Archphile - An Archlinux Based Audiophile Distribution for Raspberry Pi and Udoo Quad

Bit perfect means, that exactly the same data was delivered in lets say 1 second, but says nothing about regurality of the data stream.

Indeed. That is why DACs have buffers and independent audio clocks.

I don't want to follow this flame war. For some people all cables sound the same, bit perfect sound the same, all dacs sound the same.

And for some people, all rational explanations, all evidence and all science sounds the same - "lalalalalalala! I can't hear you!". :)

The reason tuxx feels he is in a minority is that it takes no effort at all (intellectual or otherwise) to make claims and say "just listen". It takes a lot of effort to explain, present facts, and debunk woo. People who actually understand the technology (such as tuxx and phofman) have better things to do.

The explanation is pretty simple: I trust the code of Linux kernel and I believe that ondemand/interactive/performance governors do the job much better than me and you trying to limit the CPU capabilities by underclocking it.

I never expected that you are that clueless.
It never occurred to you that these governors underclock the CPUs all the time!
And all this causes quite some activity.

The discussed tweaks nail the CPUs at a certain frequency and disable
the governor management altogether.

I am really sick and tired of all this hi-end non-sense in computer audio lately.

"Archphile" - Ooohkaye.

At least you introduce/apply this or that tweak to keep the crowd happy.

People undecklocking or using a slighlty different kernel configuration or..... and all of a sudden everything changes, the sound becomes analogue, god visits the earth or whatever..

Look. Those who are questioning that and screaming SNAKEOIL are usually quite narrow minded SW folks. And are usually pretty clueless about the HW implications. That's the pity.

However. I do think it is not a smart idea to get involved in these discussions
as a maintainer. Just offer the stuff and let the crowd decide.

But telling those users who are enjoying and discussing the audiophile qualities of Archphile how foolish they are is really not that clever!

Enjoy.

Here they are some latency tests with normal and RT kernel by soundcheck

One would expect the RT kernel to produce lower latency, it is its job. The tests confirm the RT code of the kernel does work, good.

But these tests do not tell anything about audio output quality, only the chain's potential for lower propensity to xruns (which is certainly advantageous).

Hi Tuxx,

running the latest Alpha release on an RPi 3 --> usb-->Aune S6. Most things work just great. Except Librespot fails to run.

Code:
[root@archphile ~]# systemctl status librespot
● librespot.service - An open source client library for Spotify
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/librespot.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2018-05-13 11:39:41 EEST; 36s ago
 Main PID: 650 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

I tried different configs and also my RPi2, but same outcome. Any idea on this issue?

I currently switched to Spotifyd, and used the ARMv6 version. This runs perfectly on both RPi2 and 3.
Code:
[root@archphile ~]# systemctl status spotifyd
● spotifyd.service - A spotify playing daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/spotifyd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2018-04-24 03:32:13 EEST; 2 weeks 5 days ago
     Docs: [url=https://github.com/Spotifyd/spotifyd]GitHub - Spotifyd/spotifyd: A spotify daemon[/url]
 Main PID: 342 (spotifyd)
    Tasks: 3 (limit: 2302)
   CGroup: /system.slice/spotifyd.service
           └─342 /usr/bin/spotifyd --no-daemon

Thanks,

Martin

@pinkdot, please can you paste here all the info that alsacap command gives you?
Hi Tuxx,

Here you go:
Code:
[root@archphile ~]# alsacap
*** Scanning for playback devices ***
Card 0, ID `DAC', name `S6 USB DAC'
  Device 0, ID `USB Audio', name `USB Audio', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rate 44100..384000 Hz
    Sample formats: S32_LE, SPECIAL, DSD_U32_BE
      Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'