Archphile - An Archlinux Based Audiophile Distribution for Raspberry Pi and Udoo Quad

Is there an audio advantage to do this?

Although the computer CPU will be intermittent in the delivery of packets, and let the packet too slow delivery, but the order of the packet is not chaos. Of course, it may be because the computer clock is not accurate, resulting in too slow or too fast delivery packet. But if the packet is too slow to be passed immediately to the DAC, the sound will be strange, so the packet may be too slow or too fast must be resolved first.

The order of the packets will not be destroyed so we have a chances to solve jitter from computer if the reclock board has enough buffer to make the data can be stored more , for example 44khz music signal will transmit delay at least 1 second, and it be solved too slow or too fast delivery packet. That's why when using Ian' FIFO, when you press to play music, you will always hear the sound after one second. It's to solve the tolerances between clocks. It uses the better MCK to continue to pass the data orderly read from the buffer.

Relatively, if the buffer is not big enough, no way to solve too slow or too fast delivery packet , for example less than 1 second delay, and it is difficult using the better MCK to pass the information more correctly.

FIFO itself maybe not necessary, but the main useful because his buffer is big enough and send the packet back to the DAC using a better quality clock chip. The whole process is called reclock.

In archphile, CPU Cores Isolation, that core 1 is only used by MPD and everything else is handled by cores 2 and 3, can slightly reduce the problems caused by that computer CPU will be intermittent in the delivery of packets because core 1 will be more focused on processing and sending out the music packet. However, according to my test, I found that the degree of improvement of CPU Cores Isolation is not very obvious, but it can improve the sound quality slightly, which is amazing.

Last edited:
Hello guys anyone can point me in the right direction to setup my wifi in the RPI3?
Tried the instructions here Configuring wifi in Linux with wpa_supplicant | George Ornbo (basically using wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli) but didn't succeed. Also it won't stick after I reboot..

When I run ifconfig wlan0 up The WLAN0 interface goes up like this but no ip.

Code:
wlan0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether <mac address >  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

I see there's a archphile-network.conf in /etc/systctl.d but can't figure out what I have to edit or how.. thanks!

Self answer for those searching!
I found a file called /etc/netctl/archphile-network where you uncomment and fill in details and stuff is automatically enabled. GOOD (by the way I did uncomment and filled in the wifi info and no more wired connection. Guess it makes sense!)

A real good distro, love it! Now to test it with the hifiberry amp..

Hello -

Sorry for the Linux newbie question. How do I bump MPD to the 21.2 version that's in the repository?

I'm searched the manual and the web but I must be missing something because I just get the same (older version) whenever I try to install.

Thanks for any help you can supply!

I have myMPD cover art problem.
Music is on NAS and SMB mounted to Archphile. Albums are in separate folders and covers are named as "folder.jpg". I change coverimage name to folder.jpg in /etc/mympd/option.
Database is updated, music is playing (very) fine, but instead of covers is message "Not Available !"
Same was on dietpi+mympd. Other web interfaces (Rompr, O!MPD ...) show cover normally.
Any ideas ?

Currently my kids have some issues with Librespot. I noticed that there were some issues lately which were fixed. Is it possible to update librespot in the current build? Or do we have to compile it from librespot-org sources? Any pointers would be welcome. Thanks.

(as a workaround I use Spotty via squeezelite, but my intention is to drop LMS in the near future).

Greetings, Martin

Hello all,

I have the same question: how to update Archphile or at least the librespot files. Hope this will be answered as the sound quality is very good and I would like to stay on it.

Thanks.
See the manual FAQ page 19:
"Please note, that although being an ArchlinuxARM distribution, Archphile is not a rolling release distro. Updating the system with pacman will 99,99% break most of the additional Archphile packages already installed"
https://archphile.org/manual/archphile-manual.pdf

My question is in fact how to update librespot as spotify sometime change some parameters and old versions of librespot doesn't work anymore, I had the case with a previous version of MoodeAudio.

Someone knows how to do? I see recent additionnal package here: "https://github.com/archphile/playground/tree/master/librespot-archphile" but I don't know how to install it.

Thanks