Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

To Raspberry Pi/BeagleBone Black/CuBox/UDOO owners: RuneAudio is looking for testers
To Raspberry Pi/BeagleBone Black/CuBox/UDOO owners: RuneAudio is looking for testers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2013, 03:34 PM   #11
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

One of my plans for the week I am not working over christmas will be to dig into a recently purchased Raspberry Pi, and an Arduino unit.

I was looking at the RaspyFI, but I will look into your system as well. Have you looked at all into using the GPIO for I2S output directly from the rPi? I am using USB input to my DAC currently, but plan on building a new DAC this spring which will take I2S directly. If I built the rPi into the case, it would be real hi fi network playing machine.

Edit : I see you have I2S on your radar in your forum. Thanks!

Last edited by Bones13; 12th December 2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12th December 2013, 03:44 PM   #12
scopeboy is offline scopeboy  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Yeah, there have been some great developments in I2S, but I don't have the hacker skills to integrate it into my own music player setup. Would be great if someone could do it for us!

I think so far a few people have written their own customised drivers for various I2S DACs and so far they all run the DAC as a slave, with the Pi's I2S port generating the clocks. A generic driver that allowed you to choose master or slave mode, set MCLK division ratios, switch between external crystals with a GPIO pin and so on, would be awesome.

You can count me in as a BB tester!

Last edited by scopeboy; 12th December 2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12th December 2013, 11:13 PM   #13
ACX is offline ACX  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopeboy View Post
You can count me in as a BB tester!
Thank you, we will appreciate your feedback when the first beta for BB is released in days
Old 12th December 2013, 11:51 PM   #14
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice! Thank you for your contribution. Going to get a BB in time for the first beta for BB.
Old 12th December 2013, 11:59 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
Very nice! Thank you for your contribution. Going to get a BB in time for the first beta for BB.
You are the guy behind HiFiDUINO, right? I knee before your experience and I'm honored to submit our work to your tests
Old 13th December 2013, 02:11 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Don't do that. We are all peers contributing to the fun.

Did everyone just go and ordered a BB? It is out of stock everywhere...
Old 13th December 2013, 08:32 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Did everyone just go and ordered a BB? It is out of stock everywhere...
We got 3 boards from Farnell about 3 weeks ago. I just checked and i seems it's out of stock there too.
If you also plan to get a power adaptor, I would only suggest to pay attention to which one to buy, to avoid the mistake I made. I chose the model they suggested in combination to the BB, only to realize later that the plug was not the right one: mine was 4mm shorter and it made a loosy contact (2.1mm vs 2.5mm, the standard for BB). As they refused to replace them with the right ones, I had to buy an adapter plug... so make sure to check the plug type before buying.
Old 13th December 2013, 07:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I plan on using a linear low noise supply. Probably minimum gain as there should be plenty of local switching supplies in the board. But it it is always a good thing to prevent more noise from entering the system.
Old 13th December 2013, 08:40 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I plan on using a linear low noise supply. Probably minimum gain as there should be plenty of local switching supplies in the board. But it it is always a good thing to prevent more noise from entering the system.
I totally agree. In my DIY experiences I learnt that the quality of the power supply usually has a relevant impact on the sound.
I saw many people in forums looking for projects to build a linear 5V on the cheap, to power on these single-pc boards. Do you have a good one to suggest to them?
Old 17th December 2013, 05:54 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I like the TPS7A47 ultra low noise regulator

I have just received the dual supply from diyinhk: 4.17uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator 3.3V/5V 1Ax2 - DIYINHK

You can use one to power the RP or BB and the other to power the DAC or the USB interface.

To Raspberry Pi/BeagleBone Black/CuBox/UDOO owners: RuneAudio is looking for testersHide this!Advertise here!