 4.12 on my Windows Phone 8.1, everything works fine on my PC with Win 10. It did work fine on 3.8.4.
I've cleared the phone browser cache, reset it, cursed at it and talked to it nicely to no avail.
Any one have any suggestions?

Moode 4.0 Nas Source

I just installed Moode 4.0 (4.0 2018-01-26) and enjoyed the Radio music on my Chord Hugo2.

I am unable to setup my new NAS. I get a mount error. Any hints of how to correct this? How do I see the moode.log?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Rick

NAS Source
Mount error: Click to view moode.log for message text.

Source name
ckwd16tb2

Fileshare protocol
SMB/CIFS

Host or IP address

Remote directory

Public/Shared Music/Music

User id admin

Password •••••••••••••

Advanced
Charset
UTF8 (default)
Rsize

Wsize

Mount flags

ro,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777

I just installed Moode 4.0 (4.0 2018-01-26) and enjoyed the Radio music on my Chord Hugo2.

I am unable to setup my new NAS. I get a mount error. Any hints of how to correct this? How do I see the moode.log?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Rick

NAS Source

Source name
ckwd16tb2

Fileshare protocol
SMB/CIFS

Host or IP address

Remote directory

User id admin

Password •••••••••••••

Advanced
Charset
UTF8 (default)
Rsize

Wsize

Mount flags

Open NAS config again and click the mount error to show the log

Post the error and I'll have a look

Thanks.

Best regards,
Rick

NAS Source

Source name
ckwd16tb2

Fileshare protocol
SMB/CIFS

Host or IP address

Remote directory

User id admin

Password •••••••••••••

Advanced
Charset
UTF8 (default)
Rsize

Wsize

Mount flags

Add

sec=ntlm,vers=1.0

To end of the mount string. Or vers=2.0 might work.

Phil

Hi,

Starting to test moOde 4.0 --> 4.1 update :) I'm going to delay its release for a bit to get some test time with the just released MPD 0.20.18. I'd like to be able to go with this release to take advantage of the bug fixes. I'm also debating whether to include the bump to kernel 4.9.80.

-Tim

Start moOde 4.0 to 4.1 update
** Do you have a backup of your moOde 4.0 SDCard (y/n)? y
** File system check
** Upgrading Raspbian...
** Step 1-9: Updating package list...
** Step 2-9: Upgrading installed packeges...
** Raspbian upgrade complete
** Step 3-9: SQL updates
** Step 4-9: Config updates
** Step 5-9: Code updates
** Step 6-9: Bin updates
** Step 7-9: File system updates
** Step 8-9: Reset accent color to Alizarin
** Step 9-9: Flushing cached writes...
Update installed, REBOOT required
pi@moode:~ $

As long as the update doesn't try to override our 4.14.x kernels.