To Raspberry Pi/BeagleBone Black/CuBox/UDOO owners: RuneAudio is looking for testers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to everyone, after many years of lurking in this forum I decided to write my first post here, almost after 4 years since my subscription. It's never too late, isn't it? :)
I finally took the initiative because I'd like to collect the feedbacks of some volunteers for an open source project I'm involved in, so I'm asking here if somebody is interested.

I'm one of the developers behind RuneAudio project (www.runeaudio.com), where we are working on a free and open source software that turns embedded hardware into Hi-Fi music players. We said goodbye to the traditional PC used as computer audio digital source, and replaced it with cheap, silent and low-consumption mini-PCs, making them perform as an high fidelity digital sources. First platforms going to be supported are Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Pi, CuBox and UDOO; more of them are coming in the future.

The system runs on RuneOS, a custom built GNU Linux operating system, based on Arch Linux, and has MPD (Music Player Daemon) at his heart. As other similiar projects, we were inspired in the beginning from the well-known Voyage MPD distro (for x86 platforms).
In addition of researching the best sound quality, our other main goal was to make the player accessible and easy to use for everyone. We developed RuneUI, a cross platform web interface which works both as MPD client and system control panel, easy to use. Some of you may have already seen it in RaspyFi distro, for which we initially developed it.

Today we have released the first version of our software, still in beta and missing some interesting features, but functional to be tested in a traditional setup (music on a NAS, ethernet connection and USB DAC). We are now focusing on system optimization and sound quality at this early stage, and we would love to receive some feedbacks from users to confirm that we are going in the right direction. So my invitation to everybody interested in it is: download it, try it and tell us your impressions. You will give us a worthly contribute to improve the overall quality of our work.

You can download the .img file here:
Download | RuneAudio

Ciao!

Andrea

Could you please add wandboard to your list of supported devices?

You just need to compile the boot and make a new image.

What version of MPD are you using? Could you please give more details about the distribution?

+1 for the git (svn) repository request.

gj

Here is the git repository:
https://github.com/Runeaudio
You can find the RuneUI repo, but we still have to set up the RuneOS repo properly (we are working hard to release a beta version for each platform in these days).

@cmiu007: Wandboard is a good candidate too, we are counting on extending the list of certified devices in the future. Currently we don't have any Wandboard to test and develop on, we hope to put our hands on one of them soon.
Our distribution is built over Arch Linux and aims to be highly optimized for best audio quality from USB audio. We currently use 0.18.3 version of MPD.

...after many years of lurking in this forum I decided to write my first post here, almost after 4 years since my subscription...
[ /QUOTE]

Yep. Great forum.

I hope you learned a lot over the years and were able to gather plenty of nice and valuable information for your project.
A pity that you couldn't support -- not even a single post -- other inmates with your obvious in-depth knowledge during all those years.

Your project though seems to me just like another project out of numerous similar ongoing projects.

From my perspective a pity that you've chosen MPD after all those years lurking around over here.

Anyhow. I wish you all the best for your project.

Yep. Great forum.

I hope you learned a lot over the years and were able to gather plenty of nice and valuable information for your project.
A pity that you couldn't support -- not even a single post -- other inmates with your obvious in-depth knowledge during all those years.

Your project though seems to me just like another project out of numerous similar ongoing projects.

From my perspective a pity that you've chosen MPD after all those years lurking around over here.

Anyhow. I wish you all the best for your project.

Hello soundcheck, honestly I don't understand your reaction. One of the goals of RuneAudio was indeed having the opportunity to give back to the community the knowledge we gathered during the years.
We are putting our personal professional skills (web design, UI design, PHP and JS coding and Linux tuning) in an open source project, to deliver a free software that transforms cheap hardware in an Hi-Fi source. We didn't learn these skills in this forum.
I opened this thread here because I esteem this community and I wanted to share our work with its members. I didn't post anything before because I thought that I had nothing really interesting to share with other people. Now I have it, and here I am.

What's the problem with MPD anyway?

Hello soundcheck, honestly I don't understand your reaction. One of the goals of RuneAudio was indeed having the opportunity to give back to the community the knowledge we gathered during the years.
We are putting our personal professional skills (web design, UI design, PHP and JS coding and Linux tuning) in an open source project, to deliver a free software that transforms cheap hardware in an Hi-Fi source. We didn't learn these skills in this forum.
I opened this thread here because I esteem this community and I wanted to share our work with its members. I didn't post anything before because I thought that I had nothing really interesting to share with other people. Now I have it, and here I am.

What's the problem with MPD anyway?

I look your work.
Thanks for it.

Ciao ragazzi

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005

Well done! :) Let me know when you get the Beaglebone Black version working. I've been using my own homebrewed equivalent of Raspyfi for a year now. It works quite well on the Pi, though I still get the occasional glitch at 24/96 and above.

I recently tried it on the Beaglebone but couldn't get it to run stably at all, so hopefully you can do better. :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
One of my plans for the week I am not working over christmas will be to dig into a recently purchased Raspberry Pi, and an Arduino unit.

I was looking at the RaspyFI, but I will look into your system as well. Have you looked at all into using the GPIO for I2S output directly from the rPi? I am using USB input to my DAC currently, but plan on building a new DAC this spring which will take I2S directly. If I built the rPi into the case, it would be real hi fi network playing machine.

Edit : I see you have I2S on your radar in your forum. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, there have been some great developments in I2S, but I don't have the hacker skills to integrate it into my own music player setup. Would be great if someone could do it for us! :)

I think so far a few people have written their own customised drivers for various I2S DACs and so far they all run the DAC as a slave, with the Pi's I2S port generating the clocks. A generic driver that allowed you to choose master or slave mode, set MCLK division ratios, switch between external crystals with a GPIO pin and so on, would be awesome.

You can count me in as a BB tester! :)

Last edited:
Did everyone just go and ordered a BB? It is out of stock everywhere...
We got 3 boards from Farnell about 3 weeks ago. I just checked and i seems it's out of stock there too.
If you also plan to get a power adaptor, I would only suggest to pay attention to which one to buy, to avoid the mistake I made. I chose the model they suggested in combination to the BB, only to realize later that the plug was not the right one: mine was 4mm shorter and it made a loosy contact (2.1mm vs 2.5mm, the standard for BB). As they refused to replace them with the right ones, I had to buy an adapter plug... so make sure to check the plug type before buying.

Thanks for the info. I plan on using a linear low noise supply. Probably minimum gain as there should be plenty of local switching supplies in the board. But it it is always a good thing to prevent more noise from entering the system.
I totally agree. In my DIY experiences I learnt that the quality of the power supply usually has a relevant impact on the sound.
I saw many people in forums looking for projects to build a linear 5V on the cheap, to power on these single-pc boards. Do you have a good one to suggest to them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.