Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi
Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2016, 07:17 PM   #3191
wieniu26 is offline wieniu26  Poland
diyAudio Member

Hi
If you work with TR 5 RPi3 + Soekris?
I have a problem '' Nothing Selected "
With TR3 is ok
Old 27th May 2016, 07:38 PM   #3192
TheOldPresbyope is offline TheOldPresbyope  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicray View Post
Thanks for the follow up. Clearly it's something wrong with my setup, but I cannot figure it out. Just to complicate matters further, one album (out of five) does display the album art correctly. I too am using r26-tr5.

Does anybody have additional ideas? If all else fails, I might just convert the WMAs to FLACs using foobar2000.

Thanks.
[[Sorry, folks, the limited functionality of the "quote in reply" option makes it too hard to maintain a running summary of a subthread. You'll just have to keep up <grin>.]]

After a series of experiments, I've convinced myself there are subtle differences in the way Moode Player (or more likely the plugins in the MPD server at the core of Moode Player) deals with album art associated with WMA and MP3 files.

case 1: take some WMA files which have neither text tags nor embedded album art, put them in a folder on my NAS, update the MPD DB, point Moode Player at the folder, and hit "clear/play". It plays the WMA files while displaying the default "moOde audio player" graphic.

case 2: add an image file named Folder.jpg to the folder containing the WMA files. Try various things to update Moode just in case. Now Moode player displays this image while playing the WMA files.

case 3: start over again with a new set of WMA files which do have text tags and embedded album art, put them in a folder on my NAS, update the MPD DB, point Moode Player at the folder, and hit "clear/play". It plays the WMA files while displaying their embedded album art.

case 4: add an image file named Folder.jpg to the folder containing these new WMA files. Try various things to update Moode just in case. Now Moode player displays this image while playing the WMA files, *despite* the fact that the individual files still have their own embedded album art (or if they have none, as in the first trial I reported to leicray).

case 5: delete the Folder.jpg file, repeat the various things to update just in case, and --- uh oh --- now Moode player displays the default "moOde audio player" graphic while playing the WMA files, again *despite* the fact that the individual files still have their own embedded album art.

At this point I don't seem to be able to do anything which will restore my folder to case 3. I can however, reliably alternate between case 4 and case 5. Seriously, I've cleared caches, updated MPD DB, restarted the NAS, the PC, the Moode Player, yada yada yada. If there's a magic combination to clear all relevant caches I missed, then in my opinion it's too complicated to belong in an "appliance." (To be honest, I didn't think these actions would make any difference, but I didn't want to leave the door open.)

Contrast this to my test cases with MP3 handling. Moode player, while playing my test MP3 files, displays the embedded album art if it is present, else the Folder.jpg image if it is present, else the default "moOde audio player" image, regardless of the order in which I do things. I confess I haven't tested as thoroughly with MP3 as with WMA and didn't even consider FLAC but that's just because I'm growing weary of all the clicking, typing, and, um, swearing.

Until liecray first reported his difficulty, I had worked only with MP3 and FLAC files, already prepped with metadata including embedded album art, organized into folders with appropriate Folder.jpg files, and then copied to my NAS. Everything "just worked". It's clear to me in retrospect that the combination of my workflow and my choice of encoding/file format probably minimized my risk of falling into similar difficulty. Blissful ignorance!

Regards,
Kent
Old 27th May 2016, 08:41 PM   #3193
TimCurtis is offline TimCurtis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPresbyope View Post
[[Sorry, folks, the limited functionality of the "quote in reply" option makes it too hard to maintain a running summary of a subthread. You'll just have to keep up <grin>.]]

After a series of experiments, I've convinced myself there are subtle differences in the way Moode Player (or more likely the plugins in the MPD server at the core of Moode Player) deals with album art associated with WMA and MP3 files.

case 1: take some WMA files which have neither text tags nor embedded album art, put them in a folder on my NAS, update the MPD DB, point Moode Player at the folder, and hit "clear/play". It plays the WMA files while displaying the default "moOde audio player" graphic.

case 2: add an image file named Folder.jpg to the folder containing the WMA files. Try various things to update Moode just in case. Now Moode player displays this image while playing the WMA files.

case 3: start over again with a new set of WMA files which do have text tags and embedded album art, put them in a folder on my NAS, update the MPD DB, point Moode Player at the folder, and hit "clear/play". It plays the WMA files while displaying their embedded album art.

case 4: add an image file named Folder.jpg to the folder containing these new WMA files. Try various things to update Moode just in case. Now Moode player displays this image while playing the WMA files, *despite* the fact that the individual files still have their own embedded album art (or if they have none, as in the first trial I reported to leicray).

case 5: delete the Folder.jpg file, repeat the various things to update just in case, and --- uh oh --- now Moode player displays the default "moOde audio player" graphic while playing the WMA files, again *despite* the fact that the individual files still have their own embedded album art.

At this point I don't seem to be able to do anything which will restore my folder to case 3. I can however, reliably alternate between case 4 and case 5. Seriously, I've cleared caches, updated MPD DB, restarted the NAS, the PC, the Moode Player, yada yada yada. If there's a magic combination to clear all relevant caches I missed, then in my opinion it's too complicated to belong in an "appliance." (To be honest, I didn't think these actions would make any difference, but I didn't want to leave the door open.)

Contrast this to my test cases with MP3 handling. Moode player, while playing my test MP3 files, displays the embedded album art if it is present, else the Folder.jpg image if it is present, else the default "moOde audio player" image, regardless of the order in which I do things. I confess I haven't tested as thoroughly with MP3 as with WMA and didn't even consider FLAC but that's just because I'm growing weary of all the clicking, typing, and, um, swearing.

Until liecray first reported his difficulty, I had worked only with MP3 and FLAC files, already prepped with metadata including embedded album art, organized into folders with appropriate Folder.jpg files, and then copied to my NAS. Everything "just worked". It's clear to me in retrospect that the combination of my workflow and my choice of encoding/file format probably minimized my risk of falling into similar difficulty. Blissful ignorance!

Regards,
Kent
Hi Kent,

#3 can't happen because Zend media plugin that is used by coverart.php module to extract cover art does not support WMA format. Take a look at /var/www/coverart.php. U were experiencing "cache not really being cleared syndrome".

WMA is sort of a zombie format anyway. Thankfully MPD can still decode it.

-Tim
Old 27th May 2016, 08:42 PM   #3194
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicray View Post
It's clearly something to do with my NAS configuration. If I copy all of the misbehaving albums to a USB drive and mount that directly on the Pi then all of album art displays correctly. I cannot figure out the basis of the problem when the files are served from the NAS which is a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo v2 in case that helps with prompting suggestions.

Many thanks,

Raymond
Actually, after the testing I just reported, I think I was too quick to blame the NAS configuration in and of itself [1] but it's going to take some more work, or some insight from Tim, or both to figure out what's going on. Now that you mention it, I should have repeated my test cases using a directly connected USB drive.

At the time of my first reply, I was thinking this might be a permissions/ACL issue, but that doesn't square with the results of my test case sequence 3/4/5 nor with the differences I observed between WMA and MP3 files. As well, during this testing, I was always able to access the same WMA files on the NAS from another host running, say, VLC player and see the embedded album art as the files play, so involvement of Moode/MPD seems indicated. What I also didn't do was bring up MPD on a regular Linux host and see if it exhibits the same behavior.

Isn't this fun !?!

Regards,
Kent

[1] My late wife used to complain that I sound like I know what I'm talking about even when I didn't. This may have annoyed her but it was considered an asset by my upper management, especially when it came time to pitch research projects to prospective sponsors!
Old 27th May 2016, 08:44 PM   #3195
TimCurtis is offline TimCurtis  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Just a heads-up that I'm planning to release Moode 2.6 this weekend pending release of new version of shairport-sync that fixes a particularly nasty bug that seems to have awakened recently.

-Tim
Old 27th May 2016, 08:55 PM   #3196
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCurtis View Post
Hi Kent,

#3 can't happen because Zend media plugin that is used by coverart.php module to extract cover art does not support WMA format. Take a look at /var/www/coverart.php. U were experiencing "cache not really being cleared syndrome".

WMA is sort of a zombie format anyway. Thankfully MPD can still decode it.

-Tim
Whoa. That's the trouble with trying to do naive black-box testing. I feel like one of the proverbial blind men feeling the elephant. It might be a blessing if MPD simply dropped the ability to decode WMA, but you didn't hear it from me

Thanks for setting me straight.

Regards,
Kent
Old 27th May 2016, 09:26 PM   #3197
meldano is offline meldano  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wieniu26 View Post
Hi
If you work with TR 5 RPi3 + Soekris?
I have a problem '' Nothing Selected "
With TR3 is ok
Any solution?
Old 28th May 2016, 06:10 AM   #3198
carsten.witt is offline carsten.witt  Germany
diyAudio Member

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

same here :-(
Old 28th May 2016, 09:54 AM   #3199
PHorsefield is offline PHorsefield
diyAudio Member

Hi Tim,

I've got Moode Audio Player (2.6 Test Release 4) installed and working on my Raspberry Pi 3, with Kazoo on Windows and iPad as the control point and Minimserver running on a QNAP NAS.

I want to use the Openhome multi-room feature to sync the Pi with my Linn DS, with the Linn DS as the master. Should this work as I'm having some problems?

Kazoo on Windows shows the Pi renderer but without the group button underneath it.

Kazoo on iPad shows the Pi renderer with the group button, but only the option of having my main system play what the Pi is playing. Selecting this causes Kazoo to crash and is actually the opposite of what I want, as I want the Pi to play what the main system is playing.

Thanks
Paul
Old 28th May 2016, 02:26 PM   #3200
onionhead is offline onionhead  United States
diyAudio Member

Smile Accessing NAS via NFS

Have Pi 3 connected to wifi and it works great except I am unable to access the music files on Synology NAS. The error message seems to indicate that NAS is looking for certain credentials i. e. account name and password. At least I think that is the issue. I have included a couple of screen shots and would like some comments and suggestions on how to solve connection between Pi 3 and NAS. Thanks

MAC OSx
Synology DS415play
Pi 3
Hifi berry DAC Pro
Moode TR5
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 7.10.10 AM.png (87.0 KB, 126 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 7.13.55 AM.png (55.9 KB, 117 views)

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry PiHide this!Advertise here!