Vendetta Research TPC-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello chaps

i certainly hope that this is the correct forum for this.
in any case, i was wondering; for those of you that are familiar with John Curl's TPC- 1 phase coherent electronic X- over, if there was anyone out there that was doing upgrades. i purchased mine back in the 80's when i lived in the UK and other than changing the power supply it has performed very well. but i do believe that after thirty years that guts could probably use a change out for the more modern caps, resisters, etc. im not an EE (just a retired fighter pilot).
ive searched the web as best as i could, but i seem to get no where. so here i am asking for your help. i want to be able to use this X- over with my newest tube products (pre/power amp) and when i do i notice a distinct change in soundstaging (negatively) from the high pass. hence my thought that maybe the old vendetta needs some new shoes.
if anyone knows anything; your comments would be GREATLY appreciated

thank you in advance
lance
old and tired :confused:

A possible problem is that your hearing is not now as good as it once was; there is little you can do about that other than be aware of its true state.

I suggest that everyone over say 45 years of age has a full hearing test, especially those who have spent time in high noise environments.

It would be well worth having the power supply components brought up to full spec as JC infers above. But do use high quality modern equivalents.

EDIT:

HAving now seen your response to JC's post, I would suggest that you take the items to a really good repair shop and let them replace the off spec components in the existing power supply.

Last edited:
A possible problem is that your hearing is not now as good as it once was; there is little you can do about that other than be aware of its true state.

I suggest that everyone over say 45 years of age has a full hearing test, especially those who have spent time in high noise environments.

It would be well worth having the power supply components brought up to full spec as JC infers above. But do use high quality modern equivalents.

i agree wholeheartedly ( btw i get one every year and of course you are correct) i just need the info on exactly what power supply and the polarity on the tpc- 1 wires

thanks
lance

Actually the original power supply is OK, and it is difficult to change. I would just clean the connectors, make sure that the wall transformer is of adequate size (24Vac), and you get the best of this unit. IF you are not technical, you don't have to change anything, just clean it up.

You are in luck, I found a long lost schematic for the xover.

Attachments

• ven Xover.jpg
    ven Xover.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 331
Actually the original power supply is OK, and it is difficult to change. I would just clean the connectors, make sure that the wall transformer is of adequate size (24Vac), and you get the best of this unit. IF you are not technical, you don't have to change anything, just clean it up.

ah ha i knew it was something. recently i changed out the original wall transformer ( the plug was horrendous) i tried to match the it up and all i could read on it was what i thought to be 12V. WELL : now i'll get a 24VAC wall adapter . wow i sure hope i didnt do any damage

again thank you SIR
lance

Interesting to see this pop up here.

I'm lucky enough to own a TPC-1 (actually a TPC-1A), in addition to a SCP-2B.

John, if I could pick your brain for a second, do you recall what the slopes, and the input and output impedances of the crossover might be?

I also suspect that the electrolytics in my SCP-2B could use replacing after 23 years of continual use. Any thoughts on that? I am familiar with that Japanese page that shows a recapping.

Thanks;

Michael.

Resurrecting this thread.

I just got a hand on the TCP-1A, but my excitement is kind of short lived.

Upon opening the top cover, I discovered my unit may have been modified.

It don't seem to recall John Curl used Wonder Cap in Vendetta Research products, but I could be wrong.

The main throwback is soldering joints on those Wonder Cap, It seems a bit sloppy as compare to the rest of the unit. I have two SCP-2 phono preamps and soldering quality on those SCP-2 is top rated.

Would be anyone who own a TCP-1 so kindly verify their unit regarding my suspicion on capacitor modification in my unit?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    629.8 KB · Views: 128
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.