Looking for Channel Swapping Software for Windows

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a program that allows me to turn a couple of my surround channels into subwoofer channels (or mono, if nothing else) so I can power my subwoofers with the same amplifier (7.1 capable) as the rest of my 5.1 setup. Windows doesn't seem to have native subwoofer presets that allow anything other than a subwoofer signal that gets passed on to a dedicated subwoofer amplifier.

I'm hoping to avoid buying a second amplifier just for some decent bass! Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: I also should mention that I'm trying to do this over HDMI. My previous receiver had analog multi-channel in, so I could simply plug the subwoofer out into one of the other channels. Unfortunately, my new receiver doesn't have more than analog stereo inputs, so I'm forced to use HDMI if I want proper surround.

Last edited:
JRiver MC can do this. It's free to try, license is $50.

I just installed it. So far I've messed around with the 'Output Format' section of the DSP studio. I see a lot of channel setup options, but nothing to change arbitrary channels into mono subwoofer channels. Maybe I'm missing something? There's a lot of 'mirroring stereo' capability that works nicely. Maybe there's a more specific per-channel mono-downmix option I'm not finding?

Also, as it is now, if I set up JRiver for my current 5.1 (using the Dolby Digital option) it seems to shut down the rest of my PC's audio: as if it's bypassing the APO or whatever system usually controls all audio in Windows and sending whatever it is playing directly to my receiver. Even the Windows volume function doesn't effect its output.

You can move channel assignments in the PEQ using the "mix channels" option. You would need to copy the sub channel wherever you want it and replace the original.

I think MC defaults to internal audio, so no your Windows volume won't work, volume control is done in mc.

Thanks. I'll try that. I'm guessing it won't work for everything I do on the PC, but it could be nice for music and movies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.