Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

recomendations for DSP development platform
recomendations for DSP development platform
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2015, 07:20 PM   #1
davygrvy is offline davygrvy  United States
diyAudio Member

Question recomendations for DSP development platform

Hi,

I'm looking to prove an idea, but I'm not sure a typical PC running a head-less linux distro would suffice.

I need to take multiple channels of input. For now, 8 discrete channels on AES/EBU, but that may change to HDMI later if possible without Dolby licensing rights. Output would be to AVB streams (possible 21 streams) using the services of OpenAVB along with a proper NIC such as an Intel I210.

I need to process the eight discrete channels for a multi-way 7.1 theater system doing a relatively complex matrix.

Off-board DSP engine?
Old 16th February 2015, 09:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Too bad the UAD-2 PCIe DSP Accelerator Cards are worthless under Linux
Old 17th February 2015, 01:30 AM   #3
bohdan1232000 is offline bohdan1232000  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davygrvy View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to prove an idea, but I'm not sure a typical PC running a head-less linux distro would suffice.

I need to take multiple channels of input. For now, 8 discrete channels on AES/EBU, but that may change to HDMI later if possible without Dolby licensing rights. Output would be to AVB streams (possible 21 streams) using the services of OpenAVB along with a proper NIC such as an Intel I210.

I need to process the eight discrete channels for a multi-way 7.1 theater system doing a relatively complex matrix.

Off-board DSP engine?

Hi Dave,

I run 8in AES/EBU to 16Out AES/EBU DSP processor called Ultimate Equalizer. This is followed by miniDSP ICE-PWR AES/EBU amplifiers in various configurations, from 60W/8ohm to 250W/8ohm.

If this is sufficient for you, then you can find more information on http://www.bodziosoftware.com.au/

Best Regards,
Bohdan
Old 17th February 2015, 06:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Interesting.. How do I build one myself with open source software to run on Linux and replace the direct output to AVB streams? 16 output isn't enough. I'll need at least 21
Old 17th February 2015, 07:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

For software, maybe BruteFIR along with DRC (?). But at 21 streams of deep filtering at 24b/96k I don't think I'll have enough horsepower unless I off-load the work. I'll almost sure of it
Old 17th February 2015, 10:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Oh, BruteFIR uses FFTW for the FFT engine. The CUDA toolkit from nVidia has a drop-in replacement called CUFFT for off-loading to the GPU.

rad!
Old 18th February 2015, 03:27 PM   #7
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you'll still be good on a modern processor. He (Anders) quotes this in the brutefir description:

Quote:
With a massive convolution configuration file setting up BruteFIR to run 26 filters, each 131072 taps long, each connected to its own input and output (that is 26 inputs and outputs), meaning a total of 3407872 filter taps, a 1 GHz AMD Athlon with 266 MHz DDR RAM gets about 90% processor load, and can successfully run it in real time. The sample rate was 44.1 kHz, BruteFIR was compiled with 32 bit floating point precision, and the I/O delay was set to 375 ms. The sound card used was an RME Audio Hammerfall.
That processor is probably outpaced by most cell phone SOC nowadays, so I think you'll be good.
Old 18th February 2015, 05:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Like most things, I won't know until I try. But seeing there is an upgrade path, this looks like a solid choice and passes the sniff test.

CUFFT vs FFTW

CUFFT spanks FFTW only when the work to do is significant. Makes sense just like with multi-threaded programming. When the work to do isn't significant, the inter-thread communication, syncing and other properties of worker management takes precedence rather than the job.

One of these ought to do for taking the input.

I think I'm good to go.

recomendations for DSP development platformHide this!Advertise here!