Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Password on GUI and/or Shairport (Airplay)

Hi Tim & community,

I have a request for future updates, unless its already possible with some simple skills.

I have 2 RPIs running with Moode - The first 1 one running without issues. The 2nd one is in my office, connected to a WLAN with a lot of other devices/people. Yes the WLAN is protected, but still its shared with people who shouldn't be able to control my music ;)

Password protecting the GUI. I don't think it will be an immediate problem, but it would be a lot safer for me, if it was possible to set a password on the moodeaudio GUI. They need to find RPI either with the IP or the name of RPI to connect anyway. The password dont need to be long or complex, simple 4 digits will be suitable. I've researched a bit on this, and as far as I can read its been possible in the past.

For the time being I just disabled Airplay - but I would really like the ability to use it - but without a password on it I won't! It's visible to every single device on the same network (supporting the protocol). The shairport protocol supports password (see here GitHub - mikebrady/shairport-sync: AirPlay audio player. Shairport Sync adds multi-room capability with Audio Synchronisation).

I'm just unable to find the correct place to set it manually.

The file located at : "/usr/local/etc/shairport-sync.conf" dont seem to reflect the settings set in the GUI - or am I wrong?

Thank you.

Regards

Hi Tim & community,

I have a request for future updates, unless its already possible with some simple skills.

I have 2 RPIs running with Moode - The first 1 one running without issues. The 2nd one is in my office, connected to a WLAN with a lot of other devices/people. Yes the WLAN is protected, but still its shared with people who shouldn't be able to control my music ;)

Password protecting the GUI. I don't think it will be an immediate problem, but it would be a lot safer for me, if it was possible to set a password on the moodeaudio GUI. They need to find RPI either with the IP or the name of RPI to connect anyway. The password dont need to be long or complex, simple 4 digits will be suitable. I've researched a bit on this, and as far as I can read its been possible in the past.

For the time being I just disabled Airplay - but I would really like the ability to use it - but without a password on it I won't! It's visible to every single device on the same network (supporting the protocol). The shairport protocol supports password

The file located at : "/usr/local/etc/shairport-sync.conf" dont seem to reflect the settings set in the GUI - or am I wrong?

Thank you.

Regards

I think this resolves your problem: https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/issues/510

But... I would like to have a password option, both for Moode config and for airport.

You can remove the link to the config pages by editing the link out of the main HTML page, but it would be nice if it was available as an option in the configure>general sub-page.

Maybe an option for ver.4.01?

Last edited:
Hi Tim & community,

For the time being I just disabled Airplay - but I would really like the ability to use it - but without a password on it I won't! It's visible to every single device on the same network (supporting the protocol). The shairport protocol supports password (see here GitHub - mikebrady/shairport-sync: AirPlay audio player. Shairport Sync adds multi-room capability with Audio Synchronisation).

Thank you.

Regards

I think this resolves your problem: Shairport-sync Name * Issue #510 * mikebrady/shairport-sync * GitHub

But... I would like to have a password option, both for Moode config and for airport.

You can remove the link to the config pages by editing the link out of the main HTML page, but it would be nice if it was available as an option in the configure>general sub-page.

Maybe an option for ver.4.01?

Hi,

Using moOde password protected on workplace WLAN's seems like a pretty narrow usage scenario so unless I get more requests for it, adding pwd protect would be up to user.

Below is a simple recipe if u want to pwd protect the web root. As far as pwd protect Airplay just edit /usr/local/etc/shairport-sync.conf and uncomment the password param.

sudo sh -c "echo -n 'timcurtis:' >> /etc/nginx/.htpasswd"
sudo sh -c "openssl passwd -apr1 >> /etc/nginx/.htpasswd"
cat /etc/nginx/.htpasswd

sudo nano /etc/nginx/nginx.conf

Add the following two lines in the location block for the web root /
auth_basic "Restricted Content";
auth_basic_user_file /etc/nginx/.htpasswd;

location / {
root /var/www;
index index.html index.php;
try_files $uri $uri/ /coverart.php;
}

sudo systemctl restart nginx

-Tim

Not so much workplace for me, as fiddling teens. Locking max volume down is one of my “get off my lawn” triggers :)

But yes, a narrow usage scenario...

And, a case of “do as I say, not as I do”, as I am beating the heck out of my system while the wife is out - saying goodbye to an old pair of speakers that are going to a new home tomorrow... letting my inner prof rock out for a run :eek:

Attachments

• 81E0C433-189E-482A-8009-181F91179C31.jpeg
    81E0C433-189E-482A-8009-181F91179C31.jpeg
    842.4 KB · Views: 325
Hi, Tim

A horizontal scrollbar appears in the library view.
It doesn't in the browse and playback view.

Is it intentional?
I think it is useless as there is no sufficient room for the bar to move and it consumes
vertical space.

I checked it on chrome, firefox, IE and Edge browsers on Windows 10 in Japanese environment.

Attachments

• moode.PNG
    moode.PNG
    112.4 KB · Views: 338
Hi Tim and community,

First of all thanks a ton for all the effort and work everyone puts into this project.

I propose adding another mount option via webinterface: SSHFS

Right now, I set it up myself via SSH. On long-term it would be great to integrate SSHFS mounts into the Web GUI.

My personal usecase is that I access my music collection stored on a dedicated server via Internet in more than one physical location (two appartements and office).

Therefore, for me SSHFS is a much better choice than SMB/CIFS or NFS.

I guess I might be not the only one who would appreciate this.

Hallo Tim and community

Is it possible to use the new Terry-Berry DAC 2 under MoOde 3.8.4 via the IS2 interface? If so, which audio device description must be taken?

Thank you.

Best regards

Try the Mamboberry HIFI DAC+ setting.

It looks li,e a very interesting DAC. I don’t know whether you will be able to use all of its features until there is a native driver for it, but it should sound great.

My cousin is in PNG and he’s an audio head...I’ll PM you. :)

Last edited:
In the library and browse view there is a lot of place in the upper part. Is it possible to add volume control there ? I am browsing through my musik, choosing one album, starting to play it, than i have to change playback window to adjust volume. Sometimes i am missing the possibilyty to have all controls on one screen, like in LMS. :)
LMS.jpg

Hi, Tim

A horizontal scrollbar appears in the library view.
It doesn't in the browse and playback view.

Is it intentional?
I think it is useless as there is no sufficient room for the bar to move and it consumes
vertical space.

I checked it on chrome, firefox, IE and Edge browsers on Windows 10 in Japanese environment.

Hi,

I only test with Safari and it has auto-hiding scrollbars. I never see a horizontal scrollbar.

On Chrome try: chrome://flags and enable overlay scrollbars. Also I think there is a way to save the Browser window as an App similar to "Add to Home Screen" on IOS. This gets rid of the Browser decorations.

-Tim

Hi Tim and community,

First of all thanks a ton for all the effort and work everyone puts into this project.

I propose adding another mount option via webinterface: SSHFS

Right now, I set it up myself via SSH. On long-term it would be great to integrate SSHFS mounts into the Web GUI.

My personal usecase is that I access my music collection stored on a dedicated server via Internet in more than one physical location (two appartements and office).

Therefore, for me SSHFS is a much better choice than SMB/CIFS or NFS.

I guess I might be not the only one who would appreciate this.

Hi,

If I get more requests for it I'll add to the TODO list.

-Tim

In the library and browse view there is a lot of place in the upper part. Is it possible to add volume control there ? I am browsing through my musik, choosing one album, starting to play it, than i have to change playback window to adjust volume. Sometimes i am missing the possibilyty to have all controls on one screen, like in LMS. :)
View attachment 640156

Hi,

I can have a look at maybe adding back the popup volume control that used to be included.

-Tim

Hi,

Using moOde password protected on workplace WLAN's seems like a pretty narrow usage scenario so unless I get more requests for it, adding pwd protect would be up to user.

Below is a simple recipe if u want to pwd protect the web root. As far as pwd protect Airplay just edit /usr/local/etc/shairport-sync.conf and uncomment the password param.

sudo sh -c "echo -n 'timcurtis:' >> /etc/nginx/.htpasswd"

sudo sh -c "openssl passwd -apr1 >> /etc/nginx/.htpasswd"

cat /etc/nginx/.htpasswd

sudo nano /etc/nginx/nginx.conf

Add the following two lines in the location block for the web root /

location / {

root /var/www;

index index.html index.php;

try_files $uri $uri/ /coverart.php;

}

sudo systemctl restart nginx

-Tim

Seems doable even for a noob like me. Thank you for the guide.
But yes workplace wlan is quite narrow. Thou I think the password option is not just for workplaces but also for other environments.

Looking forward for the new iteration of Moode :)