To Raspberry Pi/BeagleBone Black/CuBox/UDOO owners: RuneAudio is looking for testers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice Homepage ;)
The download is complete and after work I will give it a try.
I have some different systems running at home (Mint,Arch,Win7/8&IPod Touch) and
will give you a feedback. Probably my Topping TP30 will work with your system.
Have some problems to use the USB Input. The most systems don't see it as an audiosystem.

I have both the pi and bbb. I'm looking forward to testing both. I'm interested in hooking up a TAS5713 to the i2c bus.

Speaker Amplifier and Modulator - Mid/High-Power Amplifier - TAS5713 - TI.com

Some features
  • 25-W Into an 8- Load From a 20-V Supply
  • One Serial Audio Input (Two Audio Channels)
  • I2C Address Selection Pin (Chip Select)
  • Supports 8-kHz to 48-kHz Sample Rate (LJ/RJ/I2S)
  • I2C Serial Control Interface Operational Without MCLK
  • Requires Only 3.3 V and PVDD
  • No External Oscillator: Internal Oscillator for Automatic Rate Detection
  • 106-dB SNR, A-Weighted

Here is a picture of the board I rescued from my Nexus Q:
JGVOOrcVgJOuOxkH

Andrea,

Have Rune Audio working on the Raspberry PI.

Control by a laptop using wifi. Music on a desktop using wifi. Cheap USB to Spdif converter.

Music quality as good as music player on Raspbian, apart from occasional pops.

Will try to connect a server by cable in case the pops are wifi.

Good start, looking forward to the developments.

Andy

Andrea,

Have Rune Audio working on the Raspberry PI.

Control by a laptop using wifi. Music on a desktop using wifi. Cheap USB to Spdif converter.

Music quality as good as music player on Raspbian, apart from occasional pops.

Will try to connect a server by cable in case the pops are wifi.

Good start, looking forward to the developments.

Andy
Hi RAndyB, thank you for trying RuneAudio. Tuning the Raspberry Pi for the maximum performance is a challenge we are working on, and we need this kind of feedbacks because every setup is a whole other story. Can you tell me more details about yours? Which USB to Spdif converter are you using?

About the occasional pops problems: I'm not sure it's a wi-fi issue, but you can try to apply some tweaks and see if they disappear:

1) Go to MENU > Settings and under "Sound quality tweaks" select "OrionV2" profile
2) Go to MENU > Database, click on your mounted storage and remove it. Then add it back but this time click on "show advanced settings" and set "Rsize" to "4096" and "Wsize" to "8192".
3) As last resource, go to MENU > MPD and increase the "Buffer before play" value

Let me know if it improves performances.

Ciao!

Last edited:
Which USB to Spdif converter are you using?

1) Go to MENU > Settings and under "Sound quality tweaks" select "OrionV2" profile
2) Go to MENU > Database, click on your mounted storage and remove it. Then add it back but this time click on "show advanced settings" and set "Rsize" to "4096" and "Wsize" to "8192".
3) As last resource, go to MENU > MPD and increase the "Buffer before play" value

Let me know if it improves performances.

Andrea,

Muse 2704 converter
OrionV2 profile seemed to make little difference.
Rsize 4096 does.
Experimenting with a usb drive attached to a very quiet, rather slow, netbook; works well with um3ggh1u/4096/8192.

Andy

Last edited:
Andrea,

Muse 2704 converter
OrionV2 profile seemed to make little difference.
Rsize 4096 does.
Experimenting with a usb drive attached to a very quiet, rather slow, netbook; works well with um3ggh1u/4096/8192.

Andy

Hi Andy,
try this mod:

connect with ssh console on Raspberry:

edit this file: /var/www/command/orion_optimize.sh at line 160

replace this line:
Code:
echo 100000 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_latency_ns

with:
Code:
echo [B]500000 [/B]> /proc/sys/kernel/sched_latency_ns

change kernel profile to default, commit changes, then re-select OrionV2 and commit again.

let us know if it improves.

Simone.

Last edited:
edit this file: /var/www/command/orion_optimize.sh at line 160
replace this line:
Code:
echo 100000 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_latency_ns
with:
Code:
echo [B]500000 [/B]> /proc/sys/kernel/sched_latency_ns
change kernel profile to default, commit changes, then re-select OrionV2 and commit again.

Simone,

that is the line within the " If OrionV2" section, I guess?

Did that, but no difference.

Just used Raspbian/Music Player again to check what I am hearing; definitely no pops or clicks.

Hope you can make RuneAudio work - the interface is good.

One oddity - when I tried to play a track that was not online, it started playing (nosound, of course), then could not delete from the playlist.

Andy

Last edited:
Hi Andrea,
I have a Cubie Board 2 on the way that I was planning to configure with Voyage MPD, but Rune sounds very interesting. Is there any way I can help you to get an image working on Cubbie 2?

Thanks
John
Hi MrSlim, right now we don't have any Cubieboard in hand to work on, but it's in our radar and we'd love to support it. Porting shouldn't be difficult but, as on the other platforms, testing it in different setups is required to deliver a stable release. Can I count on you as betatester when we manage to grab a board? :)

This news comes with great timing to me. I've just been planning to build a low-power music server, and with the vast number of hardware and software options, I've just about settled on Raspberry Pi and MPD. I plan to set it up with the Pi's built in analog audio output, and if it doesn't sound good enough, buy a HiFi Berry. I will be digging into this Rune software more soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.