To Raspberry Pi/BeagleBone Black/CuBox/UDOO owners: RuneAudio is looking for testers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whats up with RuneAudio, Volumio and RaspyFi all using the same WebUI and underlying code?
The answer is simple: we started the development of the webUI under RaspyFi project, because it was the first distribution running on Raspberry Pi, platform which we owned at the time. RaspyFi project had a huge boost of popularity when the 1.0 version was released, thanks of our webUI (it was a simple Raspbian running MPD before our contribution).
In the meanwhile we were already working together with RaspyFi's founder Michelangelo Guarise on a new wider project called Tsunamp, but sadly things went wrong and we decided to abandon it and continue on different paths. We founded RuneAudio (rebuilding the distro from scratch based on Arch Linux) and Michelangelo founded Volumio (using our work of the webUI, in which he hadn't written any single line of code before that). That's why you can find our webUI in 3 different projects. I have to clear this point because most people does not know who really is behind that huge work and even thinks that RuneAudio is a fork of Volumio, when the concrete is quite different.

Whats up with RuneAudio, Volumio and RaspyFi all using the same WebUI and underlying code?

The answer is simple: we started the development of the webUI under RaspyFi project, because it was the first distribution running on Raspberry Pi, platform which we owned at the time. RaspyFi project had a huge boost of popularity when the 1.0 version was released, thanks of our webUI (it was a simple Raspbian running MPD before our contribution).
In the meanwhile we were already working together with RaspyFi's founder Michelangelo Guarise on a new wider project called Tsunamp, but sadly things went wrong and we decided to abandon it and continue on different paths. We founded RuneAudio (rebuilding the distro from scratch based on Arch Linux) and Michelangelo founded Volumio (using our work of the webUI, in which he hadn't written any single line of code before that). That's why you can find our webUI in 3 different projects. I have to clear this point because most people does not know who really is behind that huge work and even thinks that RuneAudio is a fork of Volumio, when the concrete is quite different.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Id just like to say that I think your UI design for the player is fantastic, and so is the RuneAudio design and branding.

My advice would be to forget about cross-platform and niche audio formats like 24/96 etc., and focus first on building a robust, feature rich player that offers easy setup and glitch-free playback for up to 16/44 format on Raspberry Pi.

You can add support for other audio formats and hardware platforms once you have a solid player.

Simplify :)

Id just like to say that I think your UI design for the player is fantastic, and so is the RuneAudio design and branding.
Thank you, we appreciate a lot when somebody recognizes the effort we put in this work.

My advice would be to forget about cross-platform and niche audio formats like 24/96 etc., and focus first on building a robust, feature rich player that offers easy setup and glitch-free playback for up to 16/44 format on Raspberry Pi.

You can add support for other audio formats and hardware platforms once you have a solid player.

Simplify :)
Yep, we are already doing that (take a look at che changelog of the last release I posted before), and we aim to a continuous improvement. Platform support is proceeding on a parallel way.

Cubieboard 2?

Hi Andrea

Really great project, and a great effort.
Do you have some plans for the cubieboard ? I have the version 1 and 2 (which is rather nice), bought it because it has spdif built in (all my dacs have spdif/toslink inputs).
I would be glad (and a friend of mine too) to participate ! btw I also have a cubox-i2 ultra but personally don't like the hardware too much

Best regards and greetings to Italy

Christoph

Last edited:
Few quick listening test, Rasp Model B, RuneAudio Beta 2, simple switching Power Supply, NAS with NFS access, Wired Ethernet, USB Amanero and I2s DAC ...

Really Less Click & Pop than using beta 1 :cool: Sound Quality is really good considering the cheap PSU, Isolation ....

Cannot beat for the moment regular Pc, Unbuntu, Clementine, Pulse audio disable, Alsa out hardware plug to Amanero, but come really close.

A question anyway, Amanero is recognized as default soundard (hw:0,0). The MPD configuration seems to route to this default device. But when testing (by ssh) with aplay (with -D default), the log shows rate converted to 48 Khz and use of Plug PCM Direct Stream Mixing PCM (pointless ?).

When using the WEBUI the sound rate seems to be unchanged, can U you confirm ?

This is looking very interesting and I’m seriously looking at getting a BBB to give it a go. My only concern is with storage. I don’t have a NAS at home. As there is only a single USB port on a BBB I could connect a USB hub and connect both my DAC and hard drive to it….but is there a better way? I’d rather not share the USB port that’s feeding the DAC. (or is this a dumb question? I'm just a rank beginner with computer audio)

Hi Andrea

Really great project, and a great effort.
Do you have some plans for the cubieboard ? I have the version 1 and 2 (which is rather nice), bought it because it has spdif built in (all my dacs have spdif/toslink inputs).
I would be glad (and a friend of mine too) to participate ! btw I also have a cubox-i2 ultra but personally don't like the hardware too much

Best regards and greetings to Italy

Christoph
Hi cgraf, I'm waiting a reply from Cubietech after asking for samples, as we currently don't have the board in our hands. It's our purpose to port RuneAudio to Cubieboard.

Few quick listening test, Rasp Model B, RuneAudio Beta 2, simple switching Power Supply, NAS with NFS access, Wired Ethernet, USB Amanero and I2s DAC ...

Really Less Click & Pop than using beta 1 :cool: Sound Quality is really good considering the cheap PSU, Isolation ....

Cannot beat for the moment regular Pc, Unbuntu, Clementine, Pulse audio disable, Alsa out hardware plug to Amanero, but come really close.
Have you tried to switch kernel profiles under MENU > Settings in the RuneUI? You could find the best system settings for your setup.

A question anyway, Amanero is recognized as default soundard (hw:0,0). The MPD configuration seems to route to this default device. But when testing (by ssh) with aplay (with -D default), the log shows rate converted to 48 Khz and use of Plug PCM Direct Stream Mixing PCM (pointless ?).

When using the WEBUI the sound rate seems to be unchanged, can U you confirm ?
I'm going to investigate this.

This is looking very interesting and I’m seriously looking at getting a BBB to give it a go. My only concern is with storage. I don’t have a NAS at home. As there is only a single USB port on a BBB I could connect a USB hub and connect both my DAC and hard drive to it….but is there a better way? I’d rather not share the USB port that’s feeding the DAC. (or is this a dumb question? I'm just a rank beginner with computer audio)
If you aim to quality, then a NAS mounted via NFS is strongly suggested when using BBB. It turns to be a very practical solution anyway, because you'll have a unique place where your music is stored, but accessible from every device connected to your home network.

My only concern is with storage. I don’t have a NAS at home.

I hope you realize it does not have to be a "NAS" device to share the files out. If you have an old computer lying around thats too slow to run the latest windows OS, it will likely run one of the stripped down Linux distros just fine, and then all you have to do is create an NFS or SMB share on it and BOOM!

NAS..

Is this a derivative of the Raspyfi project? Your UI is identical and the target platforms identical to Volumio...

Refer to above, from post #42

Hi Andrea
I'm happy to see a next-door neighbor developing a so interesting project...:)
I've downloaded the rPI version, but I found out that it do not support I2S out.
Do you have plan to release an update with this function enabled ?

I'm already using rPI with an I2S DAC and wouldn't go back to USB. Quality wise I2S is much better and no any glitch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.