Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

closed account
Joined 2007
Hi,
Short story I have moved away from volumio mainly for ES9028 support on moode which I like a lot.
Two major downsides since switching, I should mention both were plung and play in volumio:
1. can't copy files over the network to the raspberry attached usb drive.

Use scp (remember to sudo). I use it from within mode. ssh, then scp from my computer to moode. man is your friend.

2. RTL8811 AC usb wifi is not supported, which used to make transferring files reasonably fast also can't/don't really use the built in card from rp3 as the system is in a metal case .

Any soft of help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cannot help here, I use a wired connection into a switch.

I am not adding more details, there is plenty of info on the internet on how to use ssh and scp. You could be a bit less rude to Tim, for instance.

Roberto

Use scp (remember to sudo). I use it from within mode. ssh, then scp from my computer to moode. man is your friend.

Cannot help here, I use a wired connection into a switch.

I am not adding more details, there is plenty of info on the internet on how to use ssh and scp. You could be a bit less rude to Tim, for instance.

Roberto

I use all you described to check file configs, etc.. if you mean for me to use these to get files transferred I think you miss the point of ease of use and you want to stick with making it useful only for people with good knowledge about these things.

How I am rude when I am the customer in a way?!? I think some acknowledgment is in order.
Also as long as you are not annoyed as well can you tell me if there is a good ac wifi card I can use?
Also using USB sick the issue is still there so has nothing to do with hdd, power , etc.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Thanks for update but doing simple test with USB stick proved that indeed there is an issue as I have exactly the same behavior.

Then it points to your network being the problem.... you've tested the hardware and 2 different drives have a problem.
Other users have it working ootb so not a software problem with MoOde.
Points to network being troublesome.... check your router settings..;)

Then it points to your network being the problem.... you've tested the hardware and 2 different drives have a problem.
Other users have it working ootb so not a software problem with MoOde.
Points to network being troublesome.... check your router settings..;)

Is this possible? I mean exactly same hardware with volumio or runeaudio it works - file access and transfer.
My router is a synology ac2600 and have no special setup on it and rpi3 is wired for now, no wifi setup.

Originally Posted by biotronik View Post
Hi,
Short story I have moved away from volumio mainly for ES9028 support on moode which I like a lot.

Interesting - I one of the dac boards I use is the same chinese board you show in your post. What settings are you using to avoid the glitches some of us get (clicks and pops between tracks, hisses and noise between different sample rates etc)? Thanks Adrian

Hi,

Interesting - I one of the dac boards I use is the same chinese board you show in your post. What settings are you using to avoid the glitches some of us get (clicks and pops between tracks, hisses and noise between different sample rates etc)? Thanks Adrian

I just use what is listed as audiophonics 9028 model, are noises a thing? should mention that the opamp is changed to two mono ones but this shouldn't matter.
How fast this becomes apparent ? I mean I listened to track after track but no hours of listening as I am still struggling to make moode work as intended.
I might need to revert back to volumio with pcm5122 or es9023 if I don't get a fix soon.

Hi,

Also forgot to mention I have around 25000 uf of liner power supply filtering only for the dac part, pi is powered from another line, does this matter?!? don't know.

Hi biotronik,

I'll wade in with my experiences on your two points. They may not provide fixes but could help you troubleshoot.

1. can't copy files over the network to the raspberry attached usb drive.
2. RTL8811 AC usb wifi is not supported, which used to make transferring files reasonably fast also can't/don't really use the built in card from rp3 as the system is in a metal case .

1. What is the free size on the network drive reported by Windows? I had an issue (unresolved) where I could not copy files to the USB drive over the network because the reported free space was only a few MBs whereas the actual free space was a few hundred GBs. I ascertained that the reported free space for the USB drive was exactly the same as the reported free space on the RPi's SD card. When I extended the Moode file system to use the entire card, this changed the reported free space to several GBs. While this did not fix the underlying issue it did allow me to copy files of reasonably large size to the USB drive over the network.

2. WiFi cards are unfortunately a lucky dip when it comes to the RPi and all its streamlined Linux kernels. I have plenty of wifi dongles that work well on desktop Ubuntu but don't work with many of the Pi OSes.

Don't forget that a high spec AC card will still be limited to the throughput of the USB 2 bus on the RPi which I think is (a theoretical) 433 Mbps. The highest spec card I have successfully used with Moode 3.8.4 is a Netgear WNDA4100 which is based on a Ralink chipset and has a max speed of 450 Mbps on either 2.4 or 5 GHz. Realtek chipsets often seem to need custom driver installations to work. You can see details of this for a Netgear adapter based on the RTL8811AU listed on WikiDevi.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Richard

Last edited:
Hi biotronik,

I'll wade in with my experiences on your two points. They may not provide fixes but could help you troubleshoot.

1. What is the free size on the network drive reported by Windows? I had an issue (unresolved) where I could not copy files to the USB drive over the network because the reported free space was only a few MBs whereas the actual free space was a few hundred GBs. I ascertained that the reported free space for the USB drive was exactly the same as the reported free space on the RPi's SD card. When I extended the Moode file system to use the entire card, this changed the reported free space to several GBs. While this did not fix the underlying issue it did allow me to copy files of reasonably large size to the USB drive over the network.

2. WiFi cards are unfortunately a lucky dip when it comes to the RPi and all its streamlined Linux kernels. I have plenty of wifi dongles that work well on desktop Ubuntu but don't work with many of the Pi OSes.

Don't forget that a high spec AC card will still be limited to the throughput of the USB 2 bus on the RPi which I think is (a theoretical) 433 Mbps. The highest spec card I have successfully used with Moode 3.8.4 is a Netgear WNDA4100 which is based on a Ralink chipset and has a max speed of 450 Mbps on either 2.4 or 5 GHz. Realtek chipsets often seem to need custom driver installations to work. You can see details of this for a Netgear adapter based on the RTL8811AU listed on WikiDevi.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Richard

Thank you,

See this is what I needed something to work with not blaming everything else but the problem.

1. Sounds exactly like my problem as I get the not enough space warning. IF this is an issue and seems to be fairly common, is there a workaround or fix - I guess not.
2. I am fully aware of the USB2 limitations but having that fast chipset did improve a lot transfer rate compared to the built in rpi3 wifi card.
Tried to install the driver myself last night but the image is missing / not up to date with the latest stuff so it failed after making the driver as it could not find the kernel folders to place it in.
references if anyone interested but seems to need 4.9.41-v7+

sudo git clone GitHub - gnab/rtl8812au: Realtek 802.11n WLAN Adapter Linux driver

cd rtl8812au

modified the Makefile

sudo nano Makefile

CONFIG_PLATFORM_I386_PC = n

CONFIG_PLATFORM_ARM_RPI = y

Ctrl + X, Enter to exit and save

sudo chmod +x install.sh

sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel-headers build-essential

sudo ./install.sh

last step was to disable built in one

Add the following lines to the file /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf (if it not exists, then create it)

blacklist brcmfmac
blacklist brcmutil

All credited to the people of the internet who are providing answers if they know them.

Last edited:
So you didn’t use the ‘expand SD card’ option?

And you knew you were getting an error message, but chose not to impart that info?

But chose, instead, to slag off a product that was not as good as free ones?

Read the docs, look at the config screens, pass on error messages you know about, then when you have exhausted all the possibilities, maybe you can tell us all what a crap product you got for your $10.

So you didn’t use the ‘expand SD card’ option?

And you knew you were getting an error message, but chose not to impart that info?

But chose, instead, to slag off a product that was not as good as free ones?

Read the docs, look at the config screens, pass on error messages you know about, then when you have exhausted all the possibilities, maybe you can tell us all what a crap product you got for your $10.

I had no idea about this until the above user mentioned it. That is not a fix for me if it limits me for the usable size of the SD card. Error message was mentioned from the beggining if you can be bothered to read and not get defensive.
I get it, you don't like the new guy asking questions, I am not here to be part of a nerd curch, I want to use my thing the way it should work and move on.
Life is short, don't need sarcastic comments I should know the answers to by reading all your documentation in the world, official documentation was read to set it up, enough for me.

Know I think I do understand why people move on from this if they have the smallest problem.

Last edited:
It doesn’t limit you to the size of the SD card. You have no space left for your OS - the Pi doesnt have dram or sdram, it uses the sd card. Your available partition was full, it had no space left to shuffle things around. The error log would have told you that with a little bit of Google fu.

You’ve got an attitude problem that got in the way of a speedy resolution. Sucks.

It doesn’t limit you to the size of the SD card. You have no space left for your OS - the Pi doesnt have dram or sdram, it uses the sd card. Your available partition was full, it had no space left to shuffle things around. The error log would have told you that with a little bit of Google fu.

You’ve got an attitude problem that got in the way of a speedy resolution. Sucks.

I think you are talking different problems, I have no problems with SD card access and size (using default image) -can write to it just fine, I have a problem with usb drive error : not enough space to copy a song like the above user reported and not solved apparently.

I think everyone here is missing something important for user base growth and popularity of a system.
I am moving on from a working setup and want to use this one as an alternative and let me down, getting here got some useful info but most of it was non important spiteful communication because of my frustration - if people do see it this you can expect growth in popularity.
No one needs to bend over for me but please don't waste my time if you have nothing useful to add - not talking about you.

Last edited:
Well, I can't even see my Pi/sd card/usb drive on my PC WiFi network, let alone copy files to my usb drive. I use a wifi extender and according to my router network map my network ends there. No problem controlling moode from my web browser on the PC or from my ipad. When I need to update my usb drive I just plug it into the PC. I would be interested to know why it's not showing up on my network.

Well, I can't even see my Pi/sd card/usb drive on my PC WiFi network, let alone copy files to my usb drive. I use a wifi extender and according to my router network map my network ends there. No problem controlling moode from my web browser on the PC or from my ipad. When I need to update my usb drive I just plug it into the PC. I would be interested to know why it's not showing up on my network.

I understand dac cards, wifi cards support to be limited in support but file access should be a core part of any of these systems and made to work without issues.

I understand dac cards, wifi cards support to be limited in support but file access should be a core part of any of these systems and made to work without issues.

I think a great part of your problem is that you have a very complex 'non-standard' set up for your Pi that introduces a wide range of elements that can cause problems in use. From my own experience, these problems are often not consistent and can manifest themselves seemingly at random.

The key ones I have personally found troublesome are:
1. the PSU (is it supplying the 5.1v 2.5 amp specified by Raspberry? - 5v will not do and a lower amperage can cause problems with attached drives). I initially used a 5v wallwart I had to hand and this caused problems.

2. Interconnect from PSU to Pi - what you are using looks like a data cable and the internal wires are likely to be too thin. Check out the gauge of wire used for the approved Raspi wallwart - it is much heavier gauge than the average eBay data interconnect.

3. Are you sure the Moode OS file you downloaded was free of corruption after you flashed it? (I have had a range of problems caused by poor copies using WinDiskimager - I now use Etcher)

4. Did you try mapping the network drive using Samba as suggested earlier and by Kit1cat in the post above? - if you did you haven't reported back. Accessing via IP as you were doing can cause permission errors.

Best trouble-shoot all options before simply blaming the software for your woes. I have done that in the past and learnt the hard way that this is rarely the case - particularly if very few other users are getting the kind of errors you are experiencing.